Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > The Tech Bin

The Tech Bin An ARCHIVE of helpful and informative tech posts...

User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 17,618
Threads: 32,327
Total Online: 477

Newest Member: IDA

Latest Threads
- by Bugula

Closed Thread

Old November 15th, 2004, 07:55 PM   #1
cdubvdub
Forum Member

so i searched and i couldnt find what i was looking for. What kind of bench seats are you guys using? I really like the was they look and am going to be looking into it.
Old November 15th, 2004, 07:58 PM   #2
gowjobs
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cdubvdub@Nov 15 2004, 08:55 PM
so i searched and i couldnt find what i was looking for. What kind of bench seats are you guys using? I really like the was they look and am going to be looking into it.
<div align="right">Quoted post</div>
Seems like I remember one or two starting with older minitruck benches, but I'll bet you could find plenty of removable third-row benches out of minivans available for a song, and they're narrow enough, since they're designed to fit between the wheelwells.

"When worse comes to worst...

..we're screwed"

Old November 15th, 2004, 09:01 PM   #3
Steve
Administradora El Polacko

Member Photo Albums

'77 Toyota p/u [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]

$35 at the wrecking yard. Narrowed about 1 1/2" with a sledge hammer.

(still won't be able to run door panels though...)

[attachmentid=2675]
Old November 16th, 2004, 03:29 AM   #4
Nick
Forum Member

356 optional bench seats [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]

It'll cost you though [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img] Another way it to take the two stock seats and connect them together (weld frames in between and re- upholster)

Old November 16th, 2004, 03:31 AM   #5
vwfanatic
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

dodge caravan 3rd row seat....even has armrests and seatbelts built it
Old November 16th, 2004, 04:05 AM   #6
Griznant
Forum Member

I really wanted to do a bench seat in mine, but now that I actually have the roof on, and the floor channeled, I've discovered that this is no longer possible. Basically, I'll end up sitting on the floor, and the tunnel will be damned near high enough to be a center console! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink.gif[/img]

So, the bench seat is out. I don't want to copy Walt's kick-ass bomber seats, so I need to come up with something. Even a milk crate is too high! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool.gif[/img]
Old November 16th, 2004, 06:44 AM   #7
Top_Fuel_Thomas
Forum Member

i was just going to use a stock bug back seat somewhere in the middle of the car, will this be too wide then?

im shortening my rear quarter pannels so will have no back seats so it wont need to recline or anything.

TFTom
<span style=\'color:orange\'></div><table border=\'0\' align=\'center\' width=\'95%\' cellpadding=\'3\' cellspacing=\'1\'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id=\'QUOTE\'>I'll kill you you sick english FREAK!</td></tr></table><div class=\'signature\'> alltypesvw</span>
Old November 16th, 2004, 10:59 AM   #8
Nick
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Griznant@Nov 16 2004, 09:05 AM
I really wanted to do a bench seat in mine, but now that I actually have the roof on, and the floor channeled, I've discovered that this is no longer possible. Basically, I'll end up sitting on the floor, and the tunnel will be damned near high enough to be a center console! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink.gif[/img]

Ya, bench seats were in my plans until I channelled the body. Would look stupid having the tunnel 2 feet above the mddle of the benchseat.

Old November 16th, 2004, 01:47 PM   #9
cdubvdub
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Top_Fuel_Thomas@Nov 16 2004, 07:44 AM
i was just going to use a stock bug back seat somewhere in the middle of the car, will this be too wide then?

im shortening my rear quarter pannels so will have no back seats so it wont need to recline or anything.

TFTom
yah i tried that like a week ago. I'm sure you could modify it to fit but it is too wide stock.
Old November 16th, 2004, 02:15 PM   #10
dayzwalker
Forum Member

Well, all this talk about bench seats has had me thinking. I didn't really know how the frame of a stock vw back seat was put together much before today. I had the one that I pulled out of my chop top, and I just shoved it in the back shed under some boxes. Reading this thread got me thinking about converting it into a front bench seat...I knew it could be done. So I decided since I wasn't doing anything today before work, I'd start buidling one.

I took a bunch of measurments and the stock bench is definately too wide to fit in the front without cutting a good sized section out of the middle of it. The stock bench is 51" wide and the longest you can make it, with the rails sitting on the heater channels is 46". I ended up cutting out a 7" section of the middle of the bench, so now its 44" long. Its sits perfectly just inside the heater channels. You also have to notch the springs to get them to fit around the tunnel.

I haven't gotten to welding any of it together...mainly cause I don't have one. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dry.gif[/img] ...but also cause there needs to be some boxed reinforcemts drawn up for where the bench rolls around the tunnel. Plus, what the heck am I gonna do with my e-brake. What did the rest of you guys do??? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Idunno.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/confused.gif[/img]

This is just the seat bottom so far...I haven't even started to rip apart the seat backing yet. It looks like it can be cut down just the same though. I would also like to keep the tilt back feature. I was thinking of making a bracket coming off the b-pillar.

