Latest Threads
- by Bugula

Old March 9th, 2009, 11:47 AM   #51
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Forum Member

Default Re: Harbor Freight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott76 View Post
Has anyone every try this tire changer? I'm so tired of needing to swap out tires and the garages around here don't have time to change them. So I'm thinking about getting this tire changer. The garage charges $15 each tire and this is on sale for $39.99. The first to tires would pay for it.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=34542
I've used the smaller version to change ATV and trailer tires but not the bigger one like that. Matter of fact my buddy was using it Saturday night to mount some new ATV tires while we were waitin for the still to heat up. The long bar give a a good bit of leverage. It's not bad for occasional use.

I've used their bubble tire balancer as well. I balanced the tires on my silver wagon the week before mike meet with it at my friends shop. Rides smooth as hell.
Old March 9th, 2009, 08:07 PM   #52
bt12
Forum Member

Hi-jack!!! you young guys need to know how to take a tire off the rim. Thats why lug wrenches have that flat end on them. All you need is that and a hammer.

There is a guy doing it on truck( its the same procedure)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS8fmNCdx-w
bt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2009, 04:07 AM   #53
66 Shorty
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Yeah, that'll work if you don't care about you nice (new) Aluminum rims, or chipping the nice freshly powder coated rims...

66 Shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2009, 04:29 AM   #54
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66 Shorty View Post
Yeah, that'll work if you don't care about you nice (new) Aluminum rims, or chipping the nice freshly powder coated rims...
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=66572

Old March 10th, 2009, 10:23 AM   #55
bt12
Forum Member

Just dont think there are no options other than a tire shop. If you take your time and use some caution you will be fine.

on topic... Pass, these have been working for me for years

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=92148
bt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2009, 10:27 AM   #56
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bt12 View Post
Just dont think there are no options other than a tire shop. If you take your time and use some caution you will be fine.

on topic... Pass, these have been working for me for years

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=92148
"extra carbon brushes"

You'll probably need them, but there's something you rarely see with power tools anymore. I've probably replaced the brushes 5-6x in the 3/8" Craftsman drill I've had since I was a teenager, and they all came in the box with it when new.
Old March 10th, 2009, 01:22 PM   #57
matthewsuckerpunch
Forum Member

i got a small sand blaster there and its not bad. good for small stuff like wheels, but takes awhile to do cars. i usually just spot blast with it to get rid of big rust areas. we buy latex gloves there too and they arent bad, u get a bad one once in awhile. also have a rolley stool from there that i use the shit out of!
Old April 23rd, 2009, 04:30 AM   #58
66 Shorty
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
HF Torque Multiplier/Lug Nut Removal Tool: Pass (So far...)

I've only used it once. Worked GREAT on rusted lug nuts that had been stuck on for over 20 years! Bought it on sale for like $17.00.

Well, this tool Failed after only using it for a second time! It was an awesome tool, till it broke though.

Jack of all trades, Master of collecting projects.
(yeah the unfinished kind... )
"Bunny's Bug" Build thread
"The 66 Shorty" Build thread

Looking for "Buggy parts" for my Spatz Buggy (Budget build)...
Old April 23rd, 2009, 05:28 PM   #59
pistolpete76
Pinstriper Extraordinaire

you get what you pay for. Harbor Freight rocks for having the tool you need for a one off job or to get you out of a pinch, nothing lasts forever, especially if its cheaply made. Not everyone can afford top notch, in my experience, anything that doesnt have working parts such as screw drivers, wrenches, hammers are fine to date still. Spray guns, work great but quickly deminish to crap. thread tape, electrical shit like terminals and connectors, heat shrink, clamps, etc are cheap and perfect. Gloves and tarps, tie-downs. One of the hottest tools is their pnuematic little cutoff wheel. you can score it for under 10 bucks often and the little bastard is awesome! Drill bits suck!
car ramps and axle stands are great.
My favorite brand they have their for being a stronger yet cheap tool is the "Pittsburg" gear. go for that if they have what you need by them, vise grips etc are perfect
pistolpete76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2009, 03:11 AM   #60
66 Shorty
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Thanks for the info Pete!

Jack of all trades, Master of collecting projects.
(yeah the unfinished kind... )
"Bunny's Bug" Build thread
"The 66 Shorty" Build thread

Looking for "Buggy parts" for my Spatz Buggy (Budget build)...
Old July 20th, 2009, 03:55 PM   #61
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I bought a set of the $7.99 screwdrivers. I haven't even opened them yet but I'll let you know how they fare as I use them.

I also got the little MIG welder cart. I used a 20% off coupon so I got it for $39.99. It's better than I thought it would be actually. I will modify it a little (need to raise the welder 1/8" so the door will open). I'll have to trim one of the slanted uprights as well but it's not bad for $40. I was going to build my own but I'm not sure if I could have for $40. I may still if I can pick up some materials cheap.

