Newest Member: Tylerted

Latest Threads
- by alykat
- by alykat

Old January 15th, 2019, 07:57 AM   #1
Amber 74
Forum Member

Default ignition upgrade

Wanting to upgrade my stock distributor to electronic. Super is mostly stock street driven daily driver 1600 dual port. Which is the better kit to use for this conversion ?
Amber 74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2019, 04:13 PM   #2
Bugula
Forum Member

Default Re: ignition upgrade

I'm thinking an electronic SVDA with vacuum advance.
Bugula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2019, 04:36 AM   #3
SCOTTRODS
Site Supporter

Pertronix works great.
Old January 17th, 2019, 07:01 AM   #4
alykat
Site Supporter

I have friends who use Pertronix and they work great when working. However, they have learned to keep a replacement stock set up in the car to get them home when it stops working.
Old January 17th, 2019, 11:56 AM   #5
amrcnbadaz
Forum Member

I have been running the Pertronix as well with no issues.

I am also doing some researching right now. I am going to upgrade the entire ignition system here soon. Pondering going with an MSD pro-billet. Or maybe go distributor-less.
QUOTE(Steve @ Apr 1 2006, 06:05 PM)

That bike makes my scrotum cry...
Quote:
QUOTE Steve Jan 26, 2008

If one of my buddies pulled into my driveway and got out of that, I'd punch him right in the colon.

That thing looks like a blue clitoris.
amrcnbadaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2019, 05:24 PM   #6
SCOTTRODS
Site Supporter

I always wanted to go with a Toyota Celica Ignition and distributor system, as described by Bob Hoover. He modified one to fit his vehicle and claimed it "Bullet proof", Which is easy to believe, given Toyota's track record on so many of their vehicles.
Old January 18th, 2019, 12:26 PM   #7
Amber 74
Forum Member

Been looking at and talking to CIP1 about SVDA electronic dist. part # PER-D186504 Super has a PICT 34 carb and Bosh Blue coil . Anyone have this set up ?
Amber 74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2019, 03:21 PM   #8
Bugula
Forum Member

The only issue I've had with any electronic point replacement units is connecting the wires backwards. Kills the instantly. I also never try to start the battery charger on "jump start".
There's lots on the samba about the SVDA.
Bugula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2019, 09:53 AM   #9
alykat
Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTRODS View Post
I always wanted to go with a Toyota Celica Ignition and distributor system, as described by Bob Hoover. He modified one to fit his vehicle and claimed it "Bullet proof", Which is easy to believe, given Toyota's track record on so many of their vehicles.
This sounds interesting. Any idea where I should go to research it ?
Old January 21st, 2019, 04:33 AM   #10
SCOTTRODS
Site Supporter

It's on the web somewhere... I would likely take my questions to the STF guys who were bigger worshippers of the Hoover God... (I loved him for the tech, too, but still was more entertained than in awe, as his writings were really fun and always designed to not only give you excellent info, but make you think as well).

You can start with a Google search for "Hoover Sermons" and see where that gets you. If that doesn't;t work out, I know someone who printed ALL (supposedly) of the available sermons years ago and may have that article as well.
Old January 21st, 2019, 04:43 AM   #11
SCOTTRODS
Site Supporter

I'll almost guarantee it's in this mess...

http://bobhooversblog.blogspot.com

but can't remember if it is, as I got it from Newsgroups years ago... R.A.M.V.A. was the happening place before STF and the Samba, but lived alongside the two for quite some time. He was all over all of them back in the day. 25+ years ago. Try the Blog pages - Search "TULZ" series postings for the stuff you want.
Old January 21st, 2019, 03:40 PM   #12
alykat
Site Supporter

Thanks. Some thing to do in the down times.
Old January 22nd, 2019, 04:11 AM   #13
SCOTTRODS
Site Supporter

Lotta good reading about a lotta cool things, from Guns to Airplanes to VW's and engineering at home... Hoover was a really Sharp dude. Fun to read.
Old January 23rd, 2019, 11:37 AM   #14
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
I'll almost guarantee it's in this mess...

http://bobhooversblog.blogspot.com

but can't remember if it is, as I got it from Newsgroups years ago... R.A.M.V.A. was the happening place before STF and the Samba, but lived alongside the two for quite some time. He was all over all of them back in the day. 25+ years ago. Try the Blog pages - Search "TULZ" series postings for the stuff you want.
jeebus... I haven't seen a reference to RAMVA in god only knows how long... those were the days.... lol

"I never trust a fighting man who doesn't smoke or drink or at least cause a little trouble." -Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr.
===========
Feel free to stare and admire,
but kindly tell me if it's on fire!

1972 VolksRod "Effigy" Build Thread
1986 Honda Shadow VT1100 Work Thread
tattooed_pariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2019, 05:25 PM   #15
SCOTTRODS
Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattooed_pariah View Post
jeebus... I haven't seen a reference to RAMVA in god only knows how long... those were the days.... lol
Do I know you from there? I was Just "Scott" mostly... somehow I've forgotten, but might have been Scott Terrell... The days were good and the guys were awesome too. Used to live for Jan's input and antics... until he got with the crazy chick and moved to Florida from Sweden or wherever he was from... I'd remember some folks from there if there was more record. I miss news groups in general... they were a great info gathering toolbar sure. Much easier for me to navigate at least.
Old January 26th, 2019, 05:38 AM   #16
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Do I know you from there? I was Just "Scott" mostly... somehow I've forgotten, but might have been Scott Terrell... The days were good and the guys were awesome too. Used to live for Jan's input and antics... until he got with the crazy chick and moved to Florida from Sweden or wherever he was from... I'd remember some folks from there if there was more record. I miss news groups in general... they were a great info gathering toolbar sure. Much easier for me to navigate at least.
I wasn't much of a regular there, I think I only went on a couple dozen times. I was like 16 with my first 73 super..

"I never trust a fighting man who doesn't smoke or drink or at least cause a little trouble." -Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr.
===========
Feel free to stare and admire,
but kindly tell me if it's on fire!

1972 VolksRod "Effigy" Build Thread
1986 Honda Shadow VT1100 Work Thread
tattooed_pariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2019, 10:57 AM   #17
SCOTTRODS
Site Supporter

I was a regular there until around 2004, when I moved to a home where the Internet service didn't;t have a News Server, so I tried it through the web for a while and it was too tedious to follow, due to the way it all interfaced, and before long no one had News Servers any more... and I paid extra for it for a long tie as well, just to get the capability... I miss news groups in general... it was the first P2P music sharing available as well... I was always getting some really cool music on one of the music sharing groups...
Old January 28th, 2019, 01:32 PM   #18
horshak
Forum Member

About 18 years ago I installed a new 009 distributor with a Bosch blue coil in my 1600. Within 6 months of that I installed the Petronics ignition. I've never had a problem with it .The car is damn near a daily driver. First time I fired it up with the Petronics I noticed it started quicker and it idled faster. Since installing it I gapped my plugs at .032. I am very happy with it. I've never heard of one going bad and the owner of the shop that I hang out at sez every car he builds gets a Petronics in it. I have always carried a set of points and condensor in the car but have never used it. Keep in mind I carry a lot of spare parts in my bug it's a 56yr old car.

