Newest Member: Tylerted

Latest Threads
- by DrHax
- by Bugula

Old August 28th, 2014, 05:36 AM   #26
BEERcobra
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums
Default Re: Do you guys start with drivers or basket cases?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron burgandy View Post
I bought mine as a shell, then the chassis. It's been a great learning experience, but I have had to buy every single little piece that would be on a complete car. A complete car makes it way easier to remove and replace things rather then go, where the hell does this go.

love your floor!!

BEERcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2014, 06:34 AM   #27
Stray Catalyst
Forum Member

I'm about to pick up a half finished project myself. A mechanic installed a flat window Super body onto a Subaru drive train - AWD, front engine, etc. He's already done a lot of the difficult stuff, such as hanging the pedals, setting up the controls, brakes, suspension, etc but the radiator isn't installed... and there's no way to put it in front of the engine due to the fact that it's too far forward!

Lousy interior, rusty floors, needs the radiator to be installed somewhere (in the back, where there was once an engine, maybe?), needs fenders and bumpers... but it cries out to be ratrodded!

Last edited by Stray Catalyst; August 28th, 2014 at 08:32 AM.
Stray Catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2014, 08:28 AM   #28
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEERcobra View Post
love your floor!!

I was thinking the exact same thing

Ron

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2014, 09:10 AM   #29
V8Transporter
Forum Member

I wish I had a garage to put a floor in. But it's a ten by twelve shop for the bikes and a carport and gravel for the rest....sigh. Hmm, maybe black and white gravel spread in a lovely checkerboard pattern.

How about a top or rear mounted radiator for the Subi engine? I was passed by Baja a few months back sporting a roof rack with a flat mounted radiator underneath. It had an odd to me looking engine hanging out the back, maybe an inline 4.
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2014, 04:37 PM   #30
Ron burgandy
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I'm glad so many people like my garage floor. It took a month to do about 7 years ago. Now I hate that floor, it's a nightmare when you drop something small. You pray it landed on a white square if not then it hours of playing where did it go once the car is done I will proably repaint it.
Old August 29th, 2014, 03:09 AM   #31
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

My oldest grand daughter, she'll be 10 in November, when she was 4 she'd always ask me what she could do when out in my garage, I'd tell he to grab the broom & sweep all the dirt up
One afternoon I didn't hear a sound from her, I'd say her name so I knew where she was, after an hour I went to the see what she was doing (dirt floor garage, hell when you drop anything, specially when you want it clean) she swept all the loose dirt into piles, spread some out & was playing with Hot Wheels
Not near the room, but the youngest uses a paint brush to make roads to play wit the Hot Wheels cars on

Ron

RSS
Old August 29th, 2014, 03:55 AM   #32
mikec4193
Forum Member

Quote:
I'm glad so many people like my garage floor. It took a month to do about 7 years ago. Now I hate that floor, it's a nightmare when you drop something small. You pray it landed on a white square if not then it hours of playing where did it go once the car is done I will proably repaint it.
Can I assume Ron you come from a racing back ground?
Old August 29th, 2014, 08:13 AM   #33
Stray Catalyst
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Transporter View Post
How about a top or rear mounted radiator for the Subi engine? I was passed by Baja a few months back sporting a roof rack with a flat mounted radiator underneath. It had an odd to me looking engine hanging out the back, maybe an inline 4.
I might go for that, but it looks like there's just enough space in the "engine" compartment (in front) to mount a radiator sideways. I'll have to rig up fans and ductwork to keep enough airflow through it, but it'll keep it looking externally mostly stock. I've seen some older pics of bajas with a shark-fin looking scoop, to get less dusty air, but again I'm hoping to keep it Bug shaped. But it's absolutely going to get ratrodded...

Stray Catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2014, 01:04 PM   #34
V8Transporter
Forum Member

I run a pair of radiators to cool the Single Cab's V8. There's a GMC truck radiator mounted sideways and in board of the driver's side. I have a scoop there, but got too much turbulence from the front wheel opening for adequate cooling when pulling a load, hence radiator #2 in front of the engine (behind the seat)where the spare tire used to be mounted. Up front you should have plenty of unobstructed air flow for a side mount setup.
Old August 29th, 2014, 02:08 PM   #35
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

After all this radiator & cooling issues, I got to thinking about how I'm gonna do the radiator in my V8 Bug
I have a radiator mounted just inside the rear deck lid at about the same angle as the deck lid, was gonna put 2 electric fans, one pushing air & one pulling air, it's the set up off the Sedan Deville parts car I had, I have some 2" diameter tube to go from front to rear, thinking I may need an electric water pump as well
I have plenty of room to mount a 2nd radiator in front of the 1st one, could even lean it if needed

It will be a few years, but I hope to have it worked out by then

BTW, basically this was a basket case when I started putting the V8 in it back in 07, altho it started as a daily driver my wife bought me for my 28th birthday, 20 years ago this past January
On January 30th 1995 I was forced to use a utility pole to stop it in a freak snow storm, 1st a brake line broke (suicide cylinders are scary when a line fails), then, when I pulled up the E brake, the cables broke, dadgum broken brakes, it was either broadside a new Cadillac, which happened to have a Corvette parked on the other side of it
I chose to hit the pole, totaled the Bug's front right side, let it sit until 07 when my wife & I decided we needed another Friday night race car, she named the car & I wanna get back to work on it by Spring

