Newest Member: Tylerted

Latest Threads
- by DrHax
- by Bugula

Old February 2nd, 2012, 10:58 AM   #1
mikenite
Forum Member

Default super beetle to standard beam conversion

So your stuck with a super beetle or are finding one's for a great price and wanna build a volksrod, kit-car, baja...etc...

Well conviniantly there is now an option thanks to Doug at http://thevolksrodshop.com/ you can get the whole frame head adapter or if building a volksrod you can get an extension as well...and some other cool goodies

But now on to the swap!
Let me preface, this with my car is my daily driver when i do things i get them functioning and get back on the road and worry about the cosmetics later.

This is the location of my side cuts...but first I'm going to cut out the spare tire recess and remove all of the suspension and steering box....
Cutting out the tire well makes getting to things alot easier....maybe some extra work but makes other things alot easier further into the conversion.
Of course before you get to cutting, remove the tank and all suspension and the steering box (which is easy to get to with out the spare tire well) .

Once everything is cut and gone, you can look down through where the spare tire was and see every thing. Now measure from the brake master cylinder mounts forward to the front end 11 and 3/4 inches scribe a line and take a deep breath and cut through the frame head. After that yank forward and you'll now be looking at this .

Make sure you have the 4 bolts on either side of the firewall out and ready for the adapter.

Me personally, i assembled everything but the beam to the adapter and thin lifted it up (its not that heavy) and slid it over what was left of the frame head .

The little triangular frame head brace as i found would prolly be easier to instal after everything was buttoned down but i was this far and ran with it.

Once slid on, start the bolt on the underside of the adapter at the firewall, and slide the bolts for the old trailing arms through the spaces in the adapter and also start the bolts for the framehead brace.

Get them good and tight but not fully tightened so that if you have to shimmy anything around, you'll have a bit of motion.

Once sure you have it all in place, you will find two holes in the adapter base under the snout of the frame head, bust out a drill and drill into the snout and slide in the little steel spacers and then put the bolts through and crank them down...

Now grab yer beam and bolt it on it takes some rocking to get it in place.

Tighten down the bolts slap on the tires and lower the car...and grab yourself a nice adult beverage.....
mikenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 10:58 AM   #2
mikenite
Forum Member

Default Re: super beetle to standard beam conversion

Hopefully by know your looking at this.

Now go and do a final tightening on all the bolts on the adapter and get ready for the steering.....
The way mine is set up since i was still gonna use the stock tank (which will be removed later and a small fuel cell will be going in and the left over space will be a small trunk) so i had to cut a hole for the steering shafts since the will be raised up. You will also have to mount the take up higher, i believe i used a 3/4 spacer so the u-joints wont hit the tank.

I lengthened my steering by using a Titanium bolt i had that i turned down the ends then threaded and left a groove for the u-joint bolts. I then bored out the u-joints and taped them for the threads on the shaft.....screwing them in and getting the bolts to line up and the joint phasing right was a pain but....! Once tightened down, they are not gonna go anywhere. Having had a steering malfunction before causing me to have a bad accident, i really wanted this to be bullet proof, and something i wouldnt have to worry about...

One cool thing is the brake lines do not need to be lengthened, youll have to move mounting tabs but thats it... the supers brakes have that extra hardline after the rubber lines and go into the drums and those will go into the wheel cylinders on the beam. So if your lines are all good you can just use them and re route them and move some mounts around...

Also because of the fact i didnt cut back very far, on sharp turning, my wheels scrub on the insides but it was an easy fix! Grab a good heavy hammer and pound this area in.
Give it a nice contour and it will give you just enough clearance to take care of that problem.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 11:00 AM   #3
mikenite
Forum Member

so there ya have it you can now take a super and have this:

instead of this:

sorry for my terrible grammer and punctuation if its hard to read ill have somebody go through and fix it up and re post it! and ill be adding to this as i clean up the fender wells and such as well

big thanks to doug and all his help and guidence and putting up with my rambling through out this process and thanks to everybody else here for giving such awesome insperation!!!
Old February 2nd, 2012, 11:38 AM   #4
carcentric
Grateful Member #484

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenite View Post
It's been several years since I cut a Super apart, but don't those three bolts hold on the steering box on the driver's side and the steering idler (or some such) on the passenger side? If I'm right, did you leave the steering idler in place, then?
Old February 2nd, 2012, 11:39 AM   #5
mikenite
Forum Member

yeahhhhhhh i "accidently" cut through the arm on it when cutting that side so i havent unbolted it yet
Old February 2nd, 2012, 11:42 AM   #6
mikenite
Forum Member

and by accidently i mean i couldnt get the darn bolts loose so i just through caution to the wind and cut through it in a act of desperation
Old February 2nd, 2012, 12:58 PM   #7
sandfreaks
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Nice clean write up.
I think supers are going to be more and more popular
in the near future.
sandfreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 01:17 PM   #8
mikenite
Forum Member

as do i i mean hell if not for us this will be very usable to kit car dudes considering how cheap you can pick up super pans or for that matter whole running supers
Old February 2nd, 2012, 01:57 PM   #9
Unkl Ian
Trouble Maker and Bad Influence

Slick combination.

www.FlyingEyeballs.net

Unkl Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 02:17 PM   #10
mikenite
Forum Member

on what the steering?
Old February 2nd, 2012, 03:03 PM   #11
Daddy o's 67
Forum Member

Great right up. I enjoy reading the transfomation of your Super.

