Total Online: 471

Newest Member: justinvw2275

Latest Threads
- by Bugula

Old February 23rd, 2012, 03:36 PM   #376
UT-X
Forum Member

Default Re: '37 Volkster Coupe

Ok Mark, now it's time to take a '37 Ford Roadster Coupe and turn it into a Beetle.
UT-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2012, 09:34 PM   #377
markh
Forum Member

Turn a '37 into a Beetle. That's funny right there!

Ok, updated my build thread with photos but I've run across a couple of things that have me puzzled.

Fuel gauge reads half tank when there is only a gallon in it?
It's a '70/71-ish speedo with the electronic fuel gauge. A standard bug fuel tank and a one-wire sending unit on top. Power to gauge and one wire back to fuel tank. Seems wired correctly, so why the half tank reading? Read something about a vibrator wire?

Secondly, the electric fuel pump is noisy as all hell.
Failed to look at the brand of the pump so I don't know.
The carbs seem real happy with the pressure though.

When the pump was first plumbed, wired and fired up, it banged hard until some fuel made it through the lines, then it seemed to quite down. Still a rapid pulsing or sound like rapid knuckle knocking on sheetrock kind of sound.

Is there such thing as a quite pump?

Also, with all the electrical testing, running of the air ride system, door actuators, etc., is it advised to run the fuel pump on a separate on/off switch or is it ok to let the pump pulse while doing other things? (It's powered/wired to the accessory position of the key.)

Tucked away for the night.
markh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2012, 09:57 PM   #378
markh
Forum Member

Oh...Looking for a couple last minute things:

1. Horn. (ok a working horn out of anything)

2: '68-72 convertible sun visors and the top lock latches that the visors slide on.

Niether need be new just something operable and paintable.
Old February 27th, 2012, 04:23 AM   #379
purplemyth
moody witch

Member Photo Albums

I can't remember what tank you have in here or the sender. Hubby had one do the 1/2 thing til he turned it around, the float was apparently sitting on a baffle or something?

As for noisy pump, Ours do that too. The one in the bay is the long cylinder style, we just put a piece of insulation under it so it doesn't rattle against metal. But ours is sitting on the side , I assume yours is actually mounted properly, so might try some kind of rubber mounts? Or fat rubber washers to absorb the vibration? But most of them do tend to make some slight vibe noise. I kinda like it, lets me know it IS working.

And ours is run direct but if we are working on something for a long time, we tend to just pull the power wire off along with the ign so it doesn't burn anything up..
A separate switch is a good idea though.

Looks absolutely beautiful Mark!
Originally Posted by fishguts
My attraction to volksrods is that these are bottom-feeders where things are still real ... people scraping together parts, doing their own work and often on a tight budget. Real hot rodding is still alive here.
purplemyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2012, 05:10 AM   #380
OB'S Customs
Forum Member

Hey Mark,
I have a Samurai that I did a motor swap using a cylinder type fuel pump and was surprised how loud they are as someone else said wrapped in some insulation to help with noise, it is powered by the the ignition switch as yours...Fuel gauge the same thing happened I pulled the fuel sender cleaned the contacts and it solved the problem.
OB'S Customs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2012, 08:06 AM   #381
markh
Forum Member

Thanks for the feedback. Also received a call this morning from Mundo (Ray) he mentioned something about a adjustment screw on the top of the sender? He also suggested running a switch to the pump.

There is a good chance I did not clock the sending unit correctly in the gas tank. It could be hitting something inside? I'll give the contacts a good cleaning as well and see if that works.

The fuel pump is bolted directly to the underside of the rear parcel tray, above the rear end of the transaxle and as far away from the exhaust as possible. It is also outside of my rear gas tank fuel compartment area. I have some rubber washers to use and could also wrap it in insulation of some sort just to muffle it. Ok. Sounds good.

Thanks again, Mark
Old February 27th, 2012, 03:49 PM   #382
trikertroy
Forum Member

There are rubber mounts for the pumps..Im sure they will help with quieting things down. They should come with the pumps but dont.

I kinda like to hear it purr so I know the damn thing is working..
trikertroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2012, 07:55 PM   #383
mundo
Forum Member

Mark I looked at the sender on my truck it does not have an adjustment but if you know your not hitting anything and it has full movement give it a little bend on the float arm to compensate and see if that will help.. or come and get mine and see if you get the same result its just sitting on the tank.

Mundo
Old February 27th, 2012, 08:58 PM   #384
Cat Box
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

On my electric fuel pump I will be running it with a relay that senses the engine when it is actually running. This way if a horrific accident happens I dont go adding to it by continuing to supply fuel to the mess.

It senses the points or tach output and closes the contact for the power to the pump. Engine no run, no fuel from pump.

Its like $35 from Aircooled.net.

http://www.Rosecityvolksters.com
Cat Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2012, 06:03 AM   #385
UT-X
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markh View Post
Secondly, the electric fuel pump is noisy as all hell.
Failed to look at the brand of the pump so I don't know.
The carbs seem real happy with the pressure though.
Hey Mark! I had the same problem with my electric fuel pump. It almost made more noise than my engine! Crazy noisy. I switched to a Mr Gasket Micro (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MRG-12S/) and it's very quiet. Pretty cheap, too. I believe most Auto Zones/Advanced Auto Parts also carry them. If you go this route the lower PSI pump pushes plenty of fuel for mine (1914, fairly heavy cam, dual 44s).

BTW - I saw somebody said to insulate it but that could make it overheat and croak prematurely.
UT-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 08:38 AM   #386
markh
Forum Member

My case is a FI case so no option for a mechanical fuel pump.

I should run a relay like Catbox suggests. That's pretty cool.

It is NOT being suggested to run the positive (power) side of the pump to the oil pressure switch?

Rather Whozawhat you are suggesting running a oil pressure safety switch which, in virtue and design, does the same thing as the relay suggested by Catbox?

UT-X - My fuel pump looks almost EXACTLY like that one. Without the big sticker.

I'll throw some rubber washers on there and see how that goes.

Thanks everyone.

I'll be getting back to the fuel pump once I recover from heart palpitations. My glass guy has broke TWO windshields and is giving a third a crack today. Crap$$$$$$!!!
This is one of those situtations where I SHOULD HAVE TRIED THIS AT HOME!
With such great success the first two chops, we thought it would be smooth sailing. Fingers crossed he gets it this time. I can't take it anymore!!
Old February 29th, 2012, 10:08 AM   #387
Mikelrome
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

When you relay the pump you will need to have a switch to prime the car if it sits too long. I did this on my 240z. I'll see if I still have my book for the wiring. Don't have the book. This is How it was done.
http://www.how-to-build-hotrods.com/...fuel-pump.html

Last edited by Mikelrome; February 29th, 2012 at 10:24 AM.
Mikelrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2012, 04:00 AM   #388
Doc
Forum Member

So inspiring! Lotta smart stuff to steal for my own crude experiments. Awsome build Mark.
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2012, 07:02 AM   #389
markh
Forum Member

Mikelrome - went through the fuel pump reference link and at least I put the filter in the right place in series and the pump is close to the tank, gravity fed and outside any internally related spaces. I have the relays to make a switch work. With Whozawhat's clarification, I understand now. That makes sense. Thank you. I should be able to get back to the fuel pump this weekend.

Well, the glass guy broke the last one. SOOOOOO.... Picked up ANOTHER new one last night. Took it home and did the 4" diamond edge tile saw on my angle grinder....and nailed it. DONE! (Attention: anyone reading this thread, do not follow my lead on how-to have a windshield cut down, it will cost you dearly if you do.) I'm just sayin'.

The edges are rough but I'm dropping the windshield off to the glass guy who (for free) is sanding and polishing the edges down for me. The least he could do.

Doc, I steal a lot of stuff off this board. Super talented people dinking around here with these v-dubs.
Old March 1st, 2012, 07:47 AM   #390
sandfreaks
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Wow!
Your build is just amazing mark!
Love to read on your progress.

I ran an Electrical pump on my 1776 with dual 40's
and had to run a preuusre reducer also, set at 3 psi.
Was told it could overcome the floats with much more pressure.
Mine was noisy as heck to so ran Rubber gromets between the metal
and pump as suggested but also placed it in a box that was open on the bottom
so that it didn't get to hot. Not sure that would matter really
since gas will keep it semi cold anyways.
It made a huge difference in noise though.

Hope to make it this year to Portland and see it in person!
Will you be at the Northwest Bug run also this year?
sandfreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2012, 09:44 AM   #391
jaransonT3
Type 3 Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Box View Post
On my electric fuel pump I will be running it with a relay that senses the engine when it is actually running. This way if a horrific accident happens I dont go adding to it by continuing to supply fuel to the mess.

It senses the points or tach output and closes the contact for the power to the pump. Engine no run, no fuel from pump.

Its like $35 from Aircooled.net.
Another option is to get yourself a Ford Fuel Pump Cut-off Inertia switch and wire it in. This switch normally completes the electric power connection to the pump, but "trips" like a circuit breaker if there is any signifcant impact on the vehicle (like a crash). It has a reset button if it ever does trip.

Here is a little article from Toby Erkson's site describing the installation he did. It also has the details of the part number.
Electric Fuel Pump Cut-off Inertia Switch by Toby Erkson
If you use an electric fuel pump for your carbs then you need to have a safety system that will kill power to the pump in the event of an accident, otherwise you run the risk of pumping fuel all over the accident scene and increasing the chances for a major fire.
Here's the info on the switch (date was 10Mar00):
Part Number: XF3Z*9341*AA
Description: SW ASY-INE (hey, this is what the receipt shows)
I called it a fuel pump cut-off inertia switch.
List price: $14.71
I paid: $10.75
It's a simple, mechanical switch w/three contacts: A common, a NO pin and a NC pin. There's a big red button on the top to easily reset it should it be tripped. Really a no-brainer for installation but you will get strange looks from the Ford parts dude when they ask you what it's for :)

You want to solidly mount it to the body of the car. I mounted mine inside the spare tire well next to the stock jack location.

BTW, Mark.....good job on the windshield. Looking forward to see the pics of the completer car. Looks great so far.
'69 Square (Panel wanna-be)
'70/'71 Fasty (Jane - the Lead Sled project)

My Home Page
CarArt by John Jaranson
2010 Type 3 Invasion
jaransonT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2012, 12:06 PM   #392
Mikelrome
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I think a rabbit fuel pump relay would work. It runs off the dizzy. Also a mitsubishi or subaru relay. My subi has one it only opens with pulse reads like a tach. It's located under the hood open latch under the dash.

Found the info:
http://www.ratwell.com/mirror/www.do...com/relay.html

Last edited by Mikelrome; March 1st, 2012 at 12:18 PM.
Mikelrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2012, 11:02 AM   #393
markh
Forum Member

Poor lighting but here's a door panel. One down, one to go. The "tan" color is a tad off from the seats but I'll (at a later time) color match everything! I have a plan...

The swooping "V" raised panel will carry in to the front quarter panels and around the B-pillars. Should have all the panels done this weekend. Hopefully the new carpet comes in today?

Anyone notice the late style window crank? Yep! The regulator in the convertible door is out of a '67 Sedan.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 03:54 PM   #394
AirheadZim
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Mark that thing is a beauty. You should be proud of it and I personally followed your build from the start and enjoyed watching your car take shape. Isn't it great to be at the stage where youre working all the "bugs" out though? to you!!!
Zim'rod (zim'-rod)n.- a handbuilt Volkswagen hotrod or jalopy, sometimes a pick-up, from several different years of the classic German automobile. In particular, 67', 69', 72', and 74' model years. Built from the realm of an insane mind, with a volksrod theme or style. Thank you bugdust.
Daily driver: 91' Cadillac Brougham.
AirheadZim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2012, 08:19 AM   #395
Cat Box
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I love it when a plan comes together....

http://www.Rosecityvolksters.com
Cat Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 08:02 PM   #396
markh
Forum Member

It's the best part of the build, putting it back together. Thanks Zim.

The plan keeps moving forward. Interior......done. just waiting the carpet arrival. Pics tomorrow....

Catbox, you and Mark available some night this coming week or next Saturday? Got the fuel pump on a switch but I plan to source a safety switch for the pump. Later though.....
Old March 5th, 2012, 07:41 AM   #397
markh
Forum Member

A busy weekend on the Volkster.

Glass in:

Interior:

Carried the swoopping V through the kick panels.

Luggage area behind the seats. You can also see the B-pillars are completely wrapped and the seat belts are in:

On the back panel, it's a raised tribal flame design. For fun, I also replicated the front seat panel design atop the access doors.

Progress with the canvasss Miata top re-install. It will require some canvass work by a professional but functionally it is working very well.

Up next....
- Finish up some wiring
-Hang all the front steel for the last time.
- Attach the rear edge of the vert canvass to the body for the last time.
Progress.
Old March 5th, 2012, 11:03 AM   #398
purplemyth
moody witch

Member Photo Albums

All I can do is and
Originally Posted by fishguts
My attraction to volksrods is that these are bottom-feeders where things are still real ... people scraping together parts, doing their own work and often on a tight budget. Real hot rodding is still alive here.
purplemyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 02:44 PM   #399
1slo3
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

total AWESOMENESS!
1slo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 03:15 PM   #400
richie
Forum Member

I dont even have the words.......Absolutely stunning!Man....That car is gonna give back to you fer a long time.......Beautiful.