Ron

RSS
Old August 29th, 2014, 05:06 PM   #36
Ron burgandy
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec4193 View Post
Can I assume Ron you come from a racing back ground?
Just a little
Old August 29th, 2014, 05:34 PM   #37
V8Transporter
Forum Member

Uh oh.
Old August 30th, 2014, 05:37 AM   #38
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Just a little
Quote:
Uh oh.
You see a long winded post, don't ya

Not really, always been a fan of driving fast, dad took me & my brother to the race track every once in a while on Saturday or Sunday, I went on the weekends once I got my drivers license
One Friday night, the 1st Friday I ever went to the track, I met a guy I worked with there, he was about 10 years older than me, he told me on Test & Tune night, Fridays, anybody can race, $3 to get in & watch, $8 to race all night, they didn't require much back then, battery hold down & radiator over flow container, oh yeah, if you had hub caps they had to come off
I raced every Friday night after that, my now wife also drove the car down the track every few times, I'll just say, she has always run every car we raced faster than me, even after deducting the reaction times, she'd always beat me by at least a half second, sometimes by much more

We had to stop racing in 1987, our oldest son was born that March, so we just hoped once he got old enough we could get back to racing, just for the fun of it, I only raced on the street a dozen or so times, the night I had to run from the police was the last street race I ever did, then more life happened

Hope I can get my Bug running soon, it's gonna be a drive to & from the track kinda car, I'm hoping to have it look as close to a stock Bug as possible, except for the wide rear tires & the potato cannons where the pea shooters are supposed to be, & the sound

Ron

RSS
Old August 30th, 2014, 09:56 AM   #39
Ron burgandy
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I would race anything I could get my hands on when I was younger. We lived in North Carolina for awhile where I built race engines. We got out of the race life because of our son also.
Old August 30th, 2014, 12:41 PM   #40
V8Transporter
Forum Member

I raced my Nailhead powered Ford couple a few times at Fremont Drag strip. On Wednesday nights for five bucks you could run all night. By this time I had discovered that a '47 Ford gear box or even Lincoln Zypher three speed would not hold up behind the 322 ci Buick. I'd also adapted a Hurst 3 speed Mystery floor shifter, which didn't help. I replaced the 5th blown Ford/Lincoln tranny with a '56 Chevy three speed, which led to the discovery that early Ford rear ends were also rather delicate...sigh. With the addition of a '56 Chevy rear end sprung with '53 leaf springs, my drive train problems ended.
Old August 30th, 2014, 01:01 PM   #41
JiI
Forum Member

Location: Mokena, IL Yep, that's me falling down a sand dune in Michigan...
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEERcobra View Post
I started with a REALLY rusted non running 67 bug. because of the rust i learned alot so im happy i did it this way but if you want it on the road fast id go with a driver. The reason i didnt was i got my rusty bug for 300 bucks. around me any running non rusted bug that still needs work is 3000.

Paul doesn't realize that the bug he got was mint condition in Illinois!
Jeff
JiI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2014, 01:26 PM   #42
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I was confused for a moment as to which Ron you were referring to, but then again, I'm always looking for a reason to say something

Ron

RSS
Old August 30th, 2014, 01:42 PM   #43
V8Transporter
Forum Member

"Paul doesn't realize that the bug he got was mint condition in Illinois!
Jeff"

I which case I have a 5 gallon bucket full of nearly pristine original 1958 Single Cab rocker, cargo floor, and jacking point steel for whoever needs it. Shipping should be stupid cheap as the weight for everything is only a pound or so!
Old August 31st, 2014, 08:11 PM   #44
DrHax
Forum Member

Quote:
"Paul doesn't realize that the bug he got was mint condition in Illinois!
Jeff"

I which case I have a 5 gallon bucket full of nearly pristine original 1958 Single Cab rocker, cargo floor, and jacking point steel for whoever needs it. Shipping should be stupid cheap as the weight for everything is only a pound or so!
Sell that on the samba they LOVE og bus parts... or mail it to the twin cities vw bug club

Dude...you are sooo fucked!
DrHax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2014, 03:23 AM   #45
lunatic_magnet
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec4193 View Post
HI Everybody

I am trying to figure what is the best way to attack this Volksrod hobby. I have found the local Craigslist as a wonderful wish book and the SAMBA a lot more money for VW parts than the Craigslist is...I have built some oval track stuff and some Willys Jeep stuff too...so I can hack at stuff and re-weld them too...just wondering how many of you guys buy drivers and tear into them or maybe purchase boxes of parts and then work that angle...

I would love to create a retro (1970's vintage) "mini-stock" style volksrod, front nerf bars, side rub rails, maybe some numbers on the doors...oval track type stuff..

Not sure if I could hack into a survivor or just start gathering parts...what do you guys suggest??

I would also love to do "patina" type bug....leave it as it is but do safety upgrades and drive it....

Any insight would be great...

MikeC

i hate to tell you, but there was a vw bug mini stock for sale here in the CT area not that long ago... i think they wanted a grand for it. it was a super, but had a cage, nerfs, and i believe it ran. i sincerely thought about it but have so many projects and really wasn't sure what i could do with it... whoever was selling it was claiming it could still run on the New England Mini Stock Tour...
volksrods member #39
forget wd-40 and duct tape... i have a sawzall and a welder.
lunatic_magnet is offline   Reply With Quote