Newest Member: Tylerted

Latest Threads
- by DrHax
- by Bugula

Old February 10th, 2010, 08:48 PM   #1051
dcrashdummy
Forum Member

Default Re: O/T computer help desk thread

We manage 2 spam filters as well and BLOCK inbound spam to the tune of 100,000 a day at times. Yeah... Spam sucks!

Suprised that no one mentioned Malwarebytes in the "toolbox" of IT tools. I use it and push it out to alot of my users and recommend they load it on their home PC. It works REALLY well. its simple to use and gets the job done.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/
dcrashdummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2010, 08:48 PM   #1052
Tenchi
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcentric View Post
Neither drive in my Dell desktop can read a CD (they both used to, but now they say "insert a disk" when there is a disk already inserted).

When I look in the Device Manager, it lists:
SAMSUNG CD-ROM SC-148A and
SAMSUOG! CE-S/SW!SW-1353S (probably should be SAMSUNG CD-R/RW RW-1353S)
Silly question have you tried a production disk (non burned disk)?

Another thing to try is cleaning the inside with a lens cleaner disk.
Old February 11th, 2010, 09:13 AM   #1053
carcentric
Grateful Member #484

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchi View Post
Silly question have you tried a production disk (non burned disk)?
Yes - same outcome ("Insert disk" message).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchi View Post
Another thing to try is cleaning the inside with a lens cleaner disk.
Would that affect how the drive is listed in the Device Manager?
Old February 11th, 2010, 12:30 PM   #1054
backpackr63
Forum Member

Why do you think the drive is "contaminated"? Is there a yellow exclamation point next to it? In the device manager you can right click on the drive and uninstall it. Reboot the computer. If the drive itself is working OK then the computer should reinstall the drive when it boots back up.

Now where the hell does this part go?
backpackr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2010, 04:28 PM   #1055
carcentric
Grateful Member #484

Quote:
Originally Posted by backpackr63 View Post
Why do you think the drive is "contaminated"? Is there a yellow exclamation point next to it?
I meant that the device NAME is not what it should be in the Device Manager list (SAMSUOG! CE-S/SW!SW-1353S instead of SAMSUNG CD-R/RW RW-1353S). No yellow text - all black.

Quote:
In the device manager you can right click on the drive and uninstall it. Reboot the computer. If the drive itself is working OK then the computer should reinstall the drive when it boots back up.
Didn't know that - thanks - I'll try it.
Old February 11th, 2010, 06:27 PM   #1056
carcentric
Grateful Member #484

Huzzah! Backpackr63's tip worked!

FWIW, I only uninstalled the R/RW drive, but when I rebooted, BOTH the R and R/RW drives worked . . . don't understand it, don't need to . . . THANKS!
Old February 15th, 2010, 10:16 AM   #1057
carcentric
Grateful Member #484

ARRRRGH! Backpackr63's tip no longer works - Device Manager is back to listing the E drive as SAMSUOG! CE-S/SW!SW-1353S (instead of SAMSUNG CD-R/RW RW-1353S) and I keep getting the "Insert Disk" error (with one in the drive).

Good news is the D drive (Read Only) is working correctly.

So do I need a new CD R/RW (E) drive?
Old February 15th, 2010, 11:53 AM   #1058
backpackr63
Forum Member

It sounds like the driver is getting corrupted. I've got one more thing for you to try. Go to the device manager, right click on the device, click on "properties", then click on the "driver" tab. Click on the "roll back driver" button. That should install the previous driver. If that does not work and the uninstalling/reinstalling does not work, I'm not sure what else to tell you.

Now where the hell does this part go?
backpackr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2010, 12:24 PM   #1059
SKIN
Forum Member

Quote:
It sounds like the driver is getting corrupted. I've got one more thing for you to try. Go to the device manager, right click on the device, click on "properties", then click on the "driver" tab. Click on the "roll back driver" button. That should install the previous driver. If that does not work and the uninstalling/reinstalling does not work, I'm not sure what else to tell you.
That should work, he could also update the driver if he has a copy of the driver laying around. But easiest would be your suggestion, just doing a roll back.
SKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2010, 12:53 PM   #1060
carcentric
Grateful Member #484

Quote:
. . . Go to the device manager, right click on the device, click on "properties", then click on the "driver" tab. Click on the "roll back driver" button. . . .
I get "No driver files have been backed up for this drive."

Both optical drives were installed (new) by Dell when they built the computer. "Update Driver" doesn't work for either D or E drives - I get "No better match can be found."
Old February 15th, 2010, 01:04 PM   #1061
Unkl Ian
Trouble Maker and Bad Influence

Drivers should be available online.

Microsoft operating systems have a habit of randomly forgetting stuff.

www.FlyingEyeballs.net

Unkl Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2010, 07:34 PM   #1062
SKIN
Forum Member

Quote:
I get "No driver files have been backed up for this drive."

