Total Online: 466

Newest Member: justinvw2275

Latest Threads
- by Bugula

Old April 1st, 2018, 09:17 PM   #76
Daddy o's 67
Forum Member

Default Re: 74 Super with Longitudinal Acura 3.2 V6

I used them on a Dunebuggy build I did with late Model 944 Aluminum trailing arms and they worked great.

All you need is the swans and the short adapters he sells.
Daddy o's 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2018, 07:16 PM   #77
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I'm really digging this build
Almost makes me wanna start over my V8 Bug build and put an old Tornado 455 in the back like I dreamed about almost 37 years ago, but I just need to get back to finishing mine, I haven't touched it since 2009, it hurts to walk past it every time I walk to the garage

Ron

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2018, 05:19 AM   #78
carwhisperer
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmaster1766 View Post
I'm really digging this build
Almost makes me wanna start over my V8 Bug build and put an old Tornado 455 in the back like I dreamed about almost 37 years ago, but I just need to get back to finishing mine, I haven't touched it since 2009, it hurts to walk past it every time I walk to the garage

Ron
Get back to it!
Instead of the 455 setup you could consider the small block setup that came with overdrive. Itís still longitudinal and I think you can get a Chevy small block to mate to it. I think the tranny is called th325-4 or something
carwhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2018, 01:54 PM   #79
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

One a these days I'll get back to mine, first I hafta put an engine in my 92 Eldorado, the engine has been sitting in front of it since 2012, my youngest son blew it up in 2010, that same October I got my current Volksrod which happens to be my daily driver, all my time and energy went to that, I've put about 17,000 miles on it since I started driving it in March of 2011, I was always doing something to it up until about a year ago, now the front suspension needs replaced again
I'd put the link to my Volksrod's build page but photobucket took all my pics away so there isn't much to see so here is a pic of it

I plan to start slowly redoing the outside sometime this year, it's really looking bad because all I do is drive it
Same thing with my V8 Bug aka The Bitch-N-bug, I use the front suspension from an S10 truck and built a 2" by 4" tube frame to the back, I have a positrac rear end from a 4wd S10 Blazer and a small block Ford and a C4 trans out of an 81 Mustang i bought for my wife back in 96, come to find out it was a 12 second 1/4 mile grocery getter, it had t-tops that leaked and it rusted out so i put it in a 66 Bug i had collecting rust after using a utility pole to stop it in a snow srorm back in 95, all the sheet metal is mostly from an S10 Blazer or truck except the dash that i moved 6 inched, that blue sheet metal is from the hood of the Mustang and has the horse emblem in the center of the dash, it still needs the firewall, exhaust and I'm hoping not to have cooling problems with the radiator in the rear, after i get the Eldorado out of the garage I'll put the Bug back in and get back to work on it, it's been a tough few years for me, between hospital stays and doctors i do my best to stay busy doing something, I've already spent one set of cat's 9 lives and I'm about a 3rd of the way thru my 2nd set, but I'll keep on going till i get all my projects finished, I'm planning to live way past 100 if i can help it
I need to fix the build page but here's a few pics

Ron

RSS
Old May 8th, 2018, 06:26 PM   #80
carwhisperer
Forum Member

Iím driving the Isuzu again and I worked on the bug briefly before my ďreliableĒ Mini Cooper developed a coolant leak. I assembled the pass side CV shaft and started working on the floor rust repair. I also moved the car way left to try to make my 2 car garage fit 3 cars and an 1800cc bike. They all go in but itís not very practical crawling out the window of the last car in.
Old May 8th, 2018, 06:27 PM   #81
carwhisperer
Forum Member

Old May 9th, 2018, 04:40 AM   #82
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Iím driving the Isuzu again and I worked on the bug briefly before my ďreliableĒ Mini Cooper developed a coolant leak.
If you haven't already located the leak, while looking up stuff on my wife's mini, apparently it's a common problem that the lower radiator hose gets knocked around due to low clearance.. It's tucked just behind the front bumper, so if you've hit some speed bumps or pot holes, it's possible that hose has been smacked around and either rubbed through or been popped off a little..

"I never trust a fighting man who doesn't smoke or drink or at least cause a little trouble." -Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr.
===========
Feel free to stare and admire,
but kindly tell me if it's on fire!

