Total Online: 531

Newest Member: Tylerted

Latest Threads
- by Bugula
- by Ozrod

Old March 12th, 2006, 03:51 PM   #1251
jroymcd
Forum Member

cut out the battery tray and got the replacement ready to weld in.
jroymcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2006, 05:58 PM   #1252
BIG BAD BUG
Forum Member

FONZY that's the Von Hitler Custom.. I had a sit in it, there's Just enough room to get your elbow out the window opening on the door top..!!!
He's been working on if off and on for a couple of years and shifted house on the weekend..
The VW project has taken a back seat to the imperial but with the new workshop that both cars went into on Saturday, progress should start again soon.. The chop is totally MAD and the car would most likely never get registered, although he does still intend to drive it occasionally.. (the bottom edge of the rear veiw mirror is level with the top of the dash!!!)
There were a few pics of the car floating around here, perhaps someone can post them for you, I didn't get much on the weekend...
~We'll get you kicked outta your house.
BIG BAD BUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2006, 06:21 PM   #1253
walt
Forum Member

Well it's not yesterday yet but.............. I picked up a 35 Ford pickup project today. That's all I need is another project right???? Now I need to find a 35 Ford passenger car front end for it. That is one project that's been on my list of things to do for a while. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Dancing.gif[/img] Some day...... a new shop truck. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Dancing.gif[/img]

I'm bilingual.......I talk to men and women

My Volks-Rod
Rat Patrol Web Page
Rat Patrol photos
Rat Patrol Car Build Thread
Rat Patrol Timeline
Rat Patrol Videos
(RIGHT click and choose SAVE TARGET AS and download to your PC)
Movie1
Movie2
walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2006, 12:34 AM   #1254
chopmyride
Forum Member

Just gave my beetle a 5" chop just for fun , I will post a photo in about a week or so . Looks koool .
No body told me that the wire harness went thru the roof . So I wont tell you what else got a 5 "
chop
Old March 13th, 2006, 05:30 AM   #1255
purplemyth
moody witch

Member Photo Albums

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>No body told me that the wire harness went thru the roof .[/b][/quote]

probably just the interior light and a rear defrost if there is one, all engine wires should be along the floor.

As for what I did yesterday. This past week, worked in barn, made more dust. Friday great weather, started working in yard, spring cleanup. Sat, same, but 84*, tank top, sun burn. Sun~ Hubby started gutting the garage. the panel out back is the vw engine bin now. And still more stuff to move and no place to put it,

got sunburnt more, thermometer in the barn said 90* at 230, same in the garage. no spring [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dry.gif[/img]
My attraction to volksrods is that these are bottom-feeders where things are still real ... people scraping together parts, doing their own work and often on a tight budget. Real hot rodding is still alive here.
purplemyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2006, 06:07 AM   #1256
PureC4
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Lets see we mounted a front panard bar. Shortened right side drag link, aligned the front end the best I could, think it will steer ok now. Have to push it outside today to see. Going to paint and final body work next wednesday [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Dancing.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Dancing.gif[/img] can't wait. get her aback and start wiring.

We lust for what we want, and weep for what we need!
PureC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2006, 06:11 AM   #1257
Cat Box
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

a while ago i was voted to be the activities director for our club. yesterday was the first activity. in the morning my wife asked "how many do you think will show up?" i replied "three. me, the car owner. marc, the car mover. donald, the host garage." sure enough i was right, but no matter we got a ton of things done to the bug. we all learned how to compress strut springs the wrong way and the right way. so we lowered the car about 4" in the front. we put the disk brakes on the front, only to find out the master cylinder dosent work the front brakes. but that didn't really matter as we had to remove the calpers to get the wheels to go on and roll. we also installed new polyurethane bushings in the front-end and a 7/8" sway bar to boot.

this tuesday is the next club meeting and i will be up on a soapbox about how Freakin' lazy the club is. and i hope the next activity will have a better turn out. the next activity will be my car again to swap the m/c, install the rear disc brakes, and lower the rear of the car 1 spline to give it the proper rake.

http://www.Rosecityvolksters.com
Cat Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2006, 06:18 AM   #1258
oldskool
Forum Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mziemba @ Mar 12 2006, 10:00 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'> however did meet a fellow v-rodder of the site so its all good!!!
[/b][/quote]

Yep, good to meet another local.