Last edited by horshak; January 28th, 2019 at 02:00 PM.
horshak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2019, 08:21 AM   #19
alykat
Site Supporter

You are a wise man horshak. Tool kit, fire extinguisher and spare parts should be in every air cooled VW as a standard thing.
Old February 1st, 2019, 08:41 AM   #20
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I've been running my Pertronix since the summer of 1986, it did sit in a box of parts for about 13 years until 2011, drove daily until this past October, I keep an extra distributor with points in the car

Having a newer car with heat has spoiled me

Ron

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2019, 06:24 PM   #21
horshak
Forum Member

Alykat agreed with the fire extinguisher idea. Went to pickup my car at the shop after having a new top end put on the engine. There in the driveway was this bug on a trailer that was burned from the running boards up. All that looked new was the chrome reverse wheels. I asked what’s up the shop owner said it was a newly rebuilt car. Paint interior newly built engine. The owner picked it up made about 24mi. When it backfired the flames went up thru the engine vents popped the rear window and burned up the intereior. 24 miles. Before I got home I stopped off and bought an extinguisher for my car.
horshak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2019, 05:41 AM   #22
alykat
Site Supporter

Good move horshak. I found the FireAde 16 oz units are very handy.Fit right in most glove boxes and are just as effective as the older style 2 1/2 lb units. I also usually have two on board. One for me and one in case I come up on a roadside emergency.
Old February 11th, 2019, 10:08 AM   #23
V8Transporter
Forum Member

Back in the '70's I saw the result of several VW 'car fires.' What I found was that owners or their 'mechanic' would saw the 'nub' off of the brass fitting on the carb so the factory line would slide over it 'easier.' They would still use the stock clip to hold the line in place. In some cars the fuel pressure would gradually cause the line to separate from the fitting, sending gas everywhere.
One of the first things we checked when a VW came in for a tuneup was the fitting.
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2019, 10:13 PM   #24
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I need to get 2 fire extinguishers, one for the garage and one for my Volksrod, last year at this time I was using my forge with waste oil, my extinguisher in the garage wasn't any good so I took the new one I had out of my Volksrod, I had a tiny oil dripping from the forge into a metal pan, I pulled the knife billet out to forge weld it, my anvil is about 8 feet from my forge, a piece of slag flew into the pan, I grabbed the "new" fire extinguisher pulled the pin and squeezed, it just kind a coughed a timy bit of powder out and that was it, luckily I emptied everything out of my bigger fire extinguisher out into a can and had it sitting right next to the new one, I shook it on the fire and put it out.
I haven't fired up the forge since, I need to get another small one for the car
I never had a fire in any of my VW's, but back in 83 I had a fire in my 1970 Galaxie 500, driving and the car stalled like it was out of gas, pulled over and tried to start it, the diaphragm accelerator pump on the carb was leaking, gas splashed down onto the exhaust pipe and up it went, I jumped out popped the hood and flames went 25 feet high, I was helpless, finally some guy stopped with a 6 pack of beer, it makes a great fire suppressant, shake em up and pop the top and point, his girlfriend was mad about her beer but it worked
Next day $0.45 for a new diaphram, some plug wire scavanged from the dumpster where I worked and I was on the road again
I have always kept a fire extinguisher in my cars since

Sorry if I repeated that story but my brain is damaged, I tend to repeat myself at times

Ron

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2019, 07:33 PM   #25
amrcnbadaz
Forum Member

Well, I can tell you NOT to go with the Kuhltek with electronic guts. I had seen mixed reviews on it. I got it anyway, and went with the proper spec coil it asked for. I figured it wasn't exactly top of the line, but wasn't cheapest either, so it should be respectable as long as everything else is good. And I was right The "skip" it had was gone and it was running the smoothest it has ever run …. for about 10 miles. Luckily, I had the old one in the trunk, so at least I made that decision correct. F'n junk man. I guess I just threw away $130 (at least it was on sale!) on a paperweight. On second thought, maybe I can convert it to points. I should have ordered the one with points to start with. I hate technocracy!!!
QUOTE(Steve @ Apr 1 2006, 06:05 PM)

That bike makes my scrotum cry...
Quote:
QUOTE Steve Jan 26, 2008

If one of my buddies pulled into my driveway and got out of that, I'd punch him right in the colon.

That thing looks like a blue clitoris.

Last edited by amrcnbadaz; March 28th, 2019 at 08:01 PM.
amrcnbadaz is offline   Reply With Quote