Newest Member: IDA

Latest Threads
- by Bugula

Old January 18th, 2011, 10:49 PM   #176
Steve
Administradora El Polacko

Member Photo Albums
Default Re: '37 Volkster Coupe

I would take Paul's (p-nor's) advice when it comes to the fittings... that's what the man does for a living.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2011, 08:02 AM   #177
markh
Forum Member

P-nor, the tee fittings I understand. You are right, the connectors with the brass ferrules pinched on the plastic lines came from another section of the air system.

...(If running plastic tubing with compression joints, you should also use a brass insert to stiffen the tubing where the ferrule will be compressing.)

...ok this makes sense but I cannot remember when I pulled off the line with the ferrules, if the connection or intersection had an internal brass sleeve???I'll take a look on the weekend.

But the brass ferrules are all treated the same, correct? In running to a Depot or Lowes and using the ferrules as Steve suggests, aren't the brass ferrules going to do the same thing? Assuming they fit my 1/4" OD lines and there is a internal brass sleeve at the connector.

What a pain in the ass.
markh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2011, 08:44 AM   #178
Steve
Administradora El Polacko

Member Photo Albums

These are the compression inserts Paul is talking about...

Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2011, 05:18 PM   #179
p-nor
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markh View Post
P-nor, the tee fittings I understand. You are right, the connectors with the brass ferrules pinched on the plastic lines came from another section of the air system.

...(If running plastic tubing with compression joints, you should also use a brass insert to stiffen the tubing where the ferrule will be compressing.)

...ok this makes sense but I cannot remember when I pulled off the line with the ferrules, if the connection or intersection had an internal brass sleeve???I'll take a look on the weekend.

But the brass ferrules are all treated the same, correct? In running to a Depot or Lowes and using the ferrules as Steve suggests, aren't the brass ferrules going to do the same thing? Assuming they fit my 1/4" OD lines and there is a internal brass sleeve at the connector.

What a pain in the ass.
You want to use the insert that Steve posted but a poly version of the brass ferrules that you already have. The problem with the brass ferrules is that they will cut into the poly tubing and may cause leaks. The brass ferrules are to be used on copper tubing mostly and will compress without damaging the metalic lines but are too hard for platic tubing. You can get the inserts made of brass or plastic, I'd use the brass ones. They'll stiffen the plastic tubing enough that it won't collapse when you use a poly ferrule but won't keep a brass one from cutting the tubing. Hopefully this makes sense. I'm sure I've made it 100x more complicated sounding than it really is.

Paul

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

http://rocksteadyplumbing.com/
p-nor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2011, 09:06 AM   #180
markh
Forum Member

Thanks Paul. With your advice, I stopped by a truck/trailer supply and all they had were the push connects. No ferrules, brass or poly nor the inserts to fit the 1/4" line ....bummer.

It wasn't confussing at all. Made complete sense. Thanks again, Mark
Old January 21st, 2011, 01:36 PM   #181
p-nor
Forum Member

There's really nothing wrong with the push-in fittings made for trucks. I didn't mean to sound like you should use compression fitting instead, just wanted to outline which parts are needed if you went that route. Those push-in fittings are used on BIG trucks for air suspension and I think even air brakes.

Paul

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

http://rocksteadyplumbing.com/
p-nor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2011, 01:49 PM   #182
markh
Forum Member

No problem p-nor. I got a PM from Wraithblade and he is hooking me up with the stuff and 15' of line. (burned a hole in a line from all the welding).
Thank you and thank you again Wraithblade....I was going to drive myself crazy over a couple little ferrules and inserts.

Now, back to our regulary scheduled program.
Old January 31st, 2011, 07:29 AM   #183
Cat Box
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

So over the weekend Mark had his own impromptu Mark Meet.

It was MarkH, Mundo, TotallyVW, Fernon, and Myself.

I and my friend Mark H (I was surrounded by MarkH's) showed up at noon and started looking over Marks progress thus far.

The man has vision that is for sure.

All of the rough outline is in place and now it is time to start making it all work harmoniously togther towards the finished product.

I and TotallyVW removed the engine while Mundo worked on trying to figure out how to make the headlights work for the car. When Fernon showed up he had the winning answer for that question that took us all on a field trip through the farm looking for one light that mark had seen hanging on a "peice of wood".

There is a ton of stuff out there, to say the least. Mark explained that if he needs stuff for the builds he simply walks out of the shop and looks around through the stuff to find what he wants.

I also removed the wiring harness from the '67 using wire cutters. I could feel a purist crying when I was just chopping away at it.

We then removed the window regulators from the doors that are on it and that was it for us.

MarkH, Mundo, and Fernon able to play longer on the project, but it was still a good time. Plus I can say the I helped on this one at least a little bit.

Oh and Uncle Kenny was fun to watch on the fork lift in the mud...