1972 VolksRod "Effigy" Build Thread
1986 Honda Shadow VT1100 Work Thread
tattooed_pariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2018, 08:35 AM   #83
carwhisperer
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattooed_pariah View Post
If you haven't already located the leak, while looking up stuff on my wife's mini, apparently it's a common problem that the lower radiator hose gets knocked around due to low clearance..
Thanks for the help! It appears to be my oil filter housing gasket. I already have the exhaust manifold off to get to it and I've ordered a gasket. I have to move the front subframe and core support forward to "service position" to finish the job. As with most leaks, I am always nervous as to whether what I do will fix the problem, but I'm hoping for the best!
Old May 9th, 2018, 08:40 AM   #84
carwhisperer
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmaster1766 View Post

Ron
That looks really cool! I like SBFs because they are smaller than a SBC by a little bit. Makes them easier to fit places. Too bad Ford went OHC in the 90s. Those mod motors are too dang tall and wide (as opposed to LSx stuff) for the HP they make.
Old May 27th, 2018, 05:37 PM   #85
carwhisperer
Forum Member

I cut out a spot for the radiator today. Itís an aftermarket Al unit (shiny!) for a 1st gen Legend. I bought a super thin AC condenser with nice mounting tabs for a Durango. The rad fitseasy. If I lean it back, as shown, I wouldnít even need to cut down the frame extension plate under the spare tire well. But I think standing it straight up will promote better air flow. I think subie guys have built supers with front rads vented only by the slats under the hood. I think thatís what Iíll try at first. Also, I took some time to put a hitch on the Mini. And the LS1 mini truck is back on the road.

Last edited by carwhisperer; May 27th, 2018 at 05:39 PM.
Old June 2nd, 2018, 07:33 PM   #86
carwhisperer
Forum Member

I spend a lot of time staring at stuff before I move forward, but this one was above average for me. There is tons of room in the front of a Super for heat exchangers, but it took me forever to come up with a plan for getting the air to pass through without the fans running all the time. Not sure if this will work but I guess Iíll give it a go. I still need to make the top rad mounts and run the hoses

Old June 2nd, 2018, 07:57 PM   #87
V8Transporter
Forum Member

Looks like you have the heated air exit covered too. Looks slick.
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2018, 09:35 AM   #88
carwhisperer
Forum Member

Thanks!
I went for a change of venue. Iím moving to my mountain cabin

Old July 14th, 2018, 09:37 AM   #89
carwhisperer
Forum Member

Old July 14th, 2018, 04:56 PM   #90
V8Transporter
Forum Member

So, how fast does your Bug push the truck along?
Old July 15th, 2018, 08:55 AM   #91
carwhisperer
Forum Member

😀
Old July 15th, 2018, 06:15 PM   #92
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Moving to the mountains huh, nice, that's our dream, to buy some land on the side of a mountain or somewhere a good distance from neighbors and build us a log cabin to spend the rest of our days in, but then again I'd be just as happy staying here, the only issue is the house next to us has been a rental for as long as we've lived here, the people in the house now are ok and before them were ok, but from the time we moved in until 8 years ago we had quite a few who either called the police because of our dog barking at 4 in the afternoon, or because of me making noise working on something

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Transporter View Post
So, how fast does your Bug push the truck along?
Ya know that comment brings back a memory, back in the spring of 92 me and 2 friends and my oldest son (only son at the time) took our rail buggies to the Meldahl dam on the Ohio river near Maysville Kentucky on the KY side where there are a bunch of sand dunes, it's about 50 miles east of Cinci, when it got dark we packed up to leave, my 74 Cutlass is what I towed my buggy there with, it wouldn't start for the ride home, I had drained about 3 gallons of gas out of the buggy just in case there weren't any gas stations open that evening which was a Sunday night, I had to push the Cutlass home, one friend had to steer and help stop because the buggy brakes just didn't do much good, well we just got on the bridge to cross back into Ohio which was about 3-1/2 miles from our house and my buggy ran out of gas, IF I had only taken 2 gallons out we would have made it home, and to answer your question about how fast I could push my car with my buggy, we got up to almost 75 mph on the 2 lane windy country road, when we got to Dayton Kentucky which is a small town just east of Cinci we got stopped at a traffic light right in front of the police station which had about 5 officers standing out front talking, they stopped talking to each other and took a good look at us sitting at the light, I waived at them, they waived back, the light turned green and off we went only to run out of gas about 3 miles from there, I didn't have any way to get gas out of my Cutlass easy, luckily my friend's buggy had about a half gallon left in it, we just took the fuel line off his tank to fill a can and dump it into my buggy, what an adventure that was, oh yeah it was the starter that went out on the Cutlass, but what a fun time it was pushing it home

Ron

RSS
Old July 16th, 2018, 09:15 AM   #93
V8Transporter
Forum Member

Old December 30th, 2018, 05:46 PM   #94
carwhisperer
Forum Member

Cool. I bought this place for $50K in 2012, when real estate was free here. It is a 1000sf 2 story built in 1953. I've spent about 50K updating it since then. There is a granny flat in a separate building that I rent as a vacation unit. I'm not the smartest guy on the planet, but I did get lucky I think.