I only have one bottle of argon and it is still on the back of my Lincoln. I'll get a bottle for this one soon.

Quote:
No pics, but oh well, if you really, really need to see metal removed, turn off your computer and work on your car... ~ Ray-Dean
bugdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2009, 03:59 PM   #62
grumpy
Mr. Asshole Moderator

I got the same cart, same though process. Be careful when you get the tank on, my tall tank does not like the ride. I need to upgrade the casters. Once you get the welder on you just about exceeded the max weight anyways, or so i read. But again fro $40 a few bucks for better casters its worth the trouble of not making one from scratch plus you can modify this one to fit the needs.
Old July 20th, 2009, 04:14 PM   #63
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
I got the same cart, same though process. Be careful when you get the tank on, my tall tank does not like the ride. I need to upgrade the casters. Once you get the welder on you just about exceeded the max weight anyways, or so i read. But again fro $40 a few bucks for better casters its worth the trouble of not making one from scratch plus you can modify this one to fit the needs.
Exactly! I'm going to buy a smaller bottle for this one and make a bracket that pushes it out from the welder a little and wraps 180* like my lincoln. That should help with stability some.

Quote:
No pics, but oh well, if you really, really need to see metal removed, turn off your computer and work on your car... ~ Ray-Dean
Old July 20th, 2009, 04:37 PM   #64
grumpy
Mr. Asshole Moderator

i was lucky enough to trade and get a tall bottle. I think I will use one of my ratchet straps for it. I so need to get some better casters.
Old July 20th, 2009, 09:57 PM   #65
pistolpete76

I was fixing yet another blown air bag on the back of my GT Cruiser the other week and the car supplied car jack buckled and the car dropped down and crushed the shit out of it. SO, I had to get the car off the ground so I went to Harbor freight, and reluctantly bought a 2.5 ton hydraulic floor jack. Was a cheap one so I wasn't expecting any more then a few uses before it let down so to speak, but the register guy said I could add a 2 year warranty for 9 bucks, and its covered no matter what, even if I did dumb shit with it, if it breaks I go there with it and exchange it for a brand new one. So at least I will have a strong jack for all my car work for a couple of years. So far so good, it's been put to heavy duty use! Even lifting a jacked up Jeep a few times.
Old July 20th, 2009, 09:58 PM   #66
pistolpete76

I bought a brake bleeding kit also, yet to use it but will make doing that chore a breeze!
Old July 21st, 2009, 12:27 AM   #67
vintage-raze
Forum Member

I got a little brake bleed from HF. Not a vacuum setup, just a little bottle with a hose. Works fantastic.

Well, fags... and magic clowns.
vintage-raze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 04:55 AM   #68
BattleBug
Forum Member

I bought the same cart last month. I built it up and found that the hardware was crap so I went to ace and replaced it all with better grade and nylon lock nuts. I don't know how many of those bolts I stripped just cranking it down that slight bit, not even really putting any torque to it. I also didn't like the tilt of the welder because if you run a tall bottle the upper back corner will push out on the bottle thus not being able to put the chain around it. So I levelled the top shelf and trimmed down the side to match the edge of the shelf. I also run a Hobart but it is the 187 so it needed to be raised in order to be able to open up the door. I used 4 pieces of gasket type material and put them where it appears you could screw a foot to. In one corner I ran a bolt through and put a nut on it to hold it in place. Since there is nothing to prevent it from sliding I wanted to lock it down. I'll snap a pic of it and post it up later tonight when I'm home. The only other thing I may change is the front casters. I don't particularly like those either but overall I like the cart and don't see the need to waste time making one now that I've got everything pretty much upgraded to a little more solid state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugdust View Post
I bought a set of the $7.99 screwdrivers. I haven't even opened them yet but I'll let you know how they fare as I use them.

I also got the little MIG welder cart. I used a 20% off coupon so I got it for $39.99. It's better than I thought it would be actually. I will modify it a little (need to raise the welder 1/8" so the door will open). I'll have to trim one of the slanted uprights as well but it's not bad for $40. I was going to build my own but I'm not sure if I could have for $40. I may still if I can pick up some materials cheap.

I only have one bottle of argon and it is still on the back of my Lincoln. I'll get a bottle for this one soon.

Battlebug EZ Bake Oval 65 Daily
BattleBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 04:58 AM   #69
TJM
Forum Member

Well, I must say that I have had a lot of luck with Harbor Freight. I've got a upright 110volt air compressor that I have been using for 2 years now. Bought it on sale for $119.00 No, I do not use it for spray guns. Also, my 4-1/2" grinder. It's great. Bought it after my Makita took a dump. Would I buy their hand tools for everyday work? Definitely not. I will continue using my trusted Snap- On tools. Oh, did I mention, I was a Snap-On dealer for 3 years many, many, many years ago?