Peter

http://www.Rosecityvolksters.com
Cat Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 07:41 AM   #184
Cat Box
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Pictures.

I will let them speak for themselves.

Engine removal.

TotallyVW (Mark), Mundo (Ray), and MarkH

Cleanup

Mundo, MarkH, and Fernon checking stuff out

Miata vert frame in place (Turbo should like that...)

Headlight figuring....

Old January 31st, 2011, 07:45 AM   #185
Cat Box
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Fernon and his great idea.

That is all for now and these will probablly be the only build pics you will ever see....

We all had a good time and I only cut myself once on it. That was amazing as the car is full of sharp edges.

Peter

Old January 31st, 2011, 03:25 PM   #186
markh
Forum Member

Thanks for posting the photos Catbox. Good thing someone was responsible enough to take a couple pics. Hell, I forgot to pick up some Yoohoo for the group.

It was really great meeting everyone. TotallyVW is a motor guru and pointed out some interesting facts about the 1776, the Spanish Webers and the fact the tranny looks new or rebuilt! All good news.

As Mundo, Catbox and I stared and debated how one might get an early vw headlight to work in the '37 bucket, we all drew a blank and pointed at Fernon. Fernon with his great ideas chirps in, "why not stick a buggy headlight INSIDE the '37 bucket and hide it all behind the '37 lens?" Well, Duh...

So now I'm on a quest for a pair of 7" round street legal buggy headlights.

Before Fernon left though, I recruited him to help figure out one sheet metal design issue I've been having with the top of the rear fenders. It's where a multitude of bodylines merge at the rear quarter panels. Without even blinking, he grabs a sharpie, draws a couple lines and Boom! I have two pieces of sheetmetal to cut tonight and all is well. Not before he cut his finger and bled all over the car. HAHAHA! (he is human..)

Again, thanks everyone. I must go get some work and dull some of those sharp edges so people stop cutting themselves.
Old January 31st, 2011, 05:23 PM   #187
fernon
Forum Member

Well Gentlemen, It was great to finally put a face to some of the people on Volksrods. I would especially like to thank all of you for taking the time to meet with me and to throw out some ideas back and forth. MarkH, you have truelly raised the bar when it comes to building Volksrods. I am still in awe after seeing what you are doing with that build. The photos don't do it justice and the vision you have when it comes to building cars is something most people lack. Also let me know if you are planning on doing the tail lights like we talked about and I will do some research to find the lights for you. Mundo, it was great to throw ideas back and forth with you, you are definately a talented individual with a knowledge of building that is impressive as well as intriguing, I can't wait to see your build come along, it sounds like it is going to be a wild ride. CatBox, well, what can I say... First off thanks for documenting the day, I know the camera adds 10 lbs. to you but how many damn cameras did you have on me. It looks like both of us have Christened the Volksrod with our blood. I wish I was able to get there earlier to watch you and TotallyVW pull the engine out. I have heard nothing but good things about TotallyVW when it comes to engines - He knows his Shit!!!
Again, Thank You guys it was great to finally meet you... and remember the word of the day is "NUTSERT"

Forum Members Comments (Fernon's Chop)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Why do you have to "put your two cents in,"
but it's only a "penny for your thoughts"?
Where's that extra penny going to?

Just remember saying I'm sorry and appologizing are the same thing.
Unless you are at a funeral.
fernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 06:49 PM   #188
Cat Box
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

But you win the blood war as it simply cut into me, I had the sense enoiught to stop before it really got a hold of my flesh. TotallyVW is my jedi master when it comes to these carsand I thought that he would have fun working on it. Smiles all around.

I took the pics with my droid and made sure to aim the fish eye filter directly at everybodys stomachs. Just to make us all look good.....oh wait there aren't any pics of me on there.....for good reason.

Last edited by Cat Box; January 31st, 2011 at 06:53 PM.
Old January 31st, 2011, 07:47 PM   #189
markh
Forum Member

As promised, here is the end result of the Fernon's contribution to the rear quarter panels:

The bodyline that gets gobbled up is the vw line down the length of the car. There are thee other lines coming up from back...let's see here...

A little more griding and all is good. Well, if you can't see the lines, they are there, promise. And yes, I did the otherside...but Catbox, you'll need to stray over to the member updates section to preview.

It's a million times better than where I was before Sunday:

Thanks again. I do have to say all of the volksrodders I've ever met are just GOOD people...ok, Catbox, you are included in that group as well.
Old January 31st, 2011, 08:00 PM   #190
mundo
Forum Member

Guys. I had a good time always do when I go hang out with Mark anyway.. look farword to getting together again soon... Fernon give me a shout anytime your up this way if you want you can come throw ideas at my now 3 year project... " Hi my name is Ray and I have 3 vw projects, Therfore I am a vw addict... " Help!!! or just go have a beer and talk cars.

