Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > The Tech Bin

The Tech Bin An ARCHIVE of helpful and informative tech posts...

User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 17,662
Threads: 32,333
Total Online: 558

Newest Member: msjohnston2000

Latest Threads
- by JiI
- by 1slo3
- by butch27

Closed Thread

Old January 10th, 2004, 06:48 PM   #51
lilbill
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bugnut@Jan 10 2004, 06:54 PM
I guess Bruce Myers and Barry were all wet. They only sold like hot cakes and didn't look a damn thing like a beatle. Good thing they didn't have to sell the thousands of bodies they built and the thousands of other copies in England. And just think they were built of that hated fiberglas. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dry.gif[/img]
did i miss something ? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/huh.gif[/img]
Old January 10th, 2004, 08:41 PM   #52
Dr.Freakinstien
Forum Member

Bling Bling looks good on paper but comes last in the shop.Make it right....then bling it.Words of wisdom you will appreciate later...trust.A V-rod is primarily volkswagen tech mixed and mingled with personality and taste of the owner or builder.If when you are through with your car you are happy and it is safe you done a fine job.If you didn't fix it before you can't.Many others on the highways and byways with all kinds of opinions and as the old proverb says "they are like ass-holes and some of them do stink"........Somebody needs to wash their opinion.You opinion-hole,kiss my opinion,she told me to stick it in her opinion,ahh stick it up your opinion.....oh sorry,I'm ramblin' again.I'm a ramblin' man and I've made a lotta stops all over the world.
Old January 10th, 2004, 09:40 PM   #53
Jon
Forum Member

Why are you guys treating "bling bling" like a real word ? Its just the phrase of the week by the lower class trash in the society. There is no attention span among them so this phrase will go away with in the year. Don't encourage it. By legitimizing that kinda shit only keeps them in the roles they are in becuase they think its the norm.

As far as the suspension and defining the Volks Rod thing. I think its just gotta have style and certain level of aggression to the look. I don't like the wishbone or leafspring suspensions on the fenderless rods that much. I think they look to wide especially on the So-Cal one.

The thing I don't like is when someone pays others to do the work and talk about it as if they built it. Instead of I had it built by .....
I figure do all that you can at least. If you can't do somethings then don't take credit for it. I hate reading that in articles about how the car was shipped back and forth from this shop to that one ..... sure they are nice cars but I am not impressed with owner at all. Anyone can pay to have something done but not everyone can do it themselves. Thats the one thing I think most of have it common. We just all have differnet influences styles ....... thats what its all about right ? if we were all the same in here then we really could be any different then all the other styles of VW people out there. It's late what the hell am I writing ... :sleeping:
Old January 11th, 2004, 05:49 AM   #54
works2hard4u
Forum Member

To Jon: You are correct, sir! I'm sick of the influence ghetto-talk and "style" have on decent morals and values these days. Why is it "cool" to be illiterate? And I for one don't want to see some jerk's underwear hanging out of the top of his pants with the crotch flapping around at the knees.

To Roadster Cliff: Your car is fantastic and it is of the build quality I would attempt. But you DO infer on your web site that it was much less than building a "traditional" street rod. So how much did it actually cost? I was going to build a Poliform Track-style "T" originally, with a budget of about $20,000, when I found your site. What do you project the real costs to be with a VW Highboy, especially taking into acount the rapid rise of the price of your kit? (I've watched posts on the price go from $995 to $1395 to $1995). Nevertheless, I still want a VW based rod with a coil-over tube axle front end. And if you get tired of people hating yours, you can ship it here to Florida where it will be appreciated for what it is!
Old January 11th, 2004, 08:10 AM   #55
Bobnotch
Forum Member

That's what I love about this site, everybody seems to be doing their own thing. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/stoned.gif[/img] I mean we have Cliff's Highboy, which is setting new bench marks for it's outstanding build quality [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img] . Walt's T which is one of those older Volksrods, that are no longer being produced. Tobias's truck and bug taking new directions for us all, Steve's panty buncher, shows what can be done with an old baja, and of course we have Nick with his runt rod, doing what seems to be impossible. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wacko.gif[/img] Then of course we have those of us who are a completely different type, building and modifying type3s. I think if its powered by a VW or using a VW body, its a Volksrod. It doesn't matter what it has for a body, as we have buses, bugs, ghias, type3s, and everything in between here. If you look thru the intros, you'll see most of us build, rather than buy stuff for our rides, and to me that is what is really important. Just a thought. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smilespin.gif[/img]

Now ducking for cover.
Old January 11th, 2004, 09:01 AM   #56
Dr.Freakinstien
Forum Member

yeah,true dat ,biatch,ya'mean?Bling bling from Diz-oc Friz-eakinstienizzle to du dizzle my pizzle.An' a shout out to my peeps keepin' it real,dawg.Yo' yo' wit du twenty fo' in du sho' ain't slo' much mo' fo' du go bro'.......I meant you are correct.May you have many appropriate items of good taste to your benifit.Hello, to my friends and if you prefer the rims of larger persuasion,they are avalible for your cruising pleasure....Or....We got sum shiney stuff we can spray on dim rims an' bumpers if'n you want.Howdy maw an' paw,.....uh I bleve dim is tratur tars on dat bolkswagun 'cause they gotta be 'least 24 einches 'round but,would look good on unkle Eugene's "john" boat tralur,wuttin' they?.....Life is about God,his son, family and having fun. I personally laugh at and with many cultures and all have pros and cons.My religon doesn't allow me to sleep with every fine woman out there nor does my personal covictions and comittments to my family but ,I ain't gonna catch no diseases and I got reservations to a really nice place after this thing called life is over.I have never treated any form of Ebonics as real or appropriate langage in an other context exept(an X twice in one sentence...kewl{I don't like it when people spell cool that way}) humorous and to lighten the mood of a situation as I an as white,southern,country,and educated (none of which make me better than anybody,just different than some)as most will ever get,and really don't give a rats arse what when and where it is appropriate.I enjoy every day as much as the next keeping in mind I owe it all to God ,my family good health and sevre mental issues that cause me to ramble on endlessly on occasions with little regard to spelling and or if you want to hear this or not,so with that said,I made some of my ride and paid to other stuff done to it I didn't trust my skills to do.I have improvised and created when and where I chose without consern to wjat other perseved as "right or wrong"(like cousins gettin' it on,I just don't care it doesn't pertain to me) although my wife is my 6th cousin....what?!?and besiders we are all kin anyway. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img] I ain't thru yet,set down and shut up,afo' du Doc biatch slapisses yo' ass.You only get one life live it to the fullest and don't get caught up in what the neighbors are doing,Love and respect Jesus,your family,yourself,giving each their due and by all means say 'sup dawg at least 3 times a week and get a real kick out of it every time,....why? 'cause it's funny.Breakin' the rules 'cause they don't apply to me....Mine truely ,Dr.Freakinstien.......In du house,...."County-siiide" USA,USA,USA,USA.Wow.......sorry ya'll ....did it again.Oh yeah,I got 96 tears and 96 eyes with a garbage brain that's driven me insane.'Cause I'm a human fly and I don't know why.
Old January 11th, 2004, 09:09 AM   #57
type3rod
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Roadster Cliff@Jan 10 2004, 05:14 PM
If somone,like Cliff, cant afford a high dollar rod then they make do with a vw powered custom

I hate to spring it on you but the Hiboy wasn't any cheaper than going with a '32 Ford Hiboy. I could have bought a crate 350/350 engine and trans for what the 2276 and transaxle cost. The upholstry was the same deal as was the body work, paint chrome, tires and wheels. I built this car to show that anything is possible to do, even building a hotrod out of the lowly VW bug. Even so, some people HATE the car and wonder why I wasted so much money and time on it. To each his own.

Roadster Cliff
Like i said I thought i saw you say it would have been cheaper...............Hi, I'm Cliff Lasater, one of the oldest guys on this forum (54) I'm not really a vw guy, this is only the third one I have ever owned. This car is NOT a rat rod. I'm building this car as an alternative to the typical street roadster. Not that I have anything against them, I would also love to have a $55,000 highboy, I just don't have the cash.
Old January 11th, 2004, 12:02 PM   #58
Dutch VeeRod
Forum Member

Funny how this threat is changed [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wacko.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/stoned.gif[/img]

"De Konjel" Beetle BAJA V6 4X4 Syncro project

http://www.facebook.com/index.php#!/...andenbosch.501
Old January 11th, 2004, 01:31 PM   #59
Dr.Freakinstien
Forum Member

I like volksrods of all kinds and the first one like Walt's is really cool.:D
Old January 11th, 2004, 07:24 PM   #60
walt
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dez@Jan 10 2004, 11:29 AM

why have a rad shell? it doesnt do anything!!!
That's funny my radiator shell holds 9 1/2 gallons of gas. So I guess you could say it has a purpose.

You know dez they do have forums especialy for purists like you. If you take your head out of your ass long enough you might find one and feel right at home.

I don't feel too good....... I'm going to go lay down now.

I'm bilingual.......I talk to men and women

My Volks-Rod
Rat Patrol Web Page
Rat Patrol photos
Rat Patrol Car Build Thread
Rat Patrol Timeline
Rat Patrol Videos
(RIGHT click and choose SAVE TARGET AS and download to your PC)
Movie1
Movie2
Old January 11th, 2004, 08:04 PM   #61
Bobnotch
Forum Member

Walt, the updated pics look better than when your car was in Hot VW's. :D I really like the blower sticking out of the bed cover. I bet that makes some sweet sounds when the top is down. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smokin.gif[/img]
Old January 11th, 2004, 09:18 PM   #62
Dr.Freakinstien
Forum Member

yeah,the flames are a welcomed touch.Look right on. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old January 11th, 2004, 10:07 PM   #63
Steve
Administradora El Polacko

Member Photo Albums

Walt, your car still gives me WOOD whenever I see it. Especially with the DLI
sticking up through the rear.

And if a big ole polished up, bored, BLOWN motor sitting BEHIND the seats doesn't
scream "VW"... I don't know what would.

So, some of these volksrods out here have some "FORD" script on em... So what?
If they're using Ford parts... well...
And if someone can't tell whether or not a certain car is based on a VW and/or
fooled into thinking one is an original Ford T-bucket... then I wouldn't consider
them much of a "rodder".

That's like saying I shouldn't put '57 Caddy hubcaps on my '54 Merc, because I'd
be trying to pretend my car is a Cadillac instead of a Mercury...

Someone teach me the RULES of hot rodding...
Old January 12th, 2004, 04:22 AM   #64
vwfanatic
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

remember ....everyone is entitled to their opinion, no matter how stupid it is :rolleyes:
Old January 12th, 2004, 05:23 AM   #65
crack monkey
Capt A's super package

hey walt you missed a spot [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img]
So don't tell me that I wouldn't drive to VT to pick up a rusted piece of shit.~scott76
Quote:
If a dictionary could take a shit...
it would look like that sentence.~steve
Random stuff I am looking for: Dont think there is anything at the moment
www.solar4soldiers.org (I am starting a non-profit to put solar panels on to disabled veterans homes. PM me for more details)
Old January 12th, 2004, 05:32 AM   #66
type3rod
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by walt+Jan 11 2004, 08:24 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(walt @ Jan 11 2004, 08:24 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-dez@Jan 10 2004, 11:29 AM

why have a rad shell? it doesnt do anything!!!
That's funny my radiator shell holds 9 1/2 gallons of gas. So I guess you could say it has a purpose.

You know dez they do have forums especialy for purists like you. If you take your head out of your ass long enough you might find one and feel right at home.

I don't feel too good....... I'm going to go lay down now. [/b][/quote]
Whats up with the production or amount of those buckets are left??? I want one of those retarded glass bodeis that is not considered a v-rod!!!!!!!!!!!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old January 12th, 2004, 06:22 AM   #67
gowjobs
Forum Member

Like I said, Kit Car Magazine used to list a VX-23 kit under Total Performances product line that was quite a bit like Walt's. Of course, there may be some unbuilt or restorable Brizio VolksRods that are around somewhere...

As for the tube/beam axle vs. torsion front axle, the main reason to convert the front suspension is looks - the VW beam, no matter how hardy the design, looks like crap compared to the simplicity of a dropped axle with some nicely-shaped radius rods. Of course, that's just my opinion.

That VW front beam dates back to pre-war designs as well... not much different from the suspension seen on the Auto Union cars of the '30s.

"When worse comes to worst...

..we're screwed"

Old January 12th, 2004, 06:26 AM   #68
walt
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobnotch@Jan 11 2004, 09:04 PM
. I bet that makes some sweet sounds when the top is down. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smokin.gif[/img]
I wish that I could give each one of you guys a ride..... With the top down the blower whine is toooo much. It's hard to take your foot out of it. You just want more. Kinda like sex huh? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img]

I'm bilingual.......I talk to men and women

My Volks-Rod
Rat Patrol Web Page
Rat Patrol photos
Rat Patrol Car Build Thread
Rat Patrol Timeline
Rat Patrol Videos
(RIGHT click and choose SAVE TARGET AS and download to your PC)
Movie1
Movie2
Old January 12th, 2004, 07:39 AM   #69
vwfanatic
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally posted by walt@Jan 12 2004, 10:26 AM
Kinda like sex huh? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img]
Better!!! :P
Old January 12th, 2004, 08:08 AM   #70
bugnut
Forum Member

Now I guess everyone knows where I was going with the comments on the Meyers Manx types. They didn't look a damn thing like a VW, But screamed VW anyway.Sorry for loosing you lilbil. P.S. I [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wub.gif[/img] straight axels and leaf springs. A Arizona Out Law wing sprint can pull 2 G's on the skid pad with one of those OLD FASHIONED BUGGY springs.

La Luz, New Mexico
Old January 12th, 2004, 10:04 AM   #71
gowjobs
Forum Member

The C4 'Vette was still utilizing those outdated buggy-springs...

..we're screwed"

Old January 12th, 2004, 10:35 AM   #72
dez
Forum Member

walt, i cant even be arsed to argue with u about why i dont like your car, but i dont think its really necessary to lower yourself to base insults if someone says something you dont like. if i did that id get the shit kicked out of me twice a day.
Old January 12th, 2004, 10:41 AM   #73
Roadster Cliff
Forum Member

This forum is begining to sound like HAMB.................too bad, it was really great

Cliff
Old January 12th, 2004, 10:44 AM   #74
gowjobs
Forum Member

One thread doth not a forum make, Cliff.

..we're screwed"

Old January 12th, 2004, 11:04 AM   #75
vwfanatic
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

walt - dont take it so hard.....he said himself that at least twice a day, he makes a complete ass out of himself, so consider the source. The rest of us love you [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wub.gif[/img]

cliff - i hope it takes more than this to make you turn and run [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/confused.gif[/img]
Closed Thread