Latest Threads
- by DrHax
- by Bugula

Old May 12th, 2009, 08:57 PM   #976
p1zl3
----

Default Re: O/T computer help desk thread

Quote:
Anyone else having trouble with Firefox opening S L O W L Y ?
My Firefox rages!!! Beats the nuts off any other browser on the planet.... Did you DL any new plugins or apps? Also, Firefox can be pretty RAM intensive, so closing non-crucial programs like media-player or even those lame-ass gadgets (Vista only) will provide a significant performance increase.

...lemme know if that helps.
p1zl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 04:10 AM   #977
Steve White
Forum Member

yeah I'm a huge FireFox fan. It launches slowly for me but I usually have 25 or more tabs open and it is not unusual for it to be using 6 to 700 MB of RAM.

VISTA is a friggin pig. Turn off all those gadgets like p1zl3 sez and personally I've turned off pretty much every visual aid that it has. Once I was finished killing eye candy and bullshit it looks like Win2K (or for non techy's, it looks like the old Windows 98). It is much much faster now although I still can not see a single significant feature that would make anyone upgrade.

Don't argue with idiots, people watching may not be able to tell the difference.
Steve White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 10:12 AM   #978
p1zl3
----

Quote:
VISTA is a friggin pig... I still can not see a single significant feature that would make anyone upgrade.
True fact Jack! I'm running Win-XP (SP3) ~Black Edition and I have absolutely no complaints. Every system I build or upgrade gets Vista nuked from it and XP put on. I hear the upcoming (in beta right now) Win7 is gonna be a greased scream'n OS... but same was said about Vista, so guess we'll see, right?

...in semation: Vista!!!
Old May 13th, 2009, 11:07 AM   #979
Ace of Shades
Forum Member

Im with everyone else, Vista is about the biggest piece of crap I have ran. But for the moment its working, so I'm not going to screw with it. When it goes tits up, like it has on my other machines in the past, Linux will be coming to the rescue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkl Ian View Post
Anyone else having trouble with Firefox opening S L O W L Y ?
Mine has been mind numbingly slow for the past couple of days. I have also been having problems with youtube loading the headder for the page and nothing. Then again I always blame that on youtube because when I'm on there they're always doing "site maintenance"
I found it in a shop in Raton New Mexico. I bought it for a quarter. Cracked me up it was called a Gay Camper. It must be old as hell. They would pull that shit off the shelf now days. Because some Homo would get offended.
If you don't chew big red then FUCK YOU
Ace of Shades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 03:19 PM   #980
p1zl3
----

Quote:
...Linux will be coming to the rescue.
Gotta love open source! Only problem is having to run emulators for every windows based program you launch, but as far as tweaks, cutting edge design and durability are concerned; Linux/Ubuntu/Madriva etc etc etc, is top knotch! (not to mention it's %100 free!)
I've been running Windows based OS's/directory organizers since the glory days of WinTree and DOS, so I have a bias or two; but it's a time-tested relationship!

...oh, and f*ck MAC! Steve Jobs can blow me! Macintosh is a hype perpetuated company and their systems lack functionality, tailorability, and overall dependability! Only thing MAC has going for it is aesthetics, but who really gives a flying-f*ck if the little LED in the front of your laptop pulses when it's charging?!?!? Is that worth the $1500 extra bucks you spent to buy it?

Ok, I'm done bitching...
Old May 13th, 2009, 04:24 PM   #981
Ace of Shades
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1zl3 View Post
Gotta love open source! Only problem is having to run emulators for every windows based program you launch, but as far as tweaks, cutting edge design and durability are concerned; Linux/Ubuntu/Madriva etc etc etc, is top knotch! (not to mention it's %100 free!)
I've been running Windows based OS's/directory organizers since the glory days of WinTree and DOS, so I have a bias or two; but it's a time-tested relationship!

...oh, and f*ck MAC! Steve Jobs can blow me! Macintosh is a hype perpetuated company and their systems lack functionality, tailorability, and overall dependability! Only thing MAC has going for it is aesthetics, but who really gives a flying-f*ck if the little LED in the front of your laptop pulses when it's charging?!?!? Is that worth the $1500 extra bucks you spent to buy it?

Ok, I'm done bitching...