I sold a house in Sacramento in September.I'm planning to watch the market over the next couple of years and move to the North Coast of California if things work out.

Where would you move? Would you stay in Idaho?
Old December 31st, 2018, 07:07 AM   #95
SCOTTRODS
Forum Member

I know the question wasn't;t directed at me... but I'd keep out of Cali at all costs... Also avoiding the 2 states north of it. Oregon and Washington are full of Shit too... (Sorry, I know some of you guys live there as well, but I've visited all of the above and have only seen the cities... so my assessment is based on the city life I have seen... totally uncool places). I have not experienced Idaho, so I cannot comment on that one, but I can assure you, Cali is gonna cost you everything you own and they'll find a way to take. your future from you even if you leave the place.
Old December 31st, 2018, 10:25 AM   #96
carwhisperer
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTRODS View Post
I know the question wasn't;t directed at me... but I'd keep out of Cali at all costs... Also avoiding the 2 states north of it. Oregon and Washington are full of Shit too... (Sorry, I know some of you guys live there as well, but I've visited all of the above and have only seen the cities... so my assessment is based on the city life I have seen... totally uncool places). I have not experienced Idaho, so I cannot comment on that one, but I can assure you, Cali is gonna cost you everything you own and they'll find a way to take. your future from you even if you leave the place.
Maybe I'm like a frog in a kettle, but it doesn't seem too bad to me. The 1975 gas/1997 diesel cutoff for emissions testing exemption makes it easy to find exempt chassis' for builds. As of now I can buy a house with a view of the Pacific Ocean and less than 20" of rain per year for 300K.

In my opinion, California deserves it's reputation for beauty. Tahoe, Santa Cruz, Santa Barbara, The Redwoods by Crescent City, Mammoth Lakes, Yosemite. Any one of these would be the highlight of 40 other states. The weather in Northern California near the coast is, on balance, in my opinion, about the best in the world.

Yes, the property and sales taxes are a little high I suppose. And sure there are other problems.

It's not for everyone, but I think it deserves it's iconic status (and all those songs).
Old December 31st, 2018, 12:38 PM   #97
V8Transporter
Forum Member

Yup, it's pretty rough out here. In the last eight months, two new neighbors have moved into the neighborhood, from Colorado, and Texas respectively. It's partly my fault that they bought their homes in our rural area near the Russian River. I loaned one couple one of my bikes so they could run out to the coast, 20 minutes from here. In spite of my warnings, they loved the coast, the woods, lack of street lights, and purchased a two level cabin a few houses down the street.
The guy from Texas stopped to check out my VW truck while his wife and a friend drove into town. We BS'd for an a hour, then hit the little Hamburger/pizza place eights minutes from here. They bought an old place (ours and most of the homes in these parts were originally built in the twenties to the early forties.) around the corner. His '53 Chevy five window pick up project fits right in.
Speaking of Santa Cruz, that's where I learned to surf. (buurrr).
I guess 'home' is what you make of it.
Old December 31st, 2018, 06:08 PM   #98
Bugula
Forum Member

Just stay away from Murder Mountain!
Bugula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2019, 03:52 PM   #99
carwhisperer
Forum Member

I haven't really done anything on the car since the move over the summer, but I went out to the newly heated garage, popped out the rear windows, and stared at it for an hour yesterday. I'm trying to decide whether to build an an engine cover and leave the roof of the car intact, or to make the back part of the roof into a giant hatch (cut close to where the blue lines are) and build a bulkhead with a window behind the seats, sort of like a pickup truck. Either way a Super Beetle silhouette will still be present. One consideration is that I want the car to be pretty quiet to drive, so whatever kind of barrier is between my ears and the engine I plan to make it double wall with insulation. Any votes?

1. Engine cover where the back seat was, popout rear windows to access engine.

2. Pickup truck style bulkhead with clamshell style rear of roof opening

Last edited by carwhisperer; January 6th, 2019 at 03:55 PM.
Old January 7th, 2019, 03:50 AM   #100
SCOTTRODS
Forum Member

Diggin' the concept of the Hatch like an Avalanche... It would be one of a kind for sure. And the back glass area could be set up multiple ways as well, either widened or enclosed and louvered or something... Limitless possibilities.