Last edited by TJM; July 21st, 2009 at 05:00 AM. Reason: Typo
TJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 05:35 AM   #70
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleBug View Post
I bought the same cart last month. I built it up and found that the hardware was crap so I went to ace and replaced it all with better grade and nylon lock nuts. I don't know how many of those bolts I stripped just cranking it down that slight bit, not even really putting any torque to it. I also didn't like the tilt of the welder because if you run a tall bottle the upper back corner will push out on the bottle thus not being able to put the chain around it. So I levelled the top shelf and trimmed down the side to match the edge of the shelf. I also run a Hobart but it is the 187 so it needed to be raised in order to be able to open up the door. I used 4 pieces of gasket type material and put them where it appears you could screw a foot to. In one corner I ran a bolt through and put a nut on it to hold it in place. Since there is nothing to prevent it from sliding I wanted to lock it down. I'll snap a pic of it and post it up later tonight when I'm home. The only other thing I may change is the front casters. I don't particularly like those either but overall I like the cart and don't see the need to waste time making one now that I've got everything pretty much upgraded to a little more solid state.
I just flipped the top shelf over on mine, then bolted piece of 18 gauge angle I had on the back to keep it from sliding off the back. I was going to trim the supports so it sits level, but I just haven't bothered to take the time to do it yet. Mine was on sale and I also had another 20% off cupon but I don't rememeber exactly what I paid for it. I think it came out to a little over $30. I've got better casters and wheels for it as well if I ever take the time to mess with it.
Old July 21st, 2009, 05:38 AM   #71
ClassicGMJunkie
Forum Member

half my shit is Snap-On or sold from them, or the other end of the spectrum from HF. if you know what to buy there, you get some killer deals. Usually with some tweaking like the above welding cart needs, most of their tools can last and be useful without the high prices. currently their cheapass $11 tap & die set is saving my ass from masterseries'd threads being too tight and cleans them up without a problem.

i plan on getting a couple engine stands for rotisserie uses and a parts washer as well. I have the bench style soda blaster cab but it needs some overhaulin to become a bulletproof unit. thought about their TIG setup, but it cant be of great quality at under $400.... who knows. might be a cheap way to get used to it and upgrayedd to something better later on.

meanwhile i'm tryin to sell $4800 worth of Snap-On tool boxes to get a killer compressor and welder setup.

62 Impala buildup...kustom/6shooter lowrod

62 Impala 2dr HT build

70 Corvair-motorvated drop top Beetle Projekt
70 Cabrio build

Intro thread

http://www.volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25084
ClassicGMJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 05:17 PM   #72
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I took a few minutes and made a few mods to the cart today. I still want to do a couple more things to it.

I trimmed the right upright so it is even with the tray, which I also took about 1mm off of (which I would not have done if I would have found the rubber mat first)

I lowered the hook on the right side to the bottom set of holes, cut a piece of old rubber truck bed mat (about 3-16"-1/4" thick) and put it in the top tray and made a bottle guide for the back (nevermind the fingerprint ).

I'm going to put a piece of the rubber mat under the bottle, make a stop to keep the bottom of the bottle from kicking forward (block of wood?) and raise up the top chain and mount it better. All quick, easy, cheap (free!) mods that make this little cart a lot better.

Quote:
Old June 20th, 2010, 06:47 PM   #73
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Wow, almost a year since anyone posted here (me!).

The little weld cart is still doing just fine. I bought the 5 pc. set of fiberglass ball-peen hammers and they seen good so far. I bought a pack of 1/4" air nipples and they are bigger than 1/4" and don't fit any of my tools. It says 1/4" on the pack and they are not quite 3/8" so...? They were a couple bucks so I won't cry for long.

The orange handled screwdrivers with the black "grip" on them suck. I got a set a while back and a lot of them have twisted the ends (straight slots). I never liked them. I did buy a set of the orange and green handled screwdrivers because I need some and I was there. They are cheap so I will make a point to buy some good ones somewhere else soon. The cheap Stanleys I bought my wife for her house toolbox are pretty nice actually.

I bought a tree trimmer (manual with a rope) and it seems good so far. I'll let you know how it goes.

Quote:
Old June 20th, 2010, 08:33 PM   #74
rostigbug
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I bought the manual tire changer.(49.00) It works great.
I hadda bolt it to the floor then it worked just fine.
Old June 21st, 2010, 03:12 AM   #75
PureC4
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Well, this tool Failed after only using it for a second time! It was an awesome tool, till it broke though.
Mine failed the first time, crank handle broke. took it back and got a refund. no problems

We lust for what we want, and weep for what we need!
PureC4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
harbor freight, tools