I actually like macs. Its like ubuntu for old people. And without OS X we wouldn't have Vista. Yay microsoft, stealing someones idea and making it crappy-er
Then again I haven't liked windows sence they booted DOS
I found it in a shop in Raton New Mexico. I bought it for a quarter. Cracked me up it was called a Gay Camper. It must be old as hell. They would pull that shit off the shelf now days. Because some Homo would get offended.
Old May 13th, 2009, 05:10 PM   #982
Steve White
Forum Member

I became hardcore on the Amiga 500`s and first went online with a 300 baud modem. I think people forget how far it has come in a very short time.

It wasn`t that long ago that we waited 5 minutes just to see if the machine successfully booted up. Had a full muti tasking SVGA graphical windows and mouse based OS with full stereo and 4096 colors that only took up 3 floppies.

I`ve used lots of OS`s and like most all of them. Anyone remember installing Win95 from floppies...that sucked huge although a tech could make a good living in those days.

Don't argue with idiots, people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Last edited by Steve White; May 13th, 2009 at 05:31 PM.
Old May 13th, 2009, 06:36 PM   #983
Ace of Shades
Forum Member

Does that mean that I'm WAY out of times cus I still have 5 1/4 floppies for my atari

Old May 14th, 2009, 06:43 AM   #984
Steve White
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace of Shades View Post
Does that mean that I'm WAY out of times cus I still have 5 1/4 floppies for my atari
The Atari ST was a pretty kick ass machine in the day and you still see 25 year old Atari's in recording studio's earning their keep.

That said... what is wrong with you that you kept 5.25" disks? You must be a serious pack rat

Old May 22nd, 2009, 08:34 PM   #985
Behemoth
Forum Member

OK all you guys with the virii kicking your asses this little bugger is the shit.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...srkey=usb-2110

Hook up any drive to another pc and it acts just like it's a removeable drive so you can scan it with booting it up, and all the virii on it. I ran Malwarebytes on a drive and had my McAfee 8.5i Enterprise with OAS enabled and it found about 50 virii on it and deleted them. Malwarebytes found another nine buggers and cleaned them. I cleaned and defragged the drive and when I reinstalled it it was good to go. Oh and it's the shit for ghosting drives too.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 10:53 AM   #986
p1zl3
----

Quote:
OK all you guys with the virii kicking your asses this little bugger is the shit.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...srkey=usb-2110
...I've seen this somewhere (some forum or blog) but had never given it a try. Thanks for the share!
Old May 23rd, 2009, 07:33 PM   #987
XISLED
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1zl3 View Post
...I've seen this somewhere (some forum or blog) but had never given it a try. Thanks for the share!
i use something similar when doing house calls for clients. like if i need to scan thier drive on my laptop out of thier system. they work rather well.

i like it because i have a stack of hard drives i use for different thing and use it when i need to retrieve something from them and dont have to keep everything in my tower.

roger
Old May 23rd, 2009, 07:47 PM   #988
XISLED
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

for all you techies out there.

my first comp was a radio shack trs-80 followed by the commodore vic-20. i love those days. it made learning fun.

for all you folks out there who say vista sux..well unfortunately you are right if you have anything less than vista ultimate. i use ultimate on all my comps and both laptops. i will say tho i dont use the official version i use slipstreamed and streamlined versions off the net.

i love open sourece its a great learning tool.

windows has a program out there called virtual pc.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/vir...c/default.aspx

i use this on a seperate partition and ren muliple oses on my machine now. so when im doing a remote desktop i dont have to remember how to do something i can just look at it on my tower at same time i have vista on one monitor and xp on another and me on one etc..

try it out.

roger.

300 baud. dam that was fast........
Old June 4th, 2009, 10:20 AM   #989
TheTinMan
Forum Member

This may be o/t for this thread but I didn't want to start a new one. Is there a trick to using a gif for your avatar and having it actually move? Should it be uploaded and not linked? Or linked and not uploaded? Am I missing something? Thanks!
TheTinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2009, 12:53 PM   #990
p1zl3
----

Quote:
Is there a trick to using a gif for your avatar and having it actually move?

Yeah, find the *.gif you desire to use as an avitar and save it to your desktop (it wont look animated in windows, no prob). Now, with photobucket.com (or similar pic sharing website) upload the image into your gallery.Find the direct link tab and copy the address... Paste the address in your "User CP\avatar" address bar and you're rock'n!!!!

