Newest Member: Tylerted

Latest Threads
- by 1slo3
- by 1slo3
- by Bugula

Old December 15th, 2019, 04:12 PM   #1
carwhisperer
Forum Member

Default Where to get Fiberglass rear fenders?

I've found a few manufacturers/sellers of fiberglass rear fenders. I found Fiberglass Specialties, Mark V fiberglass, Glass Action (Love the name) and Chirco.

My ideal fender would be 4" wider than stock and have provisions for 73+ tailights. Yes I know most people hate those taillights, but I always liked them the best.

I have found 3" fenders which fit these lights and 4 1/2" fenders that are smooth with no light provision.

Does anyone know of any other manufacturers or if I have found all the possibilities for the manufacturers I've found?
carwhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2019, 04:51 AM   #2
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums
Default Re: Where to get Fiberglass rear fenders?

So I think I'm running the Glass Action 3" wider ones on my car.

My knowledge is 10+ years old, but back then, glass action was a company that had about 4 or 5 different names because what they were doing was producing products that were marginally "ok" and once they got enough BBB complaints, they'd close up, and re-open with a new name.

I can say that I've been running my fenders since 2007, and they've stressed cracked a bit, almost all the bolt holes needed finessing, some needed to be relocated, and most have broken over the years.

Do they fenders work? yes. would I want them on a show car? hell no.

"I never trust a fighting man who doesn't smoke or drink or at least cause a little trouble." -Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr.
===========
Feel free to stare and admire,
but kindly tell me if it's on fire!

1972 VolksRod "Effigy" Build Thread
1986 Honda Shadow VT1100 Work Thread
tattooed_pariah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2019, 02:10 PM   #3
carwhisperer
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattooed_pariah View Post
So I think I'm running the Glass Action 3" wider ones on my car.

My knowledge is 10+ years old, but back then, glass action was a company that had about 4 or 5 different names because what they were doing was producing products that were marginally "ok" and once they got enough BBB complaints, they'd close up, and re-open with a new name.

I can say that I've been running my fenders since 2007, and they've stressed cracked a bit, almost all the bolt holes needed finessing, some needed to be relocated, and most have broken over the years.

Do they fenders work? yes. would I want them on a show car? hell no.
That less than ringing endorsement is a bit disheartening. I don't want cracking fenders on my car. Are they fairly heavy as compared to the stock fenders also? I'm kind of assuming that all of these 3" and 4 1/2" fenders are from the same set of molds, because all of the vendors/manufacturers advertise these same two options (among others).

Do you mind posting a picture of your fenders along with any problem issues that are easily photographed?

I'm considering using my fenders and making some 3.5" u shaped extensions to space my fenders away from the body. I'd probably use 1" x 1/8" steel and then fill in the space with some mesh with little holes or expanded metal. It will probably look about 1/2 as good as I'm envisioning it, give or take.
carwhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2019, 04:22 PM   #4
V8Transporter
Forum Member

Back in the ‘70s I widened the steel fender on my Corvair powered ‘71 big. For where they bolt to the body, I used the inner portion of a really beat up fender. I bolted the ‘bad fender in place, drew a line about two inches out from the body, then cut away the outer portion. That done, I cut inward up close to the node every two inches or so. Then I carefully hammered each section upward until they were more or less straight out from the body. Next I held the full stock fender in place and ‘adjusted’ things until the attached part met the stock fender evenly. As I wanted a wider fender width, I cut a strip of 1-1/2” strip of sheet metal and tacked it into place at the ‘spacers out edge. From there I tacked on the outer stock fender. I left the part of the stock fender that used to bolt to the body in place until I was through welding so things wouldn’t warp. Once all the welding was complete. I removed the fender and cut away the inner lip. At the front I was running a pair of BR 70 13” tires with a disc brake Ghia front end and Porsche steering box. Out back were HR 70 15” on 8” Corvette rally wheels with the ‘66 Corvair irs rear.
V8Transporter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2019, 04:58 PM   #5
V8Transporter
Forum Member

Just reread the above. Sometimes the ‘auto feature suck. I widened all four genders. I cut from the new outer edge up clove the the body, not the ‘node.’ I don’t consider myself a ‘body fabricator’ but I too a couple of weekends and that came out pretty well.
Old December 19th, 2019, 04:15 AM   #6
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwhisperer View Post
That less than ringing endorsement is a bit disheartening. I don't want cracking fenders on my car. Are they fairly heavy as compared to the stock fenders also? I'm kind of assuming that all of these 3" and 4 1/2" fenders are from the same set of molds, because all of the vendors/manufacturers advertise these same two options (among others).

Do you mind posting a picture of your fenders along with any problem issues that are easily photographed?

I'm considering using my fenders and making some 3.5" u shaped extensions to space my fenders away from the body. I'd probably use 1" x 1/8" steel and then fill in the space with some mesh with little holes or expanded metal. It will probably look about 1/2 as good as I'm envisioning it, give or take.
I mean, they work, but if you are trying to win prizes for "best in show" with mirrors under your car and all that, this may not be the option..

I don't think I currently have any pics under the fenders to show the problems. but here is how they look:

ignore the shoddy paint, they arrived white and that's a few coats of rattle can in various shades of black over the last 12 years.. lol

The visible fender portion itself isn't bad, but the lip where the bolt holes are is not as thick as I'd hope, not all the holes were in the correct spots, and some of the holes are so close to the edge, it wasn't long before the broke and now has a hole with one open side.. if you use fender washers (as you should) you can put enough clamping force to hold em mostly in place, but like I said, it ain't perfect..

"I never trust a fighting man who doesn't smoke or drink or at least cause a little trouble." -Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr.
===========
Feel free to stare and admire,
but kindly tell me if it's on fire!

1972 VolksRod "Effigy" Build Thread
1986 Honda Shadow VT1100 Work Thread
tattooed_pariah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2019, 07:37 AM   #7
V8Transporter
Forum Member

Looks slick. If we waited until our projects were ‘mirror perfect, we’d never drive ‘em.

Damn, looks like the ‘auto correct feature is just messing with me.