Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > Members Intros and Project Updates!

Members Intros and Project Updates! New member introductions and project updates...
Your ongoing "journals"...

User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 17,735
Threads: 32,307
Total Online: 1058

Newest Member: Alexaeon

Latest Threads
- by Zee
- by horshak

Old July 1st, 2009, 07:00 PM   #126
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums
Default Re: bugdust

I got it outside for a better look.

I don't like it.

I did work on making the right side B-pillar match the left side and the first fit of the A & C-pillars.

Quote:
No pics, but oh well, if you really, really need to see metal removed, turn off your computer and work on your car... ~ Ray-Dean
bugdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2009, 09:25 PM   #127
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I've done a little more to the chop top since the last update. Check the pile of parts thread for more details.

I like how the front of the roof curves down more now.

I finally changed the generator on the 67 and tightened the right intake so it's a runner again. I washed it too sice it has been sitting for two months.

Quote:
No pics, but oh well, if you really, really need to see metal removed, turn off your computer and work on your car... ~ Ray-Dean
Old August 16th, 2009, 07:10 AM   #128
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

The speedo on the 67 rolled over right as I pulled into the driveway.

Quote:
Old August 28th, 2009, 11:22 PM   #129
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Just a few random pics of the 61...

Quote:
Old November 3rd, 2009, 08:28 PM   #130
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Update time:

the 67 - nothing new

the 62 ragtop - still listed on thesamba, nothing new done to it

the 61 volksrod - I have a 59 pan that will find it's way under it. The pan is solid and rust free. i bolted up the 8" extension to it and mocked up an old beam. It has a couple minor clearance issues for the tie-rod and the pitman arm. The tie-rod side just needs to be hