- by cretin
- by yimbo

Old November 2nd, 2017, 08:15 PM   #426
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums
Default Re: I aquired another VW

I have you to thank for going about plating them
Thanks Scott if you wouldn't have mentioned it I would never have Google it, after about 5 minutes of reading I knew it was something I had to try, next I'm gonna try to copper plate something, then I'll move on up from there, money is the only thing holding me back from other things, but I'll get there eventually, the next thing I wanna try is anodizing aluminum, I haven't read anything about it yet but I know it can be done, again I'll see what I can come up with to save money
I just about have a fully equipped metal working shop, machining, welding, foundry, forge, and electroplating, now I need to go out and find some work because work sure isn't finding me, maybe that will help solve my money situation, altho most of the money in the beginning goes back into the shop for cutting tools and other perishable tooling

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
metalmaster1766 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2017, 08:29 PM   #427
JiI
Forum Member

Location: Mokena, IL Yep, that's me falling down a sand dune in Michigan...
Member Photo Albums

Now make gold out of lead!!!!!
Jeff
JiI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2017, 04:44 AM   #428
SCOTTRODS
Site Supporter

Ron, when you start doing aluminum stuff... you might want to try alodine or Alodizing... Turns Aluminum a nice gold color and is pretty good conversion coating... basically fast and easy and pretty easy to get a hold of the stuff too. Usually sold in a . powder or concentrate form and takes a minute or so of soak time to really put a nice protective coating on.Alodine options

I like the darker stuff for a richer look when using it. I have a piece in my garage that I Alodized almost 3o years ago and looks like it did when I performed the conversion. Was a Project in A&P school that allowed use of about 16 different processes including hand machining a block and drilling and tapping and using helicoil inserts and a couple of other fasteners and repairs.

Last edited by SCOTTRODS; November 3rd, 2017 at 04:47 AM.
SCOTTRODS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2017, 09:07 PM   #429
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Hey Ron,
I'm sure you already know this but I had to throw it out there. Make sure your area is crazy well ventilated! Don't breathe any of that stuff in.
Jeff
P.S. With this lovely cooler weather coming in, how have you been feeling? My wife and I are pretty achy!
Old November 3rd, 2017, 10:47 PM   #430
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

I'll hafta look into that alodizing, sounds like it's pretty easy compared to anodizing, thanks for the link

Jeff, my garage is well ventalated, I almost always leave the 16' by 8' garage door open when doing stuff that create dangerous vapors I open the entry door which is near the back, air goes right thru, I only close it up when it's extremely cold, like below 30 dgrees, I won't do things like that when it's that cold
As far as this weather goes, I've been hurting bad, specially the past 2 weeks because I have been keeping busy, I also started cutting the dosage level of the pain pills in half over the last 6 weeks, I certainly feel it on the days when I'm out cranking handles around on machines, but then again I was only going out and working in the garage 2 days a week most of the summer, 4 and 5 days I'm pushing myself, I need to work out the muscles I haven't been using, I'm hoping if I keep it up and work thru it eventually they will strengthen up like I was use to last year, I slowed down and didn't do much for a long time, I'm calling it "work hardening"
This time of year always sucks tho, cold mornings and semi warm days, beginning of this week it was 40 degrees and no sun, yesterday it was sunny and 67 degrees, today 60 and no sun, I was cold all day, Saturday and Sunday in the 70's they say, plus we set the clocks back this week, I'd rather set them up so it's light out later, I don't like darkness at 6 pm, but hey, what can I do about it, not a dang thing

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old November 8th, 2017, 04:27 AM   #431
SCOTTRODS
Site Supporter

Ron... in all the excitement I forgot to tell you about a Website called Caswell Plating. Here's a link to their forums. VERY good forums for all this plating stuff. Can Link to their main page from the forums to look at purchasing stuff or just to price stuff out.