Both optical drives were installed (new) by Dell when they built the computer. "Update Driver" doesn't work for either D or E drives - I get "No better match can be found."
Have you checked out these links?...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
and...
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...b-d19f97fd4fa3

Quote:
Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
In the right pane, click UpperFilters.

Note You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click UpperFilters only. If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to step 7.
On the Edit menu, click Delete.
When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
In the right pane, click LowerFilters.

Note If you do not see the LowerFilters registry entry, unfortunately this content cannot help you any further. Go to the "Next Steps" section for information about how you can find more solutions or more help on the Microsoft Web site.
On the Edit menu, click Delete.
When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
Exit Registry Editor.
Restart the computer.
or...
On the first link try the "fix it for me" button.

Last edited by SKIN; February 15th, 2010 at 07:40 PM.
SKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2010, 10:50 AM   #1063
carcentric
Grateful Member #484

I've now officially tried all the suggestions (to get the CD-R/W working) without success (thanks, anyway) and solved the problem by buying a new computer.

So, now I'm wondering: Can I use my old computer (running XP) as an external drive for my new computer (running Win7)?

I don't want to bring all my files over, but I want to have easy access to them. Both computers can be connected to my router, if that would help.

Thanks again,
P.S.: Since posting this question, I remembered I have a 60G USB external hard drive - I dumped all my docs from the old computer onto it and can now access them from the new computer. FWIW, the Win7 documentation seems to suggest you can only share files with other Win7 computers (not between a Win7 and a XP, for instance).

Last edited by carcentric; March 3rd, 2010 at 08:50 AM.
carcentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2010, 06:56 AM   #1064
Mikelrome
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Anyone use this?
GRC | SpinRite 6.0 FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions

Mikelrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2010, 11:13 PM   #1065
GlowstickNinja
Forum Member

Quote:
I've now officially tried all the suggestions (to get the CD-R/W working) without success (thanks, anyway) and solved the problem by buying a new computer.

So, now I'm wondering: Can I use my old computer (running XP) as an external drive for my new computer (running Win7)?

I don't want to bring all my files over, but I want to have easy access to them. Both computers can be connected to my router, if that would help.

Thanks again,
P.S.: Since posting this question, I remembered I have a 60G USB external hard drive - I dumped all my docs from the old computer onto it and can now access them from the new computer. FWIW, the Win7 documentation seems to suggest you can only share files with other Win7 computers (not between a Win7 and a XP, for instance).

Hey man if you, or anyone else, ever needs help with their puter I can help generally. I repaired computers professionally for 6 years. One of my big hobbies in life is building extreme gaming rigs. Anyways any computer running windows can be networked with windows 7 you just have to do it right. Networking is one of those things that can get very complicated very quickly.

I have 6 computers in my place. 3 run win 7 and one linux and two xp. They all talk to each other and sync files with each other....

I actually am installing a full 10" touch screen media computer in my vrod. Will be a full functioning computer with satellite radio/tv, hdtv antennas, wi-fi, bluetooth, and 500gb of music storage. pretty crazy stuff.

Anyways if anyone ever needs help don't be afraid to PM me!
Old March 27th, 2010, 02:20 PM   #1066
purplemyth
moody witch

Member Photo Albums

nevermind~
My attraction to volksrods is that these are bottom-feeders where things are still real ... people scraping together parts, doing their own work and often on a tight budget. Real hot rodding is still alive here.
purplemyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2010, 06:37 PM   #1067
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

OK, almost 2 weeks ago my kid was on youtube and my computer crashed. The screen flashed a couple different colors and then the computer stopped working. I restarted it but kept getting a boot error, drive not found.

So, I talk to the IT guy I know and he says to bring it in and he will fix it. I take it to him and he tells me it's the hard drive. It has a SATA 500gb 7200rpm drive in it. So, I buy a new SATA 1 tb 7200 rpm drive. He installs it but can't link to the old drive to retrieve all my files. He said he may be able to if he buys something that hooks the hard drive to a USB port or something. Anyway, I was running Windows Vista and Microsoft Office (among other things) and now he put Microsoft 7 and Microsoft Office on it...except they are not genuine copies!! He buys this crap off Alibaba.com and sells it on ebay.

So, now I'm going to try another guy recommended by a friend or a local shop recommended by another friend. I don't really mind spending the money on the new hard drive if the old one couldn't be fixed but I would like genuine software on it. Plus, the main thing I wanted was to get all my pictures and files off the old hard drive. I haven't backed anything up to disc in a while.

I'm just venting. I'm having to spend what little VW money I had on getting my computer fixed.

Quote:
No pics, but oh well, if you really, really need to see metal removed, turn off your computer and work on your car... ~ Ray-Dean
bugdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2010, 07:24 PM   #1068
GlowstickNinja
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugdust View Post
OK, almost 2 weeks ago my kid was on youtube and my computer crashed. The screen flashed a couple different colors and then the computer stopped working. I restarted it but kept getting a boot error, drive not found.

So, I talk to the IT guy I know and he says to bring it in and he will fix it. I take it to him and he tells me it's the hard drive. It has a SATA 500gb 7200rpm drive in it. So, I buy a new SATA 1 tb 7200 rpm drive. He installs it but can't link to the old drive to retrieve all my files. He said he may be able to if he buys something that hooks the hard drive to a USB port or something. Anyway, I was running Windows Vista and Microsoft Office (among other things) and now he put Microsoft 7 and Microsoft Office on it...except they are not genuine copies!! He buys this crap off Alibaba.com and sells it on ebay.

So, now I'm going to try another guy recommended by a friend or a local shop recommended by another friend. I don't really mind spending the money on the new hard drive if the old one couldn't be fixed but I would like genuine software on it. Plus, the main thing I wanted was to get all my pictures and files off the old hard drive. I haven't backed anything up to disc in a while.

I'm just venting. I'm having to spend what little VW money I had on getting my computer fixed.

Computer problems really suck. Especially when it is a hard drive that crashes. Knowing what i know of computers from fixing them for 6 years or so.....it's hard to get files off a crashed hard drive. Especially if it is a cyclic redundancy error (means the drive keeps restarting itself basically). Over the years I have impressed myself more than a couple times o what i was able to pull off of someones crashed hard drive. I can tell you right now that hooking it up to n external link via usb is no different than hooking it directly into the computer.

The first rule of having anything important on a computer is....make a backup.

As far as genuine software goes....I would always have legit copies of an operating system. It is like having a VW engine pieced together from 40+ parts from 40+ different motors....won't run too well.

Couple things to try with the hard drive:

Place inside two sealed sandwich bags. Place in freezer overnight. Remove hard drive from freezer and immediately hook up to the computer. You may be able to get some data off if the failure lies with the fluid dynamic bearing.

If the hard drive spins up and mounts to the operating system but you cannot see any files. Try using Phoenix FAT and NTFS file recovery software. Have used this many times and retrieved very important files this way.

***warning only try this if the hard drive is completely shot, and nothing else works*****
Remove circuit board from bottom of hard drive. You will need torx head drivers to do so. Be very careful when separating the two pieces. once you have liberated the board from the rest of the chassis preheat your oven to 180 degrees Fahrenheit. Place controller board on a cookie sheet supported by rolled up balls of aluminum foil. place in oven for 10 mins. No more no less. Remove from oven and let cool. Reassemble and see how it goes. This process is called re-flowing. Its a temporary fix but it repairs micro cracks in the soldering structure of the PCB.
Old April 1st, 2010, 06:30 PM   #1069
Unkl Ian
Trouble Maker and Bad Influence

www.FlyingEyeballs.net

Last edited by Unkl Ian; April 2nd, 2010 at 05:13 PM.
Unkl Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2010, 11:56 AM   #1070
hogey
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

as i always say..... only install what you can afford to lose!
hogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2010, 05:55 PM   #1071
scott s
Forum Member

I had a Trojan show up this morning. It tried to fool me into thinking XP security center had found a bunch of stuff and wanted be to buy an upgrade or enter a registration number.
I ran AVG and it found and removed it. I also ran Advanced System Care.

I no longer have anything in my task bar except the volume icon. I can't get to Windows Messenger or several other things. I even have trouble getting Firefox to open. The computer opens the "Open With" window and I can tell it to run, say, Windows Live Messenger or even Internet Explorer or anything. It asks me what program I want to use to open it. I can tell it to run, but nothing happens.

I tried to to system recovery and the same thing happens. I can go to the control panel and try to open the security center or add/delete programs and it tells me "application not found".

What the heck has happened and how do I fix it? I just did a reboot a couple of months ago. I sure as heck don't want to go through that again.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 06:00 PM   #1072
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Try starting it in Safe Mode and running the scans again. Read back up a little in this thread and see some of the programs different people use.

Quote:
No pics, but oh well, if you really, really need to see metal removed, turn off your computer and work on your car... ~ Ray-Dean
bugdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2010, 06:05 PM   #1073
purplemyth
moody witch

Member Photo Albums

yes, there are 2 programs you can get, you have to go to safe mode, download those programs , then scan scan scan! it'll eventually stop.
I get gliches now and then but these 2 programs help keep it down til I can get this reset!
it\s a pita! but you just have to keep at it, don't click on anything, hit ctrl + f4 to close those bad windows .
My attraction to volksrods is that these are bottom-feeders where things are still real ... people scraping together parts, doing their own work and often on a tight budget. Real hot rodding is still alive here.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 06:08 PM   #1074
purplemyth
moody witch

Member Photo Albums

http://www.volksrods.com/forum/showt...ghlight=trojan it was discussed here quite a bit too~
Old April 3rd, 2010, 06:09 PM   #1075
scott s
Forum Member

I'm a computer idiot...how do I start in safe mode.

The Trojan is in the virus vault in AVG (TrojanHorseCrypt.RTP) but I just seem to have lost some functions on the computer. Does that mean it's still there and active?

Tags
computer, computer help, computer help desk, pos computer, qwerty