I got those wheels sitting on the back and I got the front end installed. Ran out of welding wire while making the 2nd headlight bracket. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/yelling.gif[/img]

the good part is, I took Monday off so I can go get more wire and pick up some parts.
Old March 13th, 2006, 07:15 PM   #1259
Scott H
Forum Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>No body told me that the wire harness went thru the roof .[/b][/quote]probably just the interior light and a rear defrost if there is one, all engine wires should be along the floor.
[/b][/quote]
Early Beetles had the wiring harness through the roof, up the A pillar.
Somewhere around '65/'66 is when they started running it along the floor.
member #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-nor View Post
sliding volksrod discount, depending on how much i like you.
Scott H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2006, 10:29 AM   #1260
cybernotchback
Forum Member

Sodered the connections to the DS power windows in the Cabriolet. The PO thought that just lightly twisting #10 (or so) wire together and adding electrical tape would be good enough [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/mad.gif[/img] The power window motor didn't think so, and just quit working about a week or so ago. Still can't figure why they cut them in the first place, (there was a plug just 6" or so past where the cut was) [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dry.gif[/img]

While I was at it I also hooked up the cut wires to the door speaker. Nice to have a working window and tunes again. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]
cybernotchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2006, 11:40 PM   #1261
blacktruck
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I made a full on clusterfuck out of my just cleaned garage.Scored a 66 trans that had a major oil
leakage thing out of the p-side axle seal,looks like brand new drums and shoes.shoes are so soaked its not funny,went to Tassi's and am getting a new input shaft seal wed or thurs.Finally jacked up the back and
put a little extension on the brake line bracket(steel lineto braided steel lineto cylinder)
Old March 15th, 2006, 12:02 AM   #1262
KK916
Forum Member

I dont have a car so I cant post what I did to it but I can post what I did in school and maybe my mommy will put it on my E-Fridge....... I'm exhausted, ignore my shitty jokes. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rollingeyes.gif[/img]

I'm making a flamed out teapot for my model making class. I start with foam then make a mold from that, then pull the mold and fit the two pieces together and get them looking like something resembleing a teapot. Right now I'm at the foam stage, I'll post more pics as I go along if anyone is intrested in how I do it or anything....

Old March 20th, 2006, 07:20 PM   #1263
Cat Box
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

on saturday max and i started building him a pedal car that i bought at target a couple of years ago. im teaching him to spin his own wrenches and find the right numbers on the tools. he is agreat helper and a master mechanic. i got it finished on sunday during nap time. when he got up and came out into the garage he was very happy to see his very own truck. we took it outside and snapped this shot.

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/driving.gif[/img]

how do you say "rock on!"

i couldnt be happier

http://www.Rosecityvolksters.com
Cat Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 03:24 PM   #1264
vwfanatic
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

chuck came over and while my truck was in the shop getting a grand worth of work...OUCH...., we went gangbusters on the baja. pedal cluster is in, clutch cable hooked up, rear brake lines completed, rear brakes done (drums still need turned or replaced, and the star adjusters were siezed, which made for some interresting excitment), front brakes mostly done except had the wrong brake shoes and so popped the drums back on till the right parts could be scored. all in all, the car is much closer to the road than the day before yesterday. thanx chuck
vwfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 08:01 PM   #1265
Hotrodpez
Forum Member

Location: Mission Viejo, Orange County, Kalifornia, USA, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Not VW related, But worked on this bad boy. Its a 23 foot mobile television broadcast truck for my high school. This is a pic of the control room, behind me are the audio room and the engineering room.

Originally Posted by bugdust
If you can't measure your own floor then this project may be too much for you...just my opinion.
People who say im hard to shop for must not know where to buy beer...

Common parking lot conversation...

Its a volksrod...
Yes, it runs...
Yeah I drive it...
No, I'm not crazy.

Here's to living single, seeing double, and sleeping triple!