Here Go

Caswell forums
Old November 9th, 2017, 10:52 AM   #432
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Thank ya, I spent about 20 minutes Monday looking for a place like this, they have it all, the prices are a bit out of my budget, but that just gives me something to save for, just like everything else, I have one hell of a wishlist,
I wanna try to copper plate a few things to see how it turns out, I'm having a hard time getting my hands on sulfuric acid, I tried all the auto parts stores around here for battery acid and wouldn't ya know it, they're all out, so I asked them to order some, they're gonna call me when it comes in, I want to first make some copper sulfate, I should a looked for that at Caswell
I need to clear a spot off on my workbench to set my chemical resistant table top on, a friend was gonna throw it out till I said I'd take it, it's been in a corner collecting dust, now I can put it to use

I'm headed outside now to put those camber adjusters on while the sun is out, I wish I would have been able to start earlier, I don't care for this time of year, it gets dark to early, I should just stick to the same schedule as summer, but that screws up doctors appointments, I'd be early and hafta wait even longer, yesterday I had a 3:30 appointment and walked out the door at 5:40 after seeing the doc for 20 minutes

Thanks again

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old November 9th, 2017, 03:43 PM   #433
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Goggles, rubber gloves and a face shield would be a good idea Ron. That acid is BRUTAL!!!!!!!
Jeff
Old November 9th, 2017, 07:18 PM   #434
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

I have a box of nitrile gloves and goggles, I need to get a new piece of clear plastic for my face shield, I can't see threw it anymore from using it when grinding

The one thing I do need to get is a glass measuring bowl, I don't wanna take the one from the kitchen, I'll need to invest in a few things except mason jars, I have a bunch of those

I was able to get one camber adjuster on, I couldn't get the one side off, I was afraid I'd ruin the ball joint if I kept beating it, the other side popped right off, I know what I'll be doing in the morning, I'm gonna try my 3 arm gear puller and see if that does it

Something else, my front end is stiff, I have coil overs shocks and just the 4 wide torsion leaves, if I do away with them and run a rod threw the H beam what kind of material should I use, I don't think a plain piece of 1/2" threaded rod would do, it might work temporarily to see if I get a smoother ridde, then get something stronger if I like it, I guess I'll see what my friend has in his steel rack and go from there, chase a few threads on each end and go from there

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old November 10th, 2017, 04:48 AM   #435
SCOTTRODS
Site Supporter

Ron... Copper Sulfate is at the Home and Garden Store under "Root Kill" in the plumbing section... This is the crystals... you just dissolve them in water and dip in some steel for a few minutes and Viola! Copper colored Steel. No electrolysis needed even.

Root Kill

It really does what I said too... Just make some light blue water and dip or even brush it on... CHEAP solution to making something look like copper. Spoiler though... It won't work on Aluminum or Chrome products, just raw steel.
Old November 10th, 2017, 09:40 AM   #436
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Scott, I'm just gonna start asking you all my plating questions, I'll go and get some root kill and check it out, sure sounds easy enough, thanks again

Another thing where copper sulfate is used is in liquid plumber drain cleaner, about 17 years ago our oldest son started smoking, his mom asked what was taking so long in the bath room, we'll when he finally came out his one hand was blue from those toilet bisquits you drop in the tank to keep them clean, he didnít have any pockets to put his pack of cigarettes in so he tried to flush them and it clogged up the toilet, I bought a bottle of that drain cleaner and poured it in, it didn't work but I noticed the water got super hot, I figures that stuff caused a chemical reaction so it warmed the pipes up, they expand and loosens everything up and down it goes, we'll that day I had to take the toilet off only to find a pack of cigarettes with toilet paper wrapped around them, but since then I have never bought any of that drain cleaner, I just use a bucket of hot water and keep pouring it down which ever drain is clogged, occasionally I'll boil water and do the same, after 3 or 4 three gallon buckets everything goes right down

