- by Bugula

Old October 20th, 2014, 11:38 AM   #76
roudyb
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums
Post Re: 70 VRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHax View Post
I think it'd be easier to see if theres anyplace that can cut you some custom glass. Then again i'm not sure if theres any place like in ireland. I'm an uncultured idiot. Alot of the things we have in the states don't exist in many european areas.. If not i'd be vary wary of cutting OG glass. I'd make a carboard template and see if it freaking lines up... you might be better to see if you can get some plexiglass or something for a temp fix.. If you need a dot logo on it just look up line and make a stencil.. some quick spray paint from the inside.... good as gold... I'd find a place to cut some custom glass.
Hiya Dr. You are correct in your assumption. The town I live in is small but here in Ireland the car culture isn't the same as back in Kansas / U.S. There isn't the same passion for classic cars or fanatic custom builds. So getting parts, services and the odd doo-hickey bolt is much harder. Thank Buddha for the internet.

That's why I'm going to give it a go cutting the laminate glass. I might try cutting the side glass first to get a feel for it and then try the windshield. I've made cardboard templates but it's just figuring out how far out I have to go to the edge.

Cheers
roudyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2014, 12:01 PM   #77
roudyb
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Engine Dropped

Hmm... something is missing here. I can't put my finger on it.

Here she is in all her 40 years of muck, rain, rust and
what-have-ya. This is going to take some time cleaning without the proper tools. Cest la vie.

Hang on a minute. This wasn't on the menu. Looks like the guide plate has removed itself from the PP. Not a team player, this won't look good on your permanent record

So after that good news, let the strip down begin:

The pics don't fully convey the greasy mess that lies before me but the fumes are strong and my head is light

Old October 20th, 2014, 02:10 PM   #78
alykat
Site Supporter

Default Re: 70 VRod

If you were thinking of cutting down the stock side windows, a word of caution. Original side glass is tempered glass and it won't cut, it will shatter. If on the other hand, you were going to cut side windows from a larger sheet of laminate safty glass you should be fine.
Old October 20th, 2014, 03:25 PM   #79
roudyb
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by alykat View Post
If you were thinking of cutting down the stock side windows, a word of caution. Original side glass is tempered glass and it won't cut, it will shatter. If on the other hand, you were going to cut side windows from a larger sheet of laminate safty glass you should be fine.
Thanks for the heads up AK. From my extensive obsessive research I found some amusing videos of people trying to reinvent the fine art of tempered glass cutting. It is amazing how the glass will instantly collapse. I'll definitely pass on that.

Once I find the glass tolerance I'll broadcast it here
Old October 20th, 2014, 03:43 PM   #80
roudyb
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Anatomy of a NUT

Here's one for you newbies, like myself, out there. And for you machinists and all that is metal guys, take 5.

As I was trying to remove the exhaust appendages I came across a reluctant participant in the form of one NUT.

After a bucket of spray and vocal persuasion I broke out the hammer and chisel. Nice and easy does it I split the nut and happy days. So much for the happy thought, the exhaust still refused to come off. It was coming so far and then getting caught up.

After further examination I realised that a nut is made up of two parts. An outer part and an inner, softer part. I could be wrong but something like a brass lining.

I removed the outer part but part of the brass lining was still on the exhaust bolt and wouldn't let the exhaust slip off. This was a bit of an epiphany for me. Perhaps this is basic 101 stuff but it's all new to me and this is why I am really enjoying this build.

Old October 20th, 2014, 07:29 PM   #81
DrHax
Forum Member

Heres a thought if you can't get two pieces of large laminate glass. why not get two smaller ones and make a split windshield?
Just a suggestion..

Also a suggestion. Modern day beetle replacement glass is laminate! So stuff from PGW and etc. I know because we had to have the glass on our mexibug replaced... Turns out mexican glass is also laminate as well So if you can't find a place to cut laminate glass for you.. get a laminate modern bug windscreen! Hope i can help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg quick idea..jpg (157 Bytes, 268 views)

Dude...you are sooo fucked!

Last edited by DrHax; October 20th, 2014 at 07:43 PM.
DrHax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2014, 04:46 AM   #82
roudyb
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHax View Post
Heres a thought if you can't get two pieces of large laminate glass. why not get two smaller ones and make a split windshield?
Just a suggestion..

Also a suggestion. Modern day beetle replacement glass is laminate! So stuff from PGW and etc. I know because we had to have the glass on our mexibug replaced... Turns out mexican glass is also laminate as well So if you can't find a place to cut laminate glass for you.. get a laminate modern bug windscreen! Hope i can help
Good tips to know about the modern glass. If I do get stuck that would be a good starting point. My neighbour has a new bug, hmmm....

And the split window is an option but to get it to look right you would have to do something like in your ref pic. The machine and finishing skills would be beyond my grasp at the mo'.

