Total Online: 530

Newest Member: 36wildroadster

Latest Threads
- by yimbo
- by JiI

Old October 10th, 2017, 09:59 AM   #1
JiI
Forum Member

Location: Mokena, IL Yep, that's me falling down a sand dune in Michigan...
Member Photo Albums
Default Santa Rosa fires

Kim, you doing okay out there? Saw SR is only 10 miles from you.
Jeff
JiI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2017, 10:32 AM   #2
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums
Default Re: Santa Rosa fires

I was thinking the exact same thing when I saw that on the news this morning, brought tears to my eyes when they showed a view from a helicopter or plane, an entire neighborhood gone

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2017, 11:30 AM   #3
dayzwalker
Forum Member

I came here looking to get a hold of Walt. He lives in the current danger area. Any of the old crew still have his contact info???

A Fetivus for the Rest-iv-us

dayzwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2017, 08:49 PM   #4
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

We're doing okay. Area is smokey as hell. We're hoping the fire doesn't turn this way and have bags ready to go. 77 cell towers had been down or damaged and we just got out cell reception and internet back about twenty minutes ago. We've been listening to a local station on a portable radio. All kinds of outside help has arrived, but the damage so far has been horrendous.
V8Transporter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2017, 09:10 PM   #5
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Hang in there buddy! If it swings, grab the important documents, all the animals and get the hell out of there!
Jeff

Last edited by JiI; October 11th, 2017 at 10:07 AM.
Old October 11th, 2017, 12:11 PM   #6
nshaddox
Forum Member

pouring out a glass of water right now for all the toasted homies.

seriously though hope everyone is safe and comes through it ok.
nshaddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2017, 05:18 PM   #7
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

So far we're doing okay. We have things packed and ready to go. Right now the winds are again making things worse. Fires are nowhere near containment. Thousands have been evacuated. I can't say enough good things about fire personal and law enforcement.
Old October 11th, 2017, 07:51 PM   #8
Steve
Administradora El Polacko

Member Photo Albums

I haven't been able to get a hold of Walt. I left a message on his cell, but both his house phone and the shop phone come back as "disconnected". That being said... I've always talked to him on his cell and haven't really had to call the land lines, so he may have disconnected them years ago. I don't know.

I matched up his address to the current evacuation area in Santa Rosa and he's right on the edge of it. I mean, the evacuation zone actually takes a turn and expands over his property, then goes back to a straight line.
This would only happen to Pops.

I will update if/when I get a hold of him or find out more.

~S
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 07:00 AM   #9
Unkl Ian
Trouble Maker and Bad Influence

How about his son, Manx ?

www.FlyingEyeballs.net

Unkl Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 09:04 AM   #10
penguin
Site Supporter

A lot of cell towers in the area have been damaged or destroyed
Old October 12th, 2017, 09:40 AM   #11
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

On Monday morning 77 towers were down ad forty some damaged. All we had was our land line and an antenna fed radio. Tuesday night we got cell reception and Internet back for the most part. Last I heard 40 towers had been repaired. The winds last night were pretty bad and I was up and down until dawn looking east toward Santa Rosa. We're still good, but the fire damage to Santa Rosa, and the other areas has been horrendous. There are still evacuation advisories going out.
Old October 12th, 2017, 07:17 PM   #12
Steve
Administradora El Polacko

Member Photo Albums

I spoke with Walt later last night. He and Don, and the rest of the family are safe. They stayed behind and been working their asses off to save their homes. I believe it was Don's house they saved using only the water from the hot tub and the swimming pool... with buckets. They are exhausted both physically and emotionally.

Walt's main shop however, did not make it. They were able to get the cars and some other important items out in time but could not save the shop. They pushed and pulled the cars out and moved them to a field that's mainly shale (rock) so that they'd be safe"r" from the spreading fire.

He's in good spirits. Much better than I would be, that's for sure. Keep him and the family in your thoughts and prayers fellas.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 08:00 PM   #13
SCOTTRODS
Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I spoke with Walt later last night. He and Don, and the rest of the family are safe. They stayed behind and been working their asses off to save their homes. I believe it was Don's house they saved using only the water from the hot tub and the swimming pool... with buckets. They are exhausted both physically and emotionally.

Walt's main shop however, did not make it. They were able to get the cars and some other important items out in time but could not save the shop. They pushed and pulled the cars out and moved them to a field that's mainly shale (rock) so that they'd be safe"r" from the spreading fire.

He's in good spirits. Much better than I would be, that's for sure. Keep him and the family in your thoughts and prayers fellas.
God Bless Them all. That's a horrible thing to have to endure. Glad they had as much success as they did moving the cars out. Prayers going out to all that have been affected by these wild fires. It sucks big time.
Old October 13th, 2017, 12:53 PM   #14
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Major batch of mojo headed to them and everyone else out there!

"I never trust a fighting man who doesn't smoke or drink or at least cause a little trouble." -Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr.
===========
Feel free to stare and admire,
but kindly tell me if it's on fire!

1972 VolksRod "Effigy" Build Thread
1986 Honda Shadow VT1100 Work Thread
tattooed_pariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2017, 08:29 PM   #15
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

The response the the massive fires here has been phenomenal. On a local note, The Backyard, a Forestville restaurant, has been cooking hot meals and making sandwiches for the 'first responders' and shelters. Today, I took a turn as a driver and ran a hot meal for 30 to a Cal Fire group at the Santa Rosa fairgrounds. The place is filled with Cal Fire trucks, National Guard troops, hundreds of tents and trucks and crews from all over the state and nearby states.
With the help of local volunteers, Backyard is also currently making and delivering about 1000 sandwiches a day. Volunteer drivers load up their trucks and vans to deliver the meals.
Food donations are incredible. For example, today Sherrie began helping co-ordinate donations. Tyson chicken in Arkansas is sending a pallet of chicken which will be delivered to the Redwood Food Bank. The outpouring of good will and the desire to help is breathtaking.
Because of the size and scope of backyard's meal making operation, tomorrow we're moving a large part to the local Methodist church located a half-block away. Daniel and Maryanne, the owners of The Backyard, and their crew are just doing an fantastic job. The support from the community and folks all around the state is just incredible. Everyone wants to help. This is the greatest disaster to ever hit our state. The fires are still raging, but everyone is working together toward a common goal. It's a great feeling to see folks come together like this.
Old October 13th, 2017, 08:49 PM   #16
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

That's awesome Kim! Do they know what started the fires?
Jeff
Old October 13th, 2017, 09:34 PM   #17
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

So far 'they' think that the freakish nearly seventy mph winds may have dropped trees across the some power lines. Out here trees are everywhere. To prevent something like this from happening, you'd have to cut everything back about a hundred feet to each side of a power line.
Old October 14th, 2017, 09:27 AM   #18
SCOTTRODS
Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Transporter View Post
To prevent something like this from happening, you'd have to cut everything back about a hundred feet to each side of a power line.
That's how they do it in Texas... Big swath of openness to keep trees from falling on power grid lines, and often the lines are elevated above the tree tops as well... but still, keeping the trees cut back and away from lines is a huge undertaking in parts of Texas. Especially in the Eastern Quadrant. Down in the hill country it's an issue as well, but the trees don't grow as tall there as much.
Old October 18th, 2017, 08:05 AM   #19
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Last week while watching TV they were talking about ways to keep fire from spreading, they said to thin trees so there's 100 feet between them all is the best thing to do
I guess if we ever get those kinds of Devil winds around here we're screwed because in a lot of the old neighborhoods the streets are all lined with trees and power lines, the newer neighborhoods all have underground power lines, they also don't have a single tree with in a few hundred feet of anything
Then there's my next door neighbor, they have a tree in the front that is growing about 6 feet away from the house, it's over their house as well, I hafta trim it back along the property line to keep it from growing over my carport and driiveway, the power lines to their house are the original ones put up around 1954 that you can see where the insulation is falling off the wires, it's the only house on the street they haven't updated, yet they still go right thru the tree tangled up in the branches, I asked the guy from the power company about 8 years ago what he thought about it, he agreed it was dangerous, did what he had to do on the utility pole out front, then left, when I trim the branches back on that tree every other year I wear thick rubber gloves similar to the ones I see the companies wear when they trim the trees on the main street that my street runs off of, the power lines passing thru the trees, it worries me doing it, but it has to be done, it worries me more when I see their children climbing in that tree, I've brought it to their attention that they could get electrocuted but they don't seem to mind, crazy

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2017, 01:36 PM   #20
hotrodheb

My son goes to Sonoma State and the school was closed for about a week, so he came back home so Momma would know he was safe. As Steve said, Walt and Don did lose the shop but saved the house and barn. Unfortunately one vehicle they weren't able to save was one of Walt's '32 Chevrolet cars he was working on.

"READ more... post LESS." - Steve

"Girls who weld kick ass!" - Notched

"Grumpy, the new master of Anti-Donk." - TurboPunk

hotrodheb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2017, 02:01 PM   #21
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

Had lunch today with my buddy Ron, who owns an auto restoration business. He is a Seventh Day Adventist. Redwood Academy, the Adventist school which is about twenty minutes from me, burned to the ground. There was a large garage there where he and other volunteers, including me at times, had a car building class for the high school kids. The area is still pretty much closed off but he was able to get in for quick look. The garage burned and the roof fell in. But we plan on salvaging part of the projects going on there and then continue the class at some point.
Old October 24th, 2017, 03:55 PM   #22
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

This wildfire stuff sucks. I hope it wasn't started by someone.
Jeff