I didn't even think of the root killer stuff, I suppose I didn't read enough, that's how I find out all the DIY and backyard ways to use household stuff for doing things, like deggasing molten aluminum before pouring it into a mold, I have a piece of rear with a short section of 1/2 pipe welded to the end with several holes drilled thru it, I wrap pool shock granules in a piece of aluminum foil and push it to the bottom of my crucible just before I take it out to pour, I was amazed the first time I did it, I was getting parts with holes in it like a sponge, I noticed it after machining a part and it had tiny holes thru out the part, so I started using the pool shock stuff or the granular chlorine
Wish I had taken a chemistry class in high school now

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old November 10th, 2017, 06:10 PM   #437
SCOTTRODS
Site Supporter

Ron, That's probably about all I know about the stuff really... so don't ask me specifically... I may have run across a thing or two, but certainly don't have all the plating answers. I don't know if copper sulfate is what makes copper plating... just that root kill is the crystal form of it, and it is pretty easy to obtain... no special licenses or anything.

Now... why I know anything bout Copper sulfate:

I tried to be a good Aircraft Mechanic a few years ago. Loved it, but the people I worked for screwed the pooch and hired an asshat that liked to get rid of talent because he had issues with their personalities not being subservient to his... Fuck HIM.... so I got let go with a bullshit letter saying they had run out of work for me and that they "laid me off"... so now I work on shitty machines that are nasty but kinda cool... hard to explain anything beyond that... but...

While I was working on Landing gear, we had to verify chrome plating was complete and had no gapes or damage through the plating on Hydraulic cylinders and Axles and pins that were thick chrome plating and had tolerances that had to be met as well. We were required to brush on Copper Sulfate liquid (we made from blue crystals in a bigger canister) with an acid brush... if any copper color turned up, the plating had been compromised and the chrome plating had to be ground off and replaced or removed then the base metal had to be verified within plate-able tolerance then re-plated... long story short... I only know because of an experience I had in Landing gear overhauling... which I loved dearly. We did a lot of things that were neat and unusual in that gig. Lot of technical knowledge had to be obtained and retained to do that kind of work. and I was just a newb at it.

The other part about the Copper sulfate, that I actually knew as well, was "what it was called" when I started having Tree roots growing in the sewer drains at a house I rented... We found out what it was and used it to prevent the roots from growing in a bunch of the old OrangeBerg Tar and paper pipes used in the 50's and 60's... usually the trees win anyway, but you can get by for a while if you're diligent. I bought the root kill stuff in 5 lb drums when I was renting, and used it monthly to ward off the growth... It was even cheaper purchased that way, but it's not bad even in smaller jars like Home depot sells.
Old November 11th, 2017, 08:52 AM   #438
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Scott I didn't really mean that literally, I just said it because you did send me a couple links where I could get the answers I needed, I've run across certain things where I just know enough about something but not everything, so don't worry, as far as the copper sulfate goes, you need that to plate parts, when I did the zinc plating I put the pieces of zinc in my electrolyte and let it sit overnight before putting my parts in and turned on the power, when I dropped the zinc in it started bubbling immediately, the next morning the electrolyte was cloudy, once I turned the power on it started bubbling more, I guess it was more of a fizzing than bubbling, but it still amazed me that it turned out like it did

I put the second camber adjuster on yesterday, I used the press I built to get the old one off, it came off with some force, the first one popped off using one of those tie rod forks, I smacked it twice with a hammer, after hitting the other side a dozen times I stopped, I was afraid I'd ruin the ball joint so I waited and used the press

So now I can align the front end, it's amazing how much camber adjustment there is, now I can put these 2 tires on to get me thru winter, by then I hope to buy new ones and have them align the front and rear

Now it's time to winterize it, by that I mean to cover all the air holes to keep the cold breezes from blowing in and freezing me whenever I go places, I remove it all once warm weather comes back around, it also helps to wear a few layers as well