Will look forward to dressing up marks motor soon

Ray
Old January 31st, 2011, 09:04 PM   #191
fernon
Forum Member

MarkH, Looks good, but see I only gave you the two second fix for the rear panel, I forgot to add the filler piece to tie the rear body line into the VW line. It's an easy fix, you just need to add a small piece (see black section on photo) this will fill in that section and will also follow the curv of the rear valance and will get rid of the abrupt stop in the body line. After you feather all the lines in it will look like it came from the factory...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Old February 1st, 2011, 03:20 PM   #192
SuicdRn1
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markh View Post

As Mundo, Catbox and I stared and debated how one might get an early vw headlight to work in the '37 bucket, we all drew a blank and pointed at Fernon. Fernon with his great ideas chirps in, "why not stick a buggy headlight INSIDE the '37 bucket and hide it all behind the '37 lens?" Well, Duh...

So now I'm on a quest for a pair of 7" round street legal buggy headlights.
I don't get on here too much anymore, but I saw your postings and pics and thought I might give you a hand.
If you're going to run the 37 buckets and frames you might want to look into finding who it is that sells the clear lenses for them.The stock lenses and the repro ones have a terrible fluting built into them, making for terrible lighting conditions. There is a company that makes a conversion light that uses the clear lenses and a sealed beam inside the bucket.I have seen them and I'm sure they would work better than the stock setup.Mine are halogen conversions and they suck.They're OK til you put on the stock lens.Bad part about the clear conversion is it's EXPENSIVE.
Just some more info to confuse ya.. . Good Luck, Norm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Del Mar.jpg (154.3 KB, 18 views)
Old February 1st, 2011, 06:46 PM   #193
markh
Forum Member

Hey there SuicdRn1, I've been reading the same thing and the plan is to use the clear lenses rather than the flutted. They distort the beam. I've been looking at the conversion kits and they are $4-500 for the pair (Without lenses). Been on ebad a lot and have seen the clear lenses at a decent price. Hence looking at other options for the lighting.

I agree Fernon, I think it will be better to work in the bodyline up over the top of the rear deck with the addition of the wedge you suggest. Tomorrow...I'll get those shaped in tomorrow..
Old February 1st, 2011, 08:13 PM   #194
Cat Box
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Ok you included me so I'll stop pickin on you for not posting more over here. Your build has loads of good pictures in it.

Old February 2nd, 2011, 03:13 AM   #195
big daddy chuck
Forum Member

Great build, I've been watching this on come along, and WOW is it going to be a winner, Anyhow I'd like to throw a couple of ideas in the hat.

Sitting in the reading room yesterday, flipping thru March 2011 Rod and Custom magazine, there is an advert for a company called Street Rod Headquarters,

www.streetrodhq.com

they have a cool st up for '37 headlamp buckets, and LOTS of 7" headlamp ideas. I'm putting up 2 that I think are cool for your ride, here they are.

http://www.streetrodhq.com/detail/21..._SET_FORD.html

and

Hope this worked.
big daddy chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 03:21 AM   #196
big daddy chuck
Forum Member

Here are the headlamp pictures I was trying to show. they sell several different types of 7" headlights, I'm sure something may catch your eye, and being HID style that will solve your light intensity problem.

Last edited by big daddy chuck; May 28th, 2011 at 05:51 AM.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 03:55 AM   #197
1stratrodvw
Forum Member

what about using indian motorcycle headlights? they have he same pear shape.
1stratrodvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 11:21 AM   #198
Cat Box
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by big daddy chuck View Post
Great build, I've been watching this on come along, and WOW is it going to be a winner, Anyhow I'd like to throw a couple of ideas in the hat.

Sitting in the reading room yesterday, flipping thru March 2011 Rod and Custom magazine, there is an advert for a company called Street Rod Headquarters,

www.streetrodhq.com

they have a cool st up for '37 headlamp buckets, and LOTS of 7" headlamp ideas. I'm putting up 2 that I think are cool for your ride, here they are.

http://www.streetrodhq.com/detail/21..._SET_FORD.html

and

Hope this worked.

That place is even located in Da 'Couve right near where mark lives.

Old February 2nd, 2011, 03:29 PM   #199
big daddy chuck
Forum Member

There is lots of cool stuff on that site, Hope that something makes it to the build. I read the part about the lens' dulling the light and think using a HID style lamp will work well.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 05:28 AM   #200
fernon
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big daddy chuck View Post
Here are the headlamp pictures I was trying to show. they sell several different types of 7" headlights, I'm sure something may catch your eye, and being HID style that will solve your light intensity problem.

MarkH, Those are the same lights that I am running, and the nice thing about them is that they accept H-4 bulbs which will give you a lot of option on light output. Also they came down in price since I bought them...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]