Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > The Tech Bin

The Tech Bin An ARCHIVE of helpful and informative tech posts...

User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 17,620
Threads: 32,327
Total Online: 411

Newest Member: Beanbox

Latest Threads
- by Bugula

Closed Thread

Old January 13th, 2004, 08:01 AM   #101
vwfanatic
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

no problem dave - the guy at TP just figgerd I was a little off.....but lately, I'm guessing he was right......actually he was pretty nice about it.
Old January 13th, 2004, 08:36 AM   #102
type3rod
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by vwfanatic@Jan 13 2004, 04:44 AM
has anyone tried to get them to part with the plans..or rights or anything related to the kit.....
Not to change the subject ,but I herd that a guy that lives in the US bought all the stuff to make the mexican beetles and said he was going to make 2000 of them every ten years and have them be "collectible edition". Anyone hear of such a thing??????
Old January 13th, 2004, 08:45 AM   #103
gowjobs
Forum Member

He could only produce 49 of them a year and keep from having to certify them if he's selling them for use on the road. Once you hit 50 cars a year, you are officially an auto manufacturer, and must have DOT certify everything. I can't see him selling 2000 a yera to people for use only on private property.

Dave

"When worse comes to worst...

..we're screwed"

Old January 13th, 2004, 08:56 AM   #104
vwfanatic
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

but i could see 50 people a year buying them and changing the numbers to register them as whatever it takes to have a new beetle, just like they were doing before.
Old January 13th, 2004, 09:50 AM   #105
walt
Forum Member

Anybody out there got a 28 to 34 ford pick-up cab and bed? I would like to build one that's chopped channeled and sectioned about 2" off the ground with a mid engine 2 liter.
It would be fenderless and I'd paint it satin black with skinny wires on all four corners. It would be so low you would have to practically lay down in it to drive it. It would of course have a full hood and a chopped 32 style radiator shell.

Oh I forgot to add that the wheels would be brite green and the body would have brite green scallops.

I'm bilingual.......I talk to men and women

My Volks-Rod
Rat Patrol Web Page
Rat Patrol photos
Rat Patrol Car Build Thread
Rat Patrol Timeline
Rat Patrol Videos
(RIGHT click and choose SAVE TARGET AS and download to your PC)
Movie1
Movie2
Old January 13th, 2004, 11:21 AM   #106
type3rod
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by walt@Jan 13 2004, 10:50 AM
Anybody out there got a 28 to 34 ford pick-up cab and bed? I would like to build one that's chopped channeled and sectioned about 2" off the ground with a mid engine 2 liter.
It would be fenderless and I'd paint it satin black with skinny wires on all four corners. It would be so low you would have to practically lay down in it to drive it. It would of course have a full hood and a chopped 32 style radiator shell.

Oh I forgot to add that the wheels would be brite green and the body would have brite green scallops.
I would love to see that!!!!!!!!!!!! Any ps guys????
Old January 13th, 2004, 11:28 AM   #107
vwfanatic
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

sounds a lot like jimmy shine's truck with VW power.......dang I like it [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wub.gif[/img]
Old January 13th, 2004, 11:28 AM   #108
Unkl Ian
Trouble Maker and Bad Influence

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Anybody out there got a 28 to 34 ford pick-up cab and bed? [/b][/quote]

Try the HAMB Classifieds.

www.FlyingEyeballs.net

Old January 13th, 2004, 11:44 AM   #109
walt
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by vwfanatic@Jan 13 2004, 12:28 PM
sounds a lot like jimmy shine's truck with VW power.......dang I like it [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wub.gif[/img]
Now if you can imagine no engine up front so there's a lot of room for your feet so you can chop and section the heck out of it. Talk about a lowrider..... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]

My Volks-Rod
Rat Patrol Web Page
Rat Patrol photos
Rat Patrol Timeline
Rat Patrol Videos
Movie1
Movie2
Old January 13th, 2004, 11:49 AM   #110
vwfanatic
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

full reclining position.....kinda like sitting on a luge (sp) you know that olympic psyco mini bobsled thing
Old January 13th, 2004, 11:59 AM   #111
gowjobs
Forum Member

Hmmmm... I'm imagining a heavily sectioned/angle-chopped 'late thirties cab of indeterminate origin with some worn logos on the doors (even better if it looks like they said something different before the section... like a Mad Magazine fold-out)and a hand-formed aluminum bed wrapped around that Type4 motor. A nose made from two '40 Ford deluxe hoods with a straight axle protruding from the blisters on the sides would look really boss, and would give room to stash yer footies. Use 18" front spokes with 16's or 17's out back. Tall, skinny, blackwall bias-plies all around. Shifter should make you skin your knuckles on the inside of the roof.

Oh no! I'm forsaking the VW heritage! NOT!

C'mon... this thing is a hotrod first - it would just happen to be powered by a VW because it's a powerful, compact and low-profile powerplant that doesn't require anyone to think about how to plumb a radiator in...

PS: I've been considering building a truck a lot like this, but powered by a gas turbine from an aircraft Auxilliary Power Unit, and possibly driven through a hydraulic setup, if I can't step an auto tranny down far enough... would have to attach a reduction box before I could even think about using an automotive torque converter... Jetster would also dig this... I figured if I did the final rear drive with Gilmer belts, it could run... HUBLESS wheels! Yep... thinking about a Mad Max-style future rat rod here...

..we're screwed"

Old January 13th, 2004, 12:00 PM   #112
fastmc25
Forum Member

Hey guys,
I have been thinking of building one sort of "by scratch". Speedway motors sells "T" bucket frame kits . Frames can be cut off at the rear and a VW torsion assembly engineered in. Use the original body parts, front components and the Pickup bed or simular rear covering "slightly Modified" ( I use that loosely , LOL) to cover the engine. I really have thought about this alot. I grew up seeing the Vee-rods at shows in the "70's and am feeling old now as we talk about it. LOL

" Now .......... where did i put my prozac?"

Paul

1973 Adventurewagen (2.8l chevy power)
1970 Formula Vee Bug ( 2276cc)
1961 Deluxe Beetle
Old January 13th, 2004, 12:18 PM   #113
vwfanatic
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

total performance's t bucket frame kit is only something like $250, but handy rodders could build their own.
Old January 13th, 2004, 01:24 PM   #114
gowjobs
Forum Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Hey guys,
I have been thinking of building one sort of "by scratch". Speedway motors sells "T" bucket frame kits . Frames can be cut off at the rear and a VW torsion assembly engineered in. Use the original body parts, front components and the Pickup bed or simular rear covering "slightly Modified" ( I use that loosely , LOL) to cover the engine. I really have thought about this alot. I grew up seeing the Vee-rods at shows in the "70's and am feeling old now as we talk about it. LOL

" Now .......... where did i put my prozac?"
[/b][/quote]
You could go that route, and I've considered it for a fendered, higher-riding C-cab or something similar, but for a mean, low-down T, I think it's better to use radius rods and either coil-overs or the transverse spring like the rod that started this post (to really get massive clearance over the top of the tranny, use a Model A spring, which has even more arch than the Model T spring he was using) If you want it Rat-Rod slammed, flip the tranny upide-down (and flip the ring gear) so your swing axle trans has near-zero camber. Sandrails and Formula Vees have used this setup for ages, so it's gotta be do-able... just remember that the oil pan is hanging lower with it flipped, so skid plate it or be careful.

Seems to me that a standard "solid mount" girdle that wraps the bellhousing could be made to bolt up right behind the Z-ed section of the standard T-bucket chassis with some simple bracketry... then you'd need to fabricate a crossmember to mount the nosecone. The turtledeck trunk sections are usually quite a bit longer than the shortened pickup beds normally attached to T-buckets, and would cover a Type 3 or 4 with the fan down on the "front" of the engine.

Sandrail pedal assmblies would look trick and a hydraulic clutch would be easier to hook up... sandrail shifter mounts are also available in prefab form... just mount it to a simple crossmember made from 1x2.

If you want to skip running a hood, how about two polished moon tanks up front between the firewall and an empty radiator shell? If you want some weight up front to prevent wheelies, you could stash a small battery in/behind/under a filled grille shell - enough to fire the engine up... I doubt this thing will be running a huge sound system.

Okay... like I said, I've been thinking about doing one of these for YEARS!

..we're screwed"

Old January 13th, 2004, 01:30 PM   #115
Unkl Ian

Model A frame site

www.FlyingEyeballs.net

Old January 13th, 2004, 01:56 PM   #116
Unkl Ian

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>i don't know the exact name but it deals with overunity. years ago i was involved with a fabrication company that got a contract to build a spring driven overunity machine. one of the engineers tried to explain the theory to me but it sounded greek. i do remember though that it was all based on this
more energy out than in thing that is peculiar to some springs.
[/b][/quote]

I went and did a search for "overunity".
The majority had to do with electromagnetic fields,and potential energy.
The mathamatical "proof" only works if you assume NO parasitic losses,
like fricition,drag,electrical resistance,and inertia.

No mention was made of springs.

www.FlyingEyeballs.net

Old January 13th, 2004, 02:11 PM   #117
type3rod
Forum Member

With a little "modifications" this would look pretty sweet!link
Old January 13th, 2004, 03:07 PM   #118
vwfanatic
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

i know the guy that owns that.....nice guy.
Old January 13th, 2004, 07:53 PM   #119
crack monkey
Capt A's super package

a little like this walt.... i know it has fenders and no wires but you get the idea... just imaging your blower poking out the back [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]
So don't tell me that I wouldn't drive to VT to pick up a rusted piece of shit.~scott76
Quote:
If a dictionary could take a shit...
it would look like that sentence.~steve
Random stuff I am looking for: Dont think there is anything at the moment
www.solar4soldiers.org (I am starting a non-profit to put solar panels on to disabled veterans homes. PM me for more details)
Old January 14th, 2004, 06:31 AM   #120
walt
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crack monkey@Jan 13 2004, 08:53 PM
a little like this walt.... i know it has fenders and no wires but you get the idea... just imaging your blower poking out the back [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Way Cool [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]

My Volks-Rod
Rat Patrol Web Page
Rat Patrol photos
Rat Patrol Timeline
Rat Patrol Videos
Movie1
Movie2
Old January 14th, 2004, 06:52 AM   #121
type3rod
Forum Member

Somone here needs to buy this and make it a v-rod!!click
Old January 14th, 2004, 07:02 AM   #122
vwfanatic
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

i'd pass on that one....it looks like one of those shay style kits with all the fenders and aprons molded to the body. Too much of a pain to build a fenderless car and too hokey with the fenders....JMHO
Old January 14th, 2004, 07:44 AM   #123
gowjobs
Forum Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>
i'd pass on that one....it looks like one of those shay style kits with all the fenders and aprons molded to the body. Too much of a pain to build a fenderless car and too hokey with the fenders....JMHO
type3rod Posted on Jan 14 2004, 07:52 AM
[/b][/quote]

For that kind of money, how about building one of these?
PoBoy Roadster

..we're screwed"

Old January 14th, 2004, 07:52 AM   #124
vwfanatic
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

dave - still out of my price range, but definately a real bargain [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old January 14th, 2004, 07:53 AM   #125
type3rod
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gowjobs@Jan 14 2004, 08:44 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>
type3rod Posted on Jan 14 2004, 07:52 AM
For that kind of money, how about building one of these?
PoBoy Roadster
[/b][/quote]
How bout buying one of those bodies and throwing it on a modified bug pan???? I think it could work.