Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > The Tech Bin

The Tech Bin An ARCHIVE of helpful and informative tech posts...

User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 17,618
Threads: 32,327
Total Online: 478

Newest Member: IDA

Latest Threads
- by Bugula

Closed Thread

Old June 15th, 2005, 05:37 PM   #1
McKustoms
Forum Member

Did they make wheel adapters 5 on 5 1/2? Vw bug 5 lug to ford 5 1/2 bolt pattern?
Thanks!
Old June 15th, 2005, 05:47 PM   #2
Hapster
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

no.

ask steve

You gotta love v-rodders. 40*, poor brakes, 1/4 suspension working, 3+ body colors...but I drove it dammit!

I totally feel at home here.

project pics
http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...ster/?newest=1
Old June 15th, 2005, 05:49 PM   #3
Nick
Forum Member

check the lazy thread, some info there. but as said, nothing made mass produced. You'll need to find someone to make one out of billet or something. More info on that thread

Old June 15th, 2005, 07:23 PM   #4
walt
Forum Member

You can have a set of 4 for about $700 . I just worked up a quote so I know. If we could get about 20 sets ordered they would probably go down to about $400 per set.

I'm bilingual.......I talk to men and women

My Volks-Rod
Rat Patrol Web Page
Rat Patrol photos
Rat Patrol Car Build Thread
Rat Patrol Timeline
Rat Patrol Videos
(RIGHT click and choose SAVE TARGET AS and download to your PC)
Movie1
Movie2
Old June 15th, 2005, 07:41 PM   #5
Steve
Administradora El Polacko

Member Photo Albums

And then after you're done trying to find those, fail, and try to get blank drums drilled for em...

You'll also find that you can't find anyone to drill the FRONTS due to the webbing. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/yelling.gif[/img]

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img]
Old June 15th, 2005, 08:52 PM   #6
McKustoms
Forum Member

Well that sucks! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cry.gif[/img] I just bought 4 oldscool smoothie rims with wide white wall tires. The guy said he could get the adapters to fit for 120.00. I think he don't know what he's talking about. And just wanted to sell me some rims and tires. We'll see what he comes up with.
Old June 15th, 2005, 09:27 PM   #7
So-cal Tex
Forum Member

I got the rears drilled for 5-5.5 and the machine shop charged $40 for both and thats in Claifornia where every is twice what most people pay.

I would bring the machine shop one of those plastic lug nut rings( the one for checking the lug pattern of wheels) and show them where to drill. Sometimes people make alot of excuse for a job they percieve to be difficult??
Old June 15th, 2005, 10:03 PM   #8
ROGER LAWLESS
Forum Member

I was quoted $125 for each one in San Jose, Ca. I thought that was a rip off. Now that sounds cheap compared to the $700 a set. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink.gif[/img]

I like the spacers because it will give you a wider stance with all early 16 & 17" Ford wheels while using early VW brake drums, disc's. If you get a flat, or whatever, you can still throw a stock VW rim on and keep going.

Where can you get that 5x5.5 plastic thing you were talking about? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/confused.gif[/img]

I have a set of five early Ford wires, 17", and have just sandblasted them so I can get them powdercoated. My buddy races sprint cars and one of his best friends has a big machine shop down in Paso Robles, Ca. and he thinks the machinist can make them, adaptors, quite esily. Cost????? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Idunno.gif[/img]

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/stoned.gif[/img]
Old June 16th, 2005, 03:15 AM   #9
Steve

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally posted by So-cal Tex@Jun 15 2005, 10:27 PM
I got the rears drilled for 5-5.5 and the machine shop charged $40 for both and thats in Claifornia where every is twice what most people pay.

I would bring the machine shop one of those plastic lug nut rings( the one for checking the lug pattern of wheels) and show them where to drill. Sometimes people make alot of excuse for a job they percieve to be difficult??
<div align="right">Quoted post</div>

You musta missed the "fronts" part. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img]

I've had no problem finding folks to do the rears... but the fronts are a different story. Even SoCal imports (who sells the blank drums and also re-drills them for customers) says they won't touch em.