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/lukepezanoski
Hotrodpez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 10:01 PM   #1266
blacktruck
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

is it tomorow yet?ah fuck it I'm pissed.Broke my new breaker bar(gland nut,still not budging)cleaned some of the crap off some of my tins,o-ring for the dist,started putting my doghouse cooler on.Decided I want to do the flywheel seal before putting all the crap back on the top,starting to consider just leaving the questionable seal and put it back together

its times like this when I wish I could go in the back yard and shoot at something [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/mad.gif[/img]
Old March 23rd, 2006, 10:34 PM   #1267
vwcalbug
Forum Member

blacktruck, i tried all the tricks to get a glandnut off, including bending a new breaker bar....took the engine down to machinist, he just blasted it off with a impact wrench, in 3 seconds -JustinD

Its Cut, Weld, Drive!!!

Current Project: 2017cc w/ aj simms 40x35 heads, web 218, cb super race crank 78mm, cb supercase, 46mm aj simms kadrons, 1.25 rockers, aircooled SLR'd lifters.

Have it built out to the pistons and cylinders, ready for heads
vwcalbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 10:49 PM   #1268
blacktruck
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I was just reading back posts and saw yours,what'd you use to torque it back on?
Old March 24th, 2006, 07:09 AM   #1269
vwcalbug
Forum Member

i haven't yet, but im going to buy one of those tools that spins on the flywheel, and attaches to the gland nut. It uses mechanical advantage to get it up to 250 or whatever....

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifie....php?id=194557

seems pricey, but if you know your going to be doing engines, its best to just buy the tools you need to do it right

i just read the ad, and it said you can use it to remove the gland nut as well, so it would prob be your best bet - JustinD

Its Cut, Weld, Drive!!!

Current Project: 2017cc w/ aj simms 40x35 heads, web 218, cb super race crank 78mm, cb supercase, 46mm aj simms kadrons, 1.25 rockers, aircooled SLR'd lifters.

Have it built out to the pistons and cylinders, ready for heads
vwcalbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2006, 09:25 PM   #1270
Hotrodpez
Forum Member

Location: Mission Viejo, Orange County, Kalifornia, USA, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

my cheapo 1/2 inch impact wrench has over 400 on reverse... sumthin like 100 / 200 / 300 forward

havent met a nut it couldnt turn... even one that was welded on [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img] that weld was no match for Big Bertha...

but when i worked at this place over the summer that did maintainance on full size tv broadcast rigs (the giant ESPN trucks) we used impact wrenches that had a 1" drive and these two huge handles on the back to take off lug nuts bigger than a gland nut and axle nuts about the size of a VW fan pulley... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink.gif[/img]
If you can't measure your own floor then this project may be too much for you...just my opinion.

Its a volksrod...
Yes, it runs...
Yeah I drive it...
No, I'm not crazy.

Old March 24th, 2006, 10:02 PM   #1271
blacktruck
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

hillbilly style
Old March 24th, 2006, 11:36 PM   #1272
BiggJ22
Forum Member

Not just yesterday but all last week worked a deal with a Kool Kat from Burabank to get a complete engine with 500 miles for $550 to put in the bus. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Dancing.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Dancing.gif[/img]

67 Bug
74 Bug
'70 Baywindow - Sophie (sold )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
Don't underestimate the power of my nuts.
My nuts laugh at your feeble attempts of protection.
BiggJ22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 07:38 AM   #1273
Hotrodpez
Forum Member

Removed the heads of the 1600 thats gunna power the Milspec rod for now, everything checked out fine, installed the rockers and pushrods and tubes. gotta get the cylinder tin and the exhaust installed and then the rest of the top stuff. gunna run just a stock carb for now but probably dual kadrons after i hit the next swapmeet.

Its a volksrod...
Yes, it runs...
Yeah I drive it...
No, I'm not crazy.

Old March 25th, 2006, 11:48 AM   #1274
cdubvdub
Forum Member

ive been home off work with a sore swollen face becuse i got my widoms out [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/mad.gif[/img]
Old March 25th, 2006, 06:04 PM   #1275
Ian
Forum Member

Well, not yesterday but today. Well, yesterday I bought a battery, big whoop.

Today I got my $600 rustfree '66 running. Drove it around the block twice.

Needs an oil change badly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Punk View Post
it went to a Samba Monkey.
It's all fun and games until the strippers call the cops.

Volksrods.com - Re-engineering the VW Bug one at a time
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
what did you do, yesterday