I'm quite happy to give a go at cutting the glass. From all the forums and vids that I have researched and yes, I'm a great book jockey but knowledge is the key to fantastic success/failures. I'm swinging toward success.

Thanks again for the input.
Old October 22nd, 2014, 05:25 AM   #83
roudyb
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Clean, Clean, Clean

Pushrods nice and shiny (not that they will be seen but I will sleep good at night knowing )

Cleaning the muck and rust off the exhaust components

Clean me Seymour!!

Last edited by roudyb; October 22nd, 2014 at 05:27 AM.
Old October 22nd, 2014, 08:51 AM   #84
DrHax
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roudyb View Post
Good tips to know about the modern glass. If I do get stuck that would be a good starting point. My neighbour has a new bug, hmmm....

And the split window is an option but to get it to look right you would have to do something like in your ref pic. The machine and finishing skills would be beyond my grasp at the mo'.

I'm quite happy to give a go at cutting the glass. From all the forums and vids that I have researched and yes, I'm a great book jockey but knowledge is the key to fantastic success/failures. I'm swinging toward success.

Thanks again for the input.
Yeah I mean modern bug windshield as not new beetle I mean brand new replacement glass. since all new glass has to mean the DOT standards. PGW is laminate and any other of the new chinese companys. Also if you want to spend some ching and get an assured peice. OEM mexican beetle glass is laminate. but shipping from mexico to ireland would be a bigger bitch then from mexico to minnesota..

Dude...you are sooo fucked!
DrHax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2014, 04:43 PM   #85
roudyb
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

More Thoughts on the Windshield

I think I have the windshield sorted.

Old October 28th, 2014, 03:08 AM   #86
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

As for the gap between the windshield & metal, somewhere in a spiral notebook I have that dimension written down, could take me months to find it
Before I installed the glass (original sized glass, I knew I was gonna chop the top someday) in my VolksRod, I checked just that & wrote it down, that was 4 years ago almost to the day, I have filled many notebooks over the last 4 years, they are scattered all over the house, garage, in boxes

IF & WHEN I find it, unless some one else fills us in, I'll let ya know

Ron

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2014, 08:25 AM   #87
roudyb
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmaster1766 View Post
As for the gap between the windshield & metal, somewhere in a spiral notebook I have that dimension written down, could take me months to find it
Before I installed the glass (original sized glass, I knew I was gonna chop the top someday) in my VolksRod, I checked just that & wrote it down, that was 4 years ago almost to the day, I have filled many notebooks over the last 4 years, they are scattered all over the house, garage, in boxes

IF & WHEN I find it, unless some one else fills us in, I'll let ya know

Ron
Thanks Ron, I'd really appreciate that. I might have to go on my blind faith as I only have a limited time in the space I'm in so I have to get her water tight and road ready before Xmas. And Irish winters are cold and wet. Now that I think about it, Irish weather is mainly cold and wet

Hope to have the engine back together this week with all the pretty painted tin on it. I do like clean shiny parts.

Since I have you on the line here and I did use the search tool but no luck. I would like to use the original VW headlights with some sort of encasement that resembles a bucket headlight. I'm on a budget but I would also like to recycle anything and everything. Save the world and all that.

Cheers
Old October 28th, 2014, 12:43 PM   #88
roudyb
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

It's the Premiere for the Primer

Okay, rattling cans and making fumes.

Not too sure about this silver exhaust paint, looks cheap.

These look white but are indeed silver.

And while we wait for the primer to dry I took the wire brush to the pushrod tubes.

Old October 28th, 2014, 04:52 PM   #89
roudyb
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

And a Lick of Paint

After a couple coats of primer we go with some flat black enamel.

Flat black was the only option on the day and when I went back they had the gloss. So one coat of flat and two of gloss. Hope that pleases the 'Paint Gods'

Old November 6th, 2014, 04:16 PM   #90
d3ghia
Rabble Rouser

Member Photo Albums

It looks great!

If it is a real VW though, after a few months of running, all those parts will be covered in oil and dirt...LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkl Ian View Post
Don't be Fucking stupid.

The bolt is Fucked, it won't fix it's self,
the Bolt Fairy won't fix it, and you can't fix it.

I know there is a Full Moon, but quit Fucking around.
d3ghia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2014, 10:11 AM   #91
roudyb
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3ghia View Post
It looks great!

If it is a real VW though, after a few months of running, all those parts will be covered in oil and dirt...LOL!
I often ask why I'm cleaning the underside nut that no one will ever see. Lunacy? Too much roadrunner cartoons on a Saturday, as I'm the metaphorical Wile-E sawing, welding and cutting. Hmmm... new name, new paint scheme.

Thanks for the sort of guided inspiration. Now where did I put that pile of ACME bird feed.
Old November 18th, 2014, 01:24 PM   #92
Spink
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Coming along very nicely. Good to see another volksrod on the island. I'm prepping mine for drag racing next year. I must update my build thread.
Spink is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1970, beetle, fernon chop, volkswagen, vrod