You luck may vary. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Idunno.gif[/img]
Old June 16th, 2005, 05:54 AM   #10
PAPA_SMURF
Forum Member

heres the quick fix to that problem. Run a ford axle in front. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img] I should be picking mine up friday night.

66 schwinn, 04 Jetta
https://www.facebook.com/joe.lynch.739
vwclubofhawaii.ning.com
Old June 16th, 2005, 12:37 PM   #11
Hapster
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve+Jun 16 2005, 07:15 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Steve @ Jun 16 2005, 07:15 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-So-cal Tex@Jun 15 2005, 10:27 PM

You musta missed the "fronts" part. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img]

I've had no problem finding folks to do the rears... but the fronts are a different story. Even SoCal imports (who sells the blank drums and also re-drills them for customers) says they won't touch em.

You luck may vary. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Idunno.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

Steve-
I talked to Josh (I think he is the machinist- at least he knew what he was talking about) at So Cal imports and he quoted me a price for the fronts with a 5X5.5 and was told that there is no problem with that size pattern. 29.95 each for the blanks 60 to drill the pair 31.90 for the studs and 20 to press them in. Total of just under 200, I am just waiting for the money to order them.

You gotta love v-rodders. 40*, poor brakes, 1/4 suspension working, 3+ body colors...but I drove it dammit!

project pics
Old June 16th, 2005, 12:41 PM   #12
dayzwalker
Forum Member

it really does matter who you talk to over there...most of the hacks on the phone are just paper pushers. Demand that you talk to the resident machinist...they'll help you out Steve. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]

PS: I never could find my receipt for my wheel adapters, so I can't tell you who was able to custom make any bolt pattern under the sun....sorry [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img]

A Fetivus for the Rest-iv-us

Old June 16th, 2005, 12:56 PM   #13
Hapster
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally posted by dayzwalker@Jun 16 2005, 04:41 PM
it really does matter who you talk to over there...most of the hacks on the phone are just paper pushers. Demand that you talk to the resident machinist...they'll help you out Steve. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]

PS: I never could find my receipt for my wheel adapters, so I can't tell you who was able to custom make any bolt pattern under the sun....sorry [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img]
That's why I got his name! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Dancing.gif[/img] I once was quoted about 100 more by one of the girls who was on the counter [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/huh.gif[/img]

project pics
Old June 16th, 2005, 01:04 PM   #14
So-cal Tex
Forum Member

The plastic lug pattern checker I have came from the Lug nut Kingz in LA. I think they have a website, if not they are at all the big swaps selling adapters, spacers and lug nuts.

I drilled the rears on my car and I am running the model A front axle so fronts were not an issue. When I had the machine shop drill the rear I had them install long studs 2 inch so I can use wheel spacers to push the wheel out.

I bet if you took the front drums to machine shop with the early ford pattern schetched out on the drum ( thats what I did) they would know how to do it. Maybe they turn some of the webing down before drilling???

A machine can do anything if really wanted too
Old June 16th, 2005, 01:50 PM   #15
walt
Forum Member

One of the problem is that there is not enough thickness to the drum where the studs go to press in a stud and if you did get the stud in it could break out the drum. The only strength in the drum is at the reinforcing web but the way it is cast you are not able to take advantage of that. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Idunno.gif[/img] But of coarse you have to realize that I'm kind of go overboard sometimes. I hate when a wheel falls off on the freeway. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img]

I'm bilingual.......I talk to men and women

My Volks-Rod
Rat Patrol Web Page
Rat Patrol photos
Rat Patrol Car Build Thread
Rat Patrol Timeline
Rat Patrol Videos
(RIGHT click and choose SAVE TARGET AS and download to your PC)
Movie1
Movie2
Old June 16th, 2005, 04:28 PM   #16
Steve

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally posted by Hapster@Jun 16 2005, 01:37 PM
Steve-
I talked to Josh (I think he is the machinist- at least he knew what he was talking about) at So Cal imports and he quoted me a price for the fronts with a 5X5.5 and was told that there is no problem with that size pattern. 29.95 each for the blanks 60 to drill the pair 31.90 for the studs and 20 to press them in. Total of just under 200, I am just waiting for the money to order them.

I shoulda clarified a bit...
There wasn't any problem with a balljoint front end... only with the linkpin type (which is what I have). I got another lead today (adapters) that I'm checking on... if it pans out I'll pass on the info. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old June 16th, 2005, 05:17 PM   #17
Hapster
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

There wasn't any problem with a balljoint front end... only with the linkpin type (which is what I have).

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/mad.gif[/img] Sh*t [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/mad.gif[/img]

project pics
Old June 16th, 2005, 05:32 PM   #18
hotrodheb

Quote:
Originally posted by Hapster@Jun 16 2005, 06:17 PM
There wasn't any problem with a balljoint front end... only with the linkpin type (which is what I have).

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/mad.gif[/img] Sh*t [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/mad.gif[/img]
Umm Hapster, if that is your project in your avatar, you have a balljoint front end! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]

If not....Nevermind! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img]

"READ more... post LESS." - Steve

"Girls who weld kick ass!" - Notched

"Grumpy, the new master of Anti-Donk." - TurboPunk

Old June 16th, 2005, 07:47 PM   #19
Hapster
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally posted by hotrodheb+Jun 16 2005, 09:32 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hotrodheb @ Jun 16 2005, 09:32 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Hapster@Jun 16 2005, 06:17 PM

Umm Hapster, if that is your project in your avatar, you have a balljoint front end! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]

[/b][/quote]

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Idunno.gif[/img] I was feeling Steve's pain! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img]

project pics
Old June 16th, 2005, 07:51 PM   #20
Steve

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally posted by Hapster+Jun 16 2005, 08:47 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hapster @ Jun 16 2005, 08:47 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Quote:
Originally posted by hotrodheb@Jun 16 2005, 09:32 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Hapster
Quote:
@Jun 16 2005, 06:17 PM

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Idunno.gif[/img] I was feeling Steve's pain! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

Oh you have no idea... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img]

Lesson #239:
Figure this stuff out before you buy the wheels. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img]

The last lead sounds promising... it ain't dead yet! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old June 16th, 2005, 07:57 PM   #21
Hapster
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I was lucky- good luck on your lead. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]

one last idea. If you took the cheapest wide five disc set (not cheap) and had a machinist cut the tabs off and then tapped it for 1/2 X 20 lug bolts in the 5 X 5 1/2 pattern then you could use the same front end you have. I imagine it would be a nice looking front end. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

Then again the ford front end starts to look better and better!

project pics
Old June 16th, 2005, 10:35 PM   #22
ROGER LAWLESS
Forum Member

Hey Daze, how about posting some pics of your adaptors so we will have an idea of how they should look. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool.gif[/img] PUL LEASSSE!!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/licklips.gif[/img]

Old June 16th, 2005, 10:50 PM   #23
hotrodheb

Quote:
Originally posted by ROGER LAWLESS@Jun 16 2005, 11:35 PM
Hey Daze, how about posting some pics of your adaptors so we will have an idea of how they should look. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool.gif[/img] PUL LEASSSE!!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/licklips.gif[/img]

I pulled these out of Justin's gallery...

Adaptors

Rear drums

"READ more... post LESS." - Steve

"Girls who weld kick ass!" - Notched

"Grumpy, the new master of Anti-Donk." - TurboPunk

Old June 21st, 2005, 05:33 AM   #24
grumpy
Mr. Asshole Moderator

Maybe this have been overlooked or just a bad idea. Why can't any ol adapter be purchased, say for a small ford or chevy patern, then cut off the studs. Then redrill for any pattern?

Input?

side note - I found a pair of slotted chevy car rims for the front, adapters and will have the rears redrilled for the big ford pattern. - I hope it all works out.
Old June 21st, 2005, 05:47 AM   #25
McKustoms
Forum Member

So cal vw's said they can drill me a set of disc brakes for the front and drums for the rear in the 5 1/2 inch bolt pattern. Kind of spendy but I was going to convert the front to disc brakes and dropped spindels anyway.
Closed Thread