...back to the garage [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]

Well, here's what I got so far...it's a start. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]

BUILDING A BENCH SEAT

A Fetivus for the Rest-iv-us

Old November 16th, 2004, 02:49 PM   #11
hotrodheb

Justin, Cliff and Steve have both relocated their ebrakes to the side of the tunnel next to the shifter. You know where you can get that frame welded up...

"READ more... post LESS." - Steve

"Girls who weld kick ass!" - Notched

"Grumpy, the new master of Anti-Donk." - TurboPunk

Old November 16th, 2004, 02:57 PM   #12
JBUG
Forum Member

Well If anyone remembers juschopits bug we just used a middle seat out of a baywindow bus it fits perfect we even welded on the sliders.
Old November 16th, 2004, 02:59 PM   #13
hotrodheb

Quote:
Originally posted by JBUG@Nov 16 2004, 03:57 PM
Well If anyone remembers juschopits bug we just used a middle seat out of a baywindow bus it fits perfect we even welded on the sliders.
Did you guys relocate the ebrake or just eliminate it?

Old November 16th, 2004, 04:10 PM   #14
crack monkey
Capt A's super package

Quote:
Originally posted by JBUG@Nov 16 2004, 07:57 PM
hows he doing anyway?
So don't tell me that I wouldn't drive to VT to pick up a rusted piece of shit.~scott76
Quote:
If a dictionary could take a shit...
it would look like that sentence.~steve
Random stuff I am looking for: Dont think there is anything at the moment
www.solar4soldiers.org (I am starting a non-profit to put solar panels on to disabled veterans homes. PM me for more details)
Old November 17th, 2004, 06:37 AM   #15
alltypesvw
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hotrodheb+Nov 16 2004, 06:59 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hotrodheb @ Nov 16 2004, 06:59 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-JBUG@Nov 16 2004, 03:57 PM
Did you guys relocate the ebrake or just eliminate it?
[/b][/quote]

I think they just went ahead and mounted it on the dash [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old November 17th, 2004, 09:54 AM   #16
Top_Fuel_Thomas
Forum Member

i was going to use a mechanical line lock, search for line locks i already posted details of it. That way not only do you get a cool seat, you can stop your car on hills and not get leg-ache and also you can do burnouts!

Thanks for the pics dayz, be our guineepig for us!

TFTom
<span style=\'color:orange\'></div><table border=\'0\' align=\'center\' width=\'95%\' cellpadding=\'3\' cellspacing=\'1\'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id=\'QUOTE\'>I'll kill you you sick english FREAK!</td></tr></table><div class=\'signature\'> alltypesvw</span>
Old November 17th, 2004, 11:07 AM   #17
dayzwalker
Forum Member

I cut up and fit the passenger side seat as well yesterday afternoon. Here is the whole seat bottom just suitting in there for a test fit. Looks like its gonna fit pretty well...maybe might even keep the ebrake in its stock location. I am thinking of just building the seat around it and cutting a little notch in it for the handle to lay down into. Today I'ma go cut up the seat back, I'll post pics as soon as I can. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Old November 17th, 2004, 02:10 PM   #18
Nick
Forum Member

Hey Dayz, whenever you finish your seat I'd be willing to put that up in my How To article section on my site if you're willing [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Old November 17th, 2004, 07:05 PM   #19
dayzwalker
Forum Member

That'd be great Nick! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img] When I'm all done I'll put together an easy to read step by step of how everything was done.

Today I did a little more work on the seat bottom figuring out how I am going to be able to keep the ebrake in its stock location. I dunno, but when I looked at the bench sitting where it was and picturing a small notch in it for the ebrake to come though with a beauty boot slipped over it, I really liked how I saw it in my head. I cut out some cardboard templates for the sheetmetal to fit around the ebrake. They will be welded straight onto the ends of the springs themselves. This will give a nice flat surface for the upholstery guy to mount that padding and fabric to. I'll take some pics tomorrow when I work on the seat back. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Old November 18th, 2004, 09:18 AM   #20
hotrodheb

Quote:
Originally posted by dayzwalker@Nov 17 2004, 12:07 PM
I cut up and fit the passenger side seat as well yesterday afternoon. Here is the whole seat bottom just suitting in there for a test fit. Looks like its gonna fit pretty well...maybe might even keep the ebrake in its stock location. I am thinking of just building the seat around it and cutting a little notch in it for the handle to lay down into. Today I'ma go cut up the seat back, I'll post pics as soon as I can. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Justin, is it just me, or does the seat angle down towards the front? If so, are you planning on having the front just built up with foam?

Oh and we need to get together and do up a long shifter for your car!

Old November 18th, 2004, 05:35 PM   #21
railroad_foreman69
Forum Member

gonna use a dodge caravan seat (the narrowest one ) already has attached seatbelts and the brackets will be easy to adapt...... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Dancing.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Dancing.gif[/img]
Old November 19th, 2004, 10:27 AM   #22
60ragtop
Forum Member

I used a rear seat from an old CJ5 Jeep. Had to widen it about 12" to fit the bug
Scott
Old November 19th, 2004, 03:41 PM   #23
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

My model A truck I had when I was a teenager had a school bus seat in it [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]

Quote:
No pics, but oh well, if you really, really need to see metal removed, turn off your computer and work on your car... ~ Ray-Dean
Closed Thread