One thing you can do to help clean up the front end some more is installing a master cylinder reservior from a Volvo. It will plug right into your stock master cylinder.
Daddy o's 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 08:51 PM   #12
justsomeguy
Forum Member

Great write up, I am about to do this also on my 71. I've got the front end of the body cut back, and all the front suspension off. Just need to order the parts from Doug.
Do you have any clear pictures of dougs frame head piece on the Bug? Thanks
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 09:23 PM   #13
Dbug41
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328250150.874944.jpg
Here ya go

The VolksRod Shop
2050 wall Ave
Ogden UT 84401
Old February 3rd, 2012, 11:16 AM   #14
mikenite
Forum Member

just an update on how its holding up,

been driving daily and i drive pretty hard and today i put 60 round trip highway miles on it with out a single problem
Old February 6th, 2012, 11:26 AM   #15
mikenite
Forum Member

Posted: Today 1:23 pm Post subject:
well were moving into week two of hard daily driving as well as another 60 mile highway drive cruising along at 65/70

i dialed the alignment in a bit myself after the install but took it today and got it done at a shop drives and tracks as straight as an arrow...

got to work and then checked the bolts all bolts were good to go except the for at the firewall...they werent falling out loose by any means just needed a little bit of torquing down and then back on the road!!!

im gonna keep posting updates as to how its holding up and any bugs i see
Old February 6th, 2012, 11:49 AM   #16
Unkl Ian
Trouble Maker and Bad Influence

Quote:
got to work and then checked the bolts all bolts were good to go except the for at the firewall...they werent falling out loose by any means just needed a little bit of torquing down and then back on the road!!!
Nylock nuts, cheap investment.

Or blue Locktite.

www.FlyingEyeballs.net

Unkl Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2012, 11:53 AM   #17
mikenite
Forum Member

those ones are bolts that go up through the pan into the body...i threw some more red locktite on and im gonan check them again next week
Old February 8th, 2012, 08:29 AM   #18
rostigbug
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Somewhere a purist is having a FIT!
BTW great ideer the way you did the windshield!!
Old February 21st, 2012, 11:01 AM   #19
mikenite
Forum Member

another update guys,

today i did what i feel wuld be one of the hardest things stresswise to put this front end through

i decided to climb and then bomb down laurel hill canyon in los angeles...its a good 4 mile trip from my point A to point B
on quite possibly the worst paved messed up chuck of asphalt youll ever have the pleasure of driving on mind you giant pot holes,crackes and just missing chunks of what at one time was a road oh, yeah and its steep as hell and about as twisty as the nurburgring

i set out bright and early so i had has little traffic to deal with checked all my bolts said a few hail mary's and hit the ground running

i chugged up the monster as fast as a 1600dp can carry you taking turns bumps and obsticles like im driving a F1 car and made it to the other stopped at the studio city cafe (if in the area go for some amazing chili or breakfast food) got some grub and some coffee, got back to the lot scartched the bug behind the ears and told her good job (cars are shes and they love being scartched behind the ears this is fact)

pulled out the tool box checked my bolts not a single one had budged then checked my brakes becaue now comes the time when ill REALLY need them.

got back in let her warm up and hit the ground like i was driving a stolen porche.....make it to the light at the top of the canyon feeling like andretti and then blew down the canyon like no tomorrow driving as fast as i could and reallly laying down the punishment, at a few points im sure i had to be going about 55-60, and early enough in the morning so id be the only one on the road

i make to the end alive, smelling of hot brakes and rubber.. cruise on home and check all my bolts no change in torque no signs of any letting go....im pleased and i would fully trust this product with my life and it will gladly take anything you throw at it
Old February 21st, 2012, 02:42 PM   #20
carcentric
Grateful Member #484

Quote:
. . . i would fully trust this product with my life . . . .
I think you just DID that!

Old February 21st, 2012, 03:06 PM   #21
Double D
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

i chugged up the monster as fast as a 1600dp can carry you taking turns bumps and obsticles like im driving a F1 car

Maybe like an F-1 car being pulled by a couple of horses??

If it has tits or wheels you're gonna have problems....
Double D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2012, 03:38 PM   #22
mikenite
Forum Member

i think in my imagination i was pretending i was in a ferarri hhaha

but
either way i put that thing through hell today and luckily for me it held up just fine =]
Old February 21st, 2012, 05:43 PM   #23
Dbug41
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Wow, I am humbled, that's a hell of an endorsement Mike, Thanks.

The VolksRod Shop
2050 wall Ave
Ogden UT 84401
Old February 21st, 2012, 07:03 PM   #24
mikenite
Forum Member

any time doug! i drive hard and i knew this canyon would be the hardest roughest terrain this car would ever see
couple that with driving it as hard as i could i think its safe to say that this thing is bullet proof

now its got me thinking on baja that would be the only thing left to thrw at it

any takers ;]
Old February 22nd, 2012, 06:33 AM   #25
Cat Box
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Cool write up the man.

http://www.Rosecityvolksters.com
Cat Box is offline   Reply With Quote