- by 1slo3
- by 1slo3
- by Bugula

Old November 27th, 2007, 10:56 AM   #1
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums
Default Door Panels

So I spent my lunch hour sitting in my car listening to the stereo, and while I was sitting there I was doing what we all do and daydreaming about what I want to do to the inside, and I came up with something that I think sounds really cool, but I'm not sure how possible it is.

I made the door and quarter panels in my first bug so I know the process about the thin sheets of wood with foam and vinyl. And I've seen how to's before about making them more three dimensional by making simple designs with a second layer of wood on top of the first one.

So here's my idea, it's copyrighted! no stealing! if someone else did it before they travelled into the future saw mine and stole it, i want their names... lol, sorry....

anyway, the idea:

There's plenty of vintage pinups with the womans body basically in an "L" shape (legs flat, sitting either leaning forward slightly, or straight backed) and I'm thinking of putting that on the door panel so her legs would be along the bottom edge, ass in the rear corner, and back along the rear edge.

My initial thoughts were of very careful creation using multiple pieces of wood wrapped in foam and vinyl on the second layer. I say multiple because there'd have to be different colors for it to look right.

Then I thought that maybe i'm over complicating it and it just wouldn't look right, so maybe I should buy a blank fiberglass panel and have an artist friend paint the pin up on and then put a clear coat over it to protect it. but that sounds like a cheap cop out to me and i can't imagine being as proud as I would be if i actually did it right.. not that the glass way is wrong, it just seems lazy or something (no offense to anyone who thinks otherwise..)

Anyway, does anyone have a link to a how to for the 3-d style creations, or does anyone have any better ideas or thoughts on the idea?

Thanks!

"I never trust a fighting man who doesn't smoke or drink or at least cause a little trouble." -Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr.
===========
Feel free to stare and admire,
but kindly tell me if it's on fire!

1972 VolksRod "Effigy" Build Thread
1986 Honda Shadow VT1100 Work Thread
tattooed_pariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 11:01 AM   #2
onelowzuki
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums
Default Re: Door Panels

Find an artist friend that can make one out of clay or resin or whatever, make it so it sits flush against the door panel but 3-d facing out, then paint it to whatever you like
onelowzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 11:05 AM   #3
carcentric
Grateful Member #484

Get ya a pinup mudflap (or trace one at a truckstop) and scale that up. The silhouette will convey what it is without multiple layers or colors. Here's how that shape was used on a purse . . . .
Old November 27th, 2007, 11:10 AM   #4
Social_Joe
Forum Member

NOOOOOOOO avoid the trucker girl at all costs........
Social_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 11:15 AM   #5
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

yea, the trucker girl is a little cliched... i'll try and find an image of the one i'm thinking of, i think it's a Vargas but i'm not positive..
And that's part of the dificulty, i need multiple colors because one color for flesh tone, then another for hair, so i guess i just need two different colors.. but i want this thing detailed.. i'm a stereotypical virgo, we've got OCD, love tiny details and think everything is a failure until the 2,452th person tells us it looks good.. haha

"I never trust a fighting man who doesn't smoke or drink or at least cause a little trouble." -Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr.
===========

Old November 27th, 2007, 11:29 AM   #6
oldvolks
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

To late I did that way back in Dec. of 2007 after I read on a forum I use to go that some guy was going to do .............

Uhhh

What?

Well, What year is it today?

I am in 2007 now.

OH, well never mind.

oldvolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 11:29 AM   #7
Social_Joe
Forum Member

sept 1st..... completely understand
Old November 27th, 2007, 11:33 AM   #8
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

If you really want to do this, I'd see about "quilting" the pinup onto the panel. It'd be really easy to find fabric with color/b&w pinup images on it. Just find one you like, cut it out (aprox. 1/4" overhang on all sides) and sew this image to the panel material using the 1/4" overhang folded under. Then from the back side, incert "stuffing" into the pinup image. Instant 3-D. A good quilter would even be able to make certin areas of the image stand out more than others.
Old November 27th, 2007, 11:36 AM   #9
oldvolks
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

9/19/54

did I do that right?

oldvolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 11:56 AM   #10
carcentric
Grateful Member #484

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattooed_pariah View Post
. . . i'm a stereotypical virgo, we've got OCD, love tiny details and think everything is a failure until the 2,452th person tells us it looks good....
I'm no Virgo, but if details are important, that should be 2,452nd.
Old November 27th, 2007, 12:04 PM   #11
black_rat_bug
Forum Member

I cannot seem to find it, but someone photoshopped a pin-up style girl sitting on a VW emblem. That would be cool to see a stitched silhouette of that on a doorpanel.

Member Since Day Two, 2002!
black_rat_bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 01:51 PM   #12
emills
Forum Member

Ive been looking for some fabric with black and white pinups but i cant seem to find any. Any one know where I might locate some?
emills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 02:12 PM   #13
Social_Joe
Forum Member

http://www.volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18938 the photoshopped girl thread
Old November 27th, 2007, 02:34 PM   #14
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

hahaha, i'm going to lie and say i did the number confusion on purpose (th instead of nd..) truthfully i just hit four numbers at random and added th to the end :P

that quilting idea sounds like the best, i was already trying to figure out how to look up about using heat to seal part of the vinyl for definition lines but that quilting thing sounds waaay easier and like it would prolly look a lot better...

===========

Old November 27th, 2007, 02:48 PM   #15
purplemyth
moody witch

Member Photo Albums

saw once on a home improvement show, shaping with foam, then pushing the fabric into the cuts of the foam.
My attraction to volksrods is that these are bottom-feeders where things are still real ... people scraping together parts, doing their own work and often on a tight budget. Real hot rodding is still alive here.
purplemyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 03:13 PM   #16
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemyth View Post
saw once on a home improvement show, shaping with foam, then pushing the fabric into the cuts of the foam.

biggest problem with the foam shaping is the use of the stiffer foam to keep the desired shape. Soon as it gets a knee of something, the shape is gone.
Old November 27th, 2007, 03:35 PM   #17
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

I just found a pretty kick ass fabric on ebay that I think I'm going to buy about 4 yards worth (should be more than enough for just two front panels..) and use it as the background..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:X:AAQ:US:1123

now I just need to find the foreground image. which I think what I'm going to have to do is get it silkscreened or something just due to the size, i want this thing big, like covering the bottom rear portion big, prolly about 18x15 or so...

something like one of the attached images, doesn't have to be any of these specific ones, but these are the poses/style i'm looking for..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg var10.jpg (22.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg var8.jpg (12.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: png 003NOSEART.png (73.7 KB, 172 views)

===========

Old November 27th, 2007, 03:52 PM   #18
livin_in_a_cell
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Those will look pretty good. And I've heard of the wood panel layering. It's possible. It's pretty much the same as a two tone but the thing is how 3-d do you want it? Because that is the hardest part behind it. and in order to do this you use foam but not the hard foam where you hit it once and it's ruined but use soft foam but just lots of it and it will stiffen up the shape but will not deform after a single hit.
livin_in_a_cell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 04:01 PM   #19
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

when I made the plain panels in my first bug, i used 1/8 inch particle board, 1/2 inch foam padding, and some vinyl with a nice dark red/black marble pattern on it. I was thinking if I did the 3-d thing, i'd use the 1/8 inch particle board for the background layer, use 1/8 in foam on it, then maybe some double corrugated cardboard with the pop out sections and wrap them in 1/8 inch foam padding with extra foam glued into place strategically to give it the 3-d effect..
but that all sounds like a ton of work and LOTS of room for error, so i think i may look into that quilting idea instead.. haha

===========

Old November 27th, 2007, 08:07 PM   #20
road_dog
Forum Member

What about this! Get yourself a female style manaquin. Grab your sawsall. Zip that bitch right down the center. Stick the Right side to your Left door and the other thus so. Now you can dress it any way you prefer, or not. Move the arm up and forward and you have a arm rest. See someone you don't like move the hand up, bend the fingers (do manaquin fingers move?) and hang them the shank. Just a thought!

The ramblings of an unstable mind.
road_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 10:29 PM   #21
ThrasherBill
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I think this is a totally cool and do-able idea done exactly like your original thought. You just have to really simplify the image and break it down into big shapes to keep the number of layers down around 4 or 5 max. Something like this.

Each colour would be a layer and looking at this particular image you could do the whole thing in only 2 stacked layers. I'll do a bit more photoshop work and post again so what I'm thinking will be clear.

a silent neighbor lady watching bremelo seeking canadian pinstriping lurker~

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkl Ian View Post
Don't worry about other people.Most of them don't care about you.
ThrasherBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 11:08 PM   #22
ThrasherBill
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Ok, let's see if can exlain this how I see it in my twisted little brain...

The first layer would be the darker skin tone and would be the entire shape.
The bathing suit, right arm, left hand and hair would make up the second layer.
I would cut the first layer out of 1/8" luann (doorskin - you can get it at the Home Depot, just don't let them oppress you ) and wrap it in vinyl only - no foam.
For the 4 second layer pieces I would cut them out of luann, glue on some 1/8" landau foam (the stuff they use under a car's vinyl roof - get that at your local auto upholstery shop, a yard should be enough for this project) and then vinyl in the colours of your choice.
Here's the part that I think could make or break this project.
When you wrap the second layer pieces leave any edges that match up to the edges of the first layer loose. As in don't fold them over just leave the extra material hanging off the side. Spots like around the outside edge of the hair and down the back side of the right arm and the front of the right fore arm and the entire right hand. Get it? Here's why - Once you have any non matching edges wrapped, attach the second layer pieces to the first layer using appropriately sized staples (or small wood screws or both) from the back side of layer one into layer 2. Still with me? Now wrap all those edges you didn't wrap before right back over layer 1. If you don't do this, you will see the layer 1 colour underneath the layer 2 colour all the way around the outside edges.
Watcha think?

a silent neighbor lady watching bremelo seeking canadian pinstriping lurker~

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkl Ian View Post
Don't worry about other people.Most of them don't care about you.
ThrasherBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 07:00 AM   #23
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

I think you're on to something Bill!
I just might have a project coming up now :P

===========

Old November 28th, 2007, 07:28 PM   #24
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

So I think I am indeed going to be using Bill's idea for the layering, it's actually exactly what I was thinking but I was overcomplicating it and imagining more detail using smaller pieces on the second layer..

Anyway, now i'm also looking into what to do to protect the background.. I'll be using a regular fabric and not vinyl so I'm thinking some kind of clear coat is in order, but I don't have any experience with anything like that.. Should I be looking for a fiberglass clear coat/sealer? or some kind of special fabric hardening stuff? or what?

Thanks for all the input! hopefully I'll have supplies bought by the end of this year and some progress pics by the end of january (taking leave at the beginning of jan. and will be doing this project in san diego, not san jose..

===========

Old November 28th, 2007, 07:34 PM   #25
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

i'm also open to suggestions about a door handle, i can't decide if i want ot keep the stock arm rests or try to fabricate something..

I'd like to make something but when i can't figure out what, do i want a simple pull loop? or do I want an armrest, and either way, how am i going to attach it? should i use the stock hook thing or make a new hole in the panel..

===========