Make sure the image is "150 by 150 pixels or 48.8 KB (whichever is smaller). " (Sometimes hard to do with *.gif)

Old June 4th, 2009, 04:26 PM   #991
TheTinMan
Forum Member

Right on, I've done that, but my pic is 160 px by something smaller, maybe something about when the site converts it down it loses the motion. Hmmmm... Thanks!
TheTinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2009, 04:55 AM   #992
Steve White
Forum Member

lots of forums don't support animated gif's and 99% of software is incapable of resizing an animated gif while maintaining the animation.

Old June 5th, 2009, 04:46 PM   #993
p1zl3
----

Quote:
Right on, I've done that, but my pic is 160 px by something smaller, maybe something about when the site converts it down it loses the motion. Hmmmm... Thanks!
--You can drop that *.gif size down and not lose animation at photobucket.com by choosing the "edit" function, then "resize image - avatar size".
Should work for ya!
Old June 25th, 2009, 10:23 AM   #994
Unkl Ian
Trouble Maker and Bad Influence

I want to forward traffic from one of my domains to another domain.Specifically Flyingeyeball.net to FlyingEyeballS.net

Sounds simple so far.
I had it that way once, it got changed somehow.

Of course, I don't remember exactly how it was done,
and Godaddy Tech Support is "inconsistent".

I seem to remember it was a 2 step process,
the first was the address in the forward box,
The second involved DNS numbers, or Nameservers,
or some sort of Voodoo.

Any suggestions ?

www.FlyingEyeballs.net

Last edited by Unkl Ian; June 26th, 2009 at 09:40 AM.
Unkl Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 11:07 AM   #995
carcentric
Grateful Member #484

I just ordered a Dell laptop for my son's 30th birthday present, and it comes with Windows Vista Home Basic SP1 loaded. Dell would load it with XP Pro instead, but for $150 extra.

Can Windows XP Home Edition UPGRADE with SP2 be used to "retrograde" the system, or would a whole new Windows XP Home Edition with SP2 (non-upgrade version) be required to do that?

Thanks,
Old July 8th, 2009, 01:45 PM   #996
oldvolks
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcentric View Post
I just ordered a Dell laptop for my son's 30th birthday present, and it comes with Windows Vista Home Basic SP1 loaded. Dell would load it with XP Pro instead, but for $150 extra.

Can Windows XP Home Edition UPGRADE with SP2 be used to "retrograde" the system, or would a whole new Windows XP Home Edition with SP2 (non-upgrade version) be required to do that?

Thanks,
You would need a full version and a valid product key. Unless he is having comparability issues with a printer or such just keep vista. your going to have to get use to it sooner or later

just my $.16 (adjusted for inflation)

Last edited by oldvolks; July 8th, 2009 at 01:59 PM.
oldvolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 04:10 PM   #997
Behemoth
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldvolks View Post
You would need a full version and a valid product key. Unless he is having comparability issues with a printer or such just keep vista. your going to have to get use to it sooner or later

just my $.16 (adjusted for inflation)

Yeah what he said. Windows 7 is just around the corner and it's Vista2 so get used to it. And Macs are cool but unless you're using it for work it's just a computer like any Windows pc. They use Intel processors like a Win pc and the ones at work use Microsoft Office for Mac on them and they also use Virtual PC which is WinXP.
It's basically an OS battle now. But since WinPCs use Quicktime it's a wash right.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 07:16 PM   #998
Unkl Ian

Photoshop guys: What the Fuck is a "scratch disk" ???????

I'm trying to crop a pic in Photoshop, won't do it, because
the scratch disc is full. Lots of space on the hard drive.

If you hear a loud bang, that will be my laptop.

www.FlyingEyeballs.net

Old August 23rd, 2009, 09:00 PM   #999
garlos
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Look in PS preferences, On windows, Edit > Preferences I think.

You should see a Scratch Disk setting under one of the sections.

Like "D:\Temp", etc.

Once you find out where it is, go to it outside of PS and delete some files to make room.
garlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2009, 06:20 PM   #1000
Unkl Ian

The two options it gives me are "Startup" and "C:|"
I've tried both, makes no difference.

Never had this problem before, recently reinstalled everything with a new hard drive, now I'm trying to make new business cards.Not having much luck so far.

www.FlyingEyeballs.net

Tags
computer, computer help, computer help desk, pos computer, qwerty