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old November 11th, 2017, 11:25 AM   #439
cybernotchback
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTRODS View Post
.... We found out what it was and used it to prevent the roots from growing in a bunch of the old OrangeBerg Tar and paper pipes used in the 50's and 60's...
It's Orangeburg Pipe, (not trying to be an ass) as in Orangeburg, NY... It's the next town over from where I live, and the town where I work. The pipe dates back to the 1860's and was originally used as electrical conduit. Yup the roots seem to love that pipe. That and it has a tendency to flatten and go oval over time. That Orangeburg Pipe is everywhere... We found a sign for it on a trip we took way up in Maine... Oh and the land were the old Pipe factory once stood was listed as a toxic waste site. Thankfully it has been cleaned up.
cybernotchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2017, 07:35 AM   #440
SCOTTRODS
Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybernotchback View Post
It's Orangeburg Pipe, (not trying to be an ass) as in Orangeburg, NY... It's the next town over from where I live, and the town where I work. The pipe dates back to the 1860's and was originally used as electrical conduit. Yup the roots seem to love that pipe. That and it has a tendency to flatten and go oval over time. That Orangeburg Pipe is everywhere... We found a sign for it on a trip we took way up in Maine... Oh and the land were the old Pipe factory once stood was listed as a toxic waste site. Thankfully it has been cleaned up.
I knew when I posted it could be wrong... Thanks for the Correction. I was being lazy and didn't look it up for correct name spelling. Interesting bit of Background too. We have it all over Dallas Texas Area for sure.
Old November 12th, 2017, 07:03 PM   #441
d3ghia
Rabble Rouser

Member Photo Albums

All this free knowledge - this is another reason I like it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkl Ian View Post
Don't be Fucking stupid.

The bolt is Fucked, it won't fix it's self,
the Bolt Fairy won't fix it, and you can't fix it.

I know there is a Full Moon, but quit Fucking around.
d3ghia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2017, 08:21 PM   #442
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

I wouldn't know what to do without the knowledge I have learned here, I guess I would be reading more

So for the past few days I have been drilling my front brake rotors so I can bolt on a set of wheels and tires to get me thru winter, I also picked up an almost new set of 185/60/14" tires for when winter is over, it's gonna lower the front of my Volksrod a little over 3"
I have a few pics but I'll wait until it's finished to show them

I did however plate something with copper a few days ago while I was machining something, it was a lucky quarter, the reason it's lucky is I let Trina use it about 6 months ago to scratch off a lottery ticket and it was a $25 winner

Here's the bucket of copper sulfate I mixed up to do it with, bought some root killer and mixed with tap water and white vinegar

Now I need to rig up a blasting cabinet so I can make sure the metal is clean enough for the plating to stick

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old December 4th, 2017, 09:08 PM   #443
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

As I mentioned last time I was here I was gonna drill my rotors to fit another set of wheels and tires on to get me thru winter, I didn't account for clearance on the back side of the wheel, the caliper was in the way by about 1/8" so I just plugged the holes

That took me a while, I was down for about 6 days with a nasty cold, it's the first cold I've had in 18 years, I was taking an antibiotic since January of 2001, back when I had the brain hemorrhage the transplant team questioned why I was still taking it because they stop giving it to transplant patients after 3 months, we'll they told me to stop taking then, we'll after 6 days of misery and the 2nd worst headache I have had (the 1st was the brain hemorrhage) I called my transplant doctor up and got put back on the pills the other doctors took me off of, after going almost 20 years without a cold you forget just how bad they are

So i plugged the holes i drilled and tapped in the one rotor with some round cast iron bar stock I have, I chased a thread on a piece about 9 inches long, cut it into 4 pieces 1-3/4" long and J-B welded them in, then cut them flush with the surface and went ahead and put the almost new set of tires on
I bought this disc brake kit back in 1996, the rotors looked glazed over so I checked the thickness to see if they could be faced off, they cleaned up on both sides at the smallest size, that should make stopping a lot better

https://vgy.me/M5DBNp.jpg

https://vgy.me/us6QHf.jpg

https://vgy.me/7gmz5k.jpg

https://vgy.me/1mO7gS.jpg

I'll hafta get a pic of the tires I picked up for $20 they have less than 1000 miles on them

Tomorrow I'm gonna check the alignment, then I hafta figure out why my tail lights quit working, until next time

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS