Latest Threads
- by 1slo3
- by 1slo3

Old March 25th, 2020, 04:54 AM   #1
alykat
Site Supporter

Default How is everyone doing ?
Re:: Staying safe ?   

Don't see a lot of y'all on here much lately, but still wonder how you are doing considering the current health situation. What are you doing to stay safe ? I would prefer to just stay at home all the time, but life being what it is, I do have to go out and about 7 days a week for a few hours. I am generally able to stay clear of folks, but not always. This is a bit concerning as Agent Orange has left me with about 60% lung capacity and lowered immune resistance. So, I'm thinking if I stop bathing, eat nothing but garlic and sardines, take up smoking and drinking some kind of cheap booze I should be able to create a safe zone of several yards for myself ? Seriously though, everyone do what you can to take care of your self and be safe out there. Hey, and check in here more often !
Old March 25th, 2020, 08:35 AM   #2
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums
Default Re: How is everyone doing ?

This hasn't changed anything for me, I'm always at home, I have a suppressed immune system so I hafta stay away from large crowds
I look forward to going to the store, it's my weekly social event

I hope to get my garage cleaned up, it's tough to get anything done with my dog, I have a rope hanging from a tree branch in front of my garage, when he gets quiet I hafta go get it down, if I don't stand there and cheer him on he barks at me till I walk towards the tree

Well I should be outside doing something now, stay safe everyone

Ron

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2020, 09:48 AM   #3
hotrodheb
Forum Member

Been a while since I have been on here. I have been working from home for the last week and a half. Luckily I had already been working from home on Fridays, so I had my home office already set up for this. Our dog is loving having us home and is going to go into withdrawls when we go back to work! I recently move to an acre property in Gilroy but unfortunately my tools are all packed into a storage container and I haven't been able to get a shop built yet.

"READ more... post LESS." - Steve

"Girls who weld kick ass!" - Notched

"Grumpy, the new master of Anti-Donk." - TurboPunk

hotrodheb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2020, 09:49 AM   #4
Bugula
Forum Member

We are doing good. Wife’s working from home and we actually do the food truck thing on the weekends until they tell us we can’t.
I’ve been complaining that I have no time to build the turbo for my bug. Well, I have to now. Hopefully I can get it done.
Bugula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2020, 07:02 AM   #5
speedfreak
Forum Member

Been quite awhile for me also. Fortunately I am able to still work. Building a shop with a gun room for an older gentleman. My wife is working from home. I have been busy working and haven't had the time to even start on my next project, ('55 Chev PU). Well, stay safe you all!
speedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2020, 01:15 PM   #6
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

I haven't been on much.. at my last command, I had literally nothing to do at work, so i surfed the net all day.. right now I'm in school. so Monday through Friday I learn about AC and Refrigeration, then weekends are full of "we-just-moved-into-a-new-house-so-we-gotta-do-projects" stuff..

not a lot new here though, just trying to enjoy the warmer weather :P

"I never trust a fighting man who doesn't smoke or drink or at least cause a little trouble." -Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr.
===========
Feel free to stare and admire,
but kindly tell me if it's on fire!

1972 VolksRod "Effigy" Build Thread
1986 Honda Shadow VT1100 Work Thread
tattooed_pariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2020, 03:54 PM   #7
SCOTTRODS
Site Supporter

Not being a huge contributor anyway, but I am considered essential as far as things go, as I work at DFW airport, "Airport operations" is what our jobs are considered. So I will work until I cannot I suppose. Life goes on as normal.

I hope and pray everyone gets through this without incident, as in the US they waited too late to come up with a lot of things and are JUST NOW getting to a point they can START to count the actual cases and infected.

Unless you have been completely outside the "normal world" for a couple or three weeks, then I suspect we've all been exposed to the virus.

This forum is still a great place for me to watch the imaginations of others and see the progress others make. I'm good. But I am starting to believe the people who are considered "essential" should be paid Hazardous duty pay for now.
Old March 27th, 2020, 06:49 AM   #8
purplemyth
moody witch

Member Photo Albums

I stop by everyday.

I'm not working even though I could be. But with boss's kids home, it saves her $ , they can do the work instead. Hubby and I are doing fine. Kinda sucks as we had made plans for my next 4 paychecks, garden equipment, no biggie though.

Hubby is still working, rv biz is considered essential since so many people actually live in them permanently. 3 people have been laid off though. Hubby was last hired but he can do and has been, the jobs of 3. Parts & service writer, maintenance, and working on the units. Rvs are kept locked unless they need to be shown, and cleaning is done right after they walk out, no one complains, people are good to keep hands off, walk in, look, walk out, no touchy.

We've been doing alot of work on our property. I'm doing more gardening, garden was ok last year. Relax time is photography, astro and yard wildlife, woodworking again, feeding and watching ALOT of birds! and we're gonna learn some home baking. I live in utube instead of tv. Dug out my mom's baking pans the other day and he bought bread flour last trip to local grocery. Shopping has been light, mainly because we have 5 deer in the freezer if things went on total lock down. Just been keeping the basics and a variety of meats stocked. I was kinda freaked out the first week of our county state of emer, stress over this and my mom and all that goes with funerals~ plus we lost our fat furball cat Munchkin 3/21, she was close to 18yo.

My mom passed away on the 4th during a hosp stay, complications of many things, stemming from diabetes. Had she not let them do a biopsy of her lung spot, she might still be here. So I'm thankful she's not having to endure everything she was going thru any more, that was only getting worse, then this virus came, and her assisted living center went on complete lock down 1 week later. I would have been in bad shape had she gone in to hosp and passed and I nor rest of family could not have been with her. I'm still coming to terms of having Saturdays back to myself after almost 5 yrs taking her to dialysis every weekend. :( We didn't get along too well, but she was my mom. I was the second, yet last person to start clearing her room. So when lock down is lifted, that still needs to be finished but by my Brothers.

Hubby has been working on trike, again. Carb system tanked, again. His courier and the 62f100 are down. The buick, mom's transport is his driver now. The big Horse runs fine, was my daily for 3 weeks since our driveway turned into a 200ft long mud pit. put new tires on last Fall and good thing, mud got deep, and I'm finally comfortable using 4wd, lol!. Dragon is my runner, if I need to. I haven't left this yard but once since the 11th, on the 18th. Hubby does pick up on the way home if we need anything. So I'm doing my part to stay home. It's actually kinda normal for me, but I do miss my boss lady. Lots to do here. Trying to go more self sufficient, at least in the garden dept. Discussing livestock options though. All in all, we're ok.

Stay safe, stay ------ distant, stay well y'all~
My attraction to volksrods is that these are bottom-feeders where things are still real ... people scraping together parts, doing their own work and often on a tight budget. Real hot rodding is still alive here.
purplemyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2020, 08:01 AM   #9
V8Transporter
Forum Member

‘Doing okay out here. Yard work and plus the usual VW truck and motorcycle tinkering is keeping me busy. For the last 18 months Sherrie has been working a part time job as a fill in CFO for a local non-profit and now working from home. Last week I cut down a maple tree near the house which posed a fire hazard. Had to take the next day off after taking it down as I was pretty sore. This getting older is um, getting sort of, old. But now the wood is stacked, the rest of the debris gone.
Then there’s, the Wankel Suzuki. Picked up one rainy Friday afternoon while looking for Single Cab parts twenty-three, yes 23, years ago, it’s long been a running joke between Sherrie and I, and now a lot of friends. At the local hardware store I’ve been greeted with, “how’s the Wankel doing?” So, yesterday I got out a the manual to refresh my memory, fought the temptation to park it out front with a ‘FOR FREE’ sign, and spent a couple of hours figuring out how to static time the single rotor engine’s dual point setup. Right now there’s no spark. Sigh. So tune in’ to my next message in a day or so, hopefully titled, “THE WANKEL LIVES!!”
Stay safe out there!
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2020, 03:15 AM   #10
Timbo
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

We are good. Wife is home since schools are closed and will be until May. I'm still working and keeping people's vehicles going. Been doing the bodywork on Janis (wife's 64 vert) and hope to have it going this year. Mine (Bettie) is still going and have put over 50,000 miles on her now. Everyone be careful and healthy.
Tim

Forget the plastic, Drive a classic.
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2020, 02:41 PM   #11
1slo3
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I'm one of the high risk folks, so things are interesting. As of last Friday afternoon, I'm trying to teach online after 3 days of using new tech. I can barely use my phone after it updates, so the challenge is high! My kids are walking the dog, taking online classes and trying to help with cooking. My wife is awesome, but going a touch stir crazy.
1slo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2020, 08:48 AM   #12
V8Transporter
Forum Member

Good news is that the weather here is pretty nice. Sun pops through the clouds then some afternoons blue skies and sunny. Temps by day are 50s to high 60s. Great for garden work and outside tinkering. The brackets which I welded in to hold the Safari window props are now rust free, primed and painted to match the single cab’s ‘patina blue’ look. The air vent fans at the ‘above the windshield air intake’ are cleaned up and working once again. I’m now ready for those hot summer months.
Got spark on the Suzuki’s Wankel engine. Engine fires, but today the oddball side draft two barrel is coming back off and apart.
Referring to an article on adjusting bus steering boxes by Steve Phillips in December ‘19 issue of Hot VWs I plan to check mine over the again check the alignment. Question: when setting the ‘toe’ I’ve just used a straight edge at the outside of each front tire. Anyone out there have suggestions on how to do this?
Meanwhile we’re both healthy. Staying home except twice a month the the local grocery store and afternoon walks with our little dog , Helix. Stay safe.
Old April 14th, 2020, 06:28 AM   #13
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I've been busy too, I welded up most of the holes in the fender area, I hope to find all the Cadillac parts so I can get it out of the garage, I have nothing but time

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2020, 08:24 AM   #14
kustomkreep86
Forum Member

So far so good! Luckily still working. Our Staff is down to 5 and we have no contact with our customers. But orders are starting to dry up so getting prepared for some time off. Got some stuff to do the body work on Frankie and start making her look purdy.
Old April 14th, 2020, 07:10 PM   #15
J_J_
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTRODS View Post
I'm good. But I am starting to believe the people who are considered "essential" should be paid Hazardous duty pay for now.
Liking the Hazard pay idea! but we wont get it..
Hey all, damn I Havent been on in sometime..nice to see a few familiar names.. Now living in Sacramento Daughters still working, though she was just told she has to let go of half her staff, Wifes still working but she's manager of the juvenile courts so.. I'm busy as hell testing cylinders, I've re qualified a little over 600 oxygen cylinders just this month so far and got hit with another 76 200's and 81 medical E's. Last couple of batches were more than 5 years out of date on average. Everyone's pulling all their stuff from storage to meet the demands. So busy scanning everyone elses stuff I cant keep up with our own..
The unofficial story we got was yes eventually everyone will catch covid but the lock down/ stay at home orders will keep from overwhelming the hospitals, none are equipped to handle everyone getting sick at the same time . Hope your all surviving!
Old April 15th, 2020, 02:25 AM   #16
lunatic_magnet
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

doing okay. essential enough to still be working but not essential enough to avoid a furlough for the week next week. makse sense right?

actually popped by because i'm planning to do a leatherman style chop on a 57 shell i picked up, and was looking through build threads before i start cutting...
volksrods member #39
forget wd-40 and duct tape... i have a sawzall and a welder.
lunatic_magnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2020, 12:24 AM   #17
ditchdoc
Forum Member

Glad to hear all are doing fairly well. I have been trying to visit every other day or so. I am currently working in Iraq as a paramedic and thankfully we have very few cases in the country and only a few that are even showing symptoms locally. My wife and 2 kids are at home on lock down. they are hating life and to top it all off my daughters birthday was yesterday and was unable to do anything. The wife did get the kids teachers to do a drive by Happy Birthday visit which was AWESOME !!!
ditchdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2020, 11:51 AM   #18
marnat3
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I hate being essential!!
Old April 16th, 2020, 11:59 AM   #19
alykat
Site Supporter

It's like I told a couple of other friends. Being an anti social son of a bitch is actually paying off. Not all that much has changed for me.
Old April 16th, 2020, 04:48 PM   #20
V8Transporter
Forum Member

Better essential than ‘assential.’🤔😷
Old April 16th, 2020, 06:08 PM   #21
marnat3
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

"Better essential than ‘assential.’🤔😷"

True.

"Being an anti social son of a bitch is actually paying off. Not all that much has changed for me."

I was at a stop light the other day and a guy rolled up next to me wearing a t-shirt with "Anti-Social Social Club" on the back.
Gotta get me one of those.

Be well and stay safe everyone.