Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > The Tech Bin

The Tech Bin An ARCHIVE of helpful and informative tech posts...

User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 17,576
Threads: 32,321
Total Online: 608

Newest Member: Wozza

Latest Threads
- by bigguy

Closed Thread

Old May 14th, 2004, 03:25 PM   #1
Dave Cormack
Forum Member

Finally, a day where I was not covering an event, shooting a car, and didn't have a list of "Honey-Do's" a mile long. SO, I got the Eastwood powder coater out, bead-blasted the backing plates, got them and the new axle seals and the right bearing caps, e-brake cables, etc all installed, and had to try sticking the wheels and tires on the back. I posted 2 photos in the member Intro/Project update area, so you can see I got some work done today. Man, getting those tires mounted on those arly Ford wire wheels is like a Monkey (No, not you, Ryan) trying to f**k a football !
I posted a close-up, so you can see how close the SoCal Imports, Inc. custom-studded rear drums fit the early Ford wire wheels. CLOSE, but NO ADAPTERS in back !!!
Next stop, 5 inch dropped I-beam front end, SoCal Look crossmember, Volvo discs, body work, wiring, etc etc. :D [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smokin.gif[/img]

Old May 14th, 2004, 03:48 PM   #2
alltypesvw
Forum Member

looking soooo good!

haha

dave cormack said "f**k"

:D
Old May 14th, 2004, 04:01 PM   #3
Dave Cormack
Forum Member

Coulda been I was saying a Monkey tried to FORK a football, you know, stab it with a fork.... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img]
Old May 14th, 2004, 04:03 PM   #4
Sickboy
Forum Member

I am interested in seeing your front end done. I want to see how you get volvo disc brakes up front. What spindles are you going to use?
Old May 14th, 2004, 04:22 PM   #5
Dave Cormack
Forum Member

The Volvo disc brakes for the front are an old street rodder's trick. They use the same bearings and races and seals as a '37 Ford. The thing is, the '37 Ford spindle (which is what I am using) is longer than the Volvo spindle, so you, before you put the new bearing races in, you have to get, or machine, a spacer, to shove the inner bearing race out farther, so everything fits the Ford spindle. I am going to have to make my own caliper mounts, and I haven't gotten around to that yet...And know that the Volvo lug pattern is 5 on 4-1/2 or 4-3/4, I foget which right now, so, in order to run the early Ford wire wheels, you pretty much have to run adapters. I got the adapters from a guy at the Big 3 swap meet in San Diego a few months ago, and know that they work, as I have had the Frod wires on the Volvo rotors already, via those adapters. I have his business card at work, if anyone needs him, he says he makes adapters to pretty much make anything fit anything, and they are a quality piece, and they were 100 bucks for 2 of them, including all the needed lug nuts and bolts. Hope this helps...
Old May 14th, 2004, 04:48 PM   #6
vwfanatic
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

SPROING :o looks great dave.....
Old May 14th, 2004, 05:25 PM   #7
57Drag
Forum Member

Progress is progress....Nice work Dave [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img] And we can't cus anymore cause people get offended ;) .Tires and wheels look great [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wub.gif[/img] .....Donald
Old May 14th, 2004, 05:30 PM   #8
p-nor
Forum Member

that looks great dave. it's nice to see somebody's car progressing if i can't see my own. is it going to be in any kind of trailer-able shape for the classic?

paul

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

http://rocksteadyplumbing.com/
Old May 14th, 2004, 06:15 PM   #9
crack monkey
Capt A's super package

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Cormack@May 14 2004, 07:25 PM
Man, getting those tires mounted on those arly Ford wire wheels is like a Monkey (No, not you, Ryan) trying to f**k a football !
dave i resemble that remark! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img] at least i am not humping a tire..... SCOTT!!!!

oh and dave, i want your seats.
So don't tell me that I wouldn't drive to VT to pick up a rusted piece of shit.~scott76
Quote:
If a dictionary could take a shit...
it would look like that sentence.~steve
Random stuff I am looking for: Dont think there is anything at the moment
www.solar4soldiers.org (I am starting a non-profit to put solar panels on to disabled veterans homes. PM me for more details)
Old May 14th, 2004, 07:04 PM   #10
Nick
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dave)</div><div class='quotemain'>like a monkey trying to fuck...[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-Crack

oh and dave, i want your seats. [/quote]

GET A ROOM GUYS!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/eek1.gif[/img]

Old May 14th, 2004, 07:09 PM   #11
Dave Cormack
Forum Member

I'll put you on the list for the seats if they ever some up for sale, but there are some heavy hitters in line in front of you. You must know what they are....
To those that don't, they are Speedwell "Restall" reclining seats.
I haven't figured out exactly what I am going to use in the rod, I have those (that I refuse to cut up to make fit, due to the rarity and value of them) some Austin-Healey seats, and some stockers, so far, to play with. Hell, NONE of those seats may end up in the car; I haven't gotten that far along yet.
Old May 14th, 2004, 08:40 PM   #12
crack monkey
Capt A's super package

yeah i know what they are. love those fucking things. goes with my theme too. oh but i am sure the heavy hitters will beat me to them IF they were to ever come up for sale
So don't tell me that I wouldn't drive to VT to pick up a rusted piece of shit.~scott76
Quote:
www.solar4soldiers.org (I am starting a non-profit to put solar panels on to disabled veterans homes. PM me for more details)
Old May 15th, 2004, 05:33 AM   #13
lilbill
Forum Member

i'd say go with the healey seats [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old May 15th, 2004, 09:01 AM   #14
dayzwalker
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Cormack@May 14 2004, 04:25 PM

Next stop, 5 inch dropped I-beam front end, SoCal Look crossmember, Volvo discs, body work, wiring, etc etc. :D [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smokin.gif[/img]
WOW! Dave that thing is going to be dropped to the ground. Is 5" too much when you use Marty's crosmmember? What is Marty using on his, a 3" or 5" drop? I'd think that the 3" would be enough, but I guess if you want it running in the weeds 5" is the only way to go.

The rear brakes look like a snug fit allright! I desided I am going to order my blank drums from so cal and have them stud them for 5x5 1/2 for my wires like you did. Thanks for the help with that by the way! Its going to be much more reasonable than getting some adapters made!

I see that your wires in the rear are 16x5 correct? I have a set that are 16's but they are only 4" wide, is this possible. Did they make both a 4" and 5" wide wheel? When I got them I thought they'd be a 5" cause now I have to run a 650-16 tire in the rear and that not nearly wide or tall enough for the overall look I'm trying to achieve. Now I have the dileema of trying to find some 17x3 for the fronts cause I can't run the same 16x4 in the front. I can't find a tire small enough to fit on them safely The best I found was a 500/525-16 by bf goodrich.
http://www.coker.com/store/customer/produc...&cat=289&page=2
I'm not even sure if I can run a tire with a tread width of 4" on a 4" wide rim...can I? It just seems like too much of a perfect fit...on the small side. Anyway...project is looking great man...your making me jealous day after day!

A Fetivus for the Rest-iv-us

Old May 15th, 2004, 04:42 PM   #15
Steve
Administradora El Polacko

Member Photo Albums

Right on Dave!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]

It's lookin' great... now we need MORE pics! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smokin.gif[/img]

What year/model Volvo brake parts are you using?

Keep the updates comin'!
Old May 15th, 2004, 04:48 PM   #16
vwfanatic
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

hey dave, may as well add me to the waiting list for those seats.....bet david mayes has offered you his wife and kids!!!! :o
Old May 16th, 2004, 08:44 AM   #17
Dave Cormack
Forum Member

Oh, man, where to start-

Yes, Dan David is the guy wanting the seats, and I believe he will be purchasing them "for an undisclosed amount" at the VW Classic in a few weeks. (More "rod building money").
A 5 inch drop is quite severe, but, if needed I can always put spacers between the top of the spring pack and the spring perch, if I need to raise it up, but it's hard to make them lower when everything is set at "max low"
I don't think 500 or 550 -16 tires on a 16x4 " rim shouldn't be any problem, and for early Ford, I found here in San Diego when I was looking for them, 17sx3's all over the place, it was the 16x5's that were a bit hard to find.
The disc barke rotors and calipers are from a Volvo 122, that's the rotor that uses the same bearings as a '37 Ford, with the little spacer to make the inner bearing stick out further, to go on the Ford spindle. I have to make my own caliper mounts.
And I learned a little tidbit yesterday... you know when they say "Use anti-seize on stainless threads"? THEY MEAN IT. A nylock nut was threaded TWICE on a stainless thread, and came right off, but, of cour, on the 3rd time, the threads galled, and I ruined the stainless part getting the nut of grrrr. shoulda listened to my own advice from when I stuck the fender bolts from Totally Stainless on my Oval.... USE ANTI-SIEZE... grrr. I hate wasting brand new, shiny, parts...grrrr.
Old May 16th, 2004, 07:55 PM   #18
crack monkey
Capt A's super package

hey dave before those seats go buy bye (and if you have time) could you snap a few pics of them and get as many measurments as you can on it. i want to build something similar to them for my car at some point. mine wont recline but they would look the part. so anything would help (width of stiching, seat heights and widths... anything) but if you cant or dont have time its no worries.
Quote:
Old May 18th, 2004, 06:33 AM   #19
Dave Cormack
Forum Member

I'll do what I can for you, Ryan. I know there was a photo of those particular seats in a recent issue of Ultra VW, my friend Dave Conklin writes for them from time to time, and wanted to show some alternatives to the normal, run of the mill, stock/Recaro/Sparco/etc seats that were "Old School Cal-Look", like the old EMPI 'glass buckets and such.
Anyway, when I can, I'll get some digital photos and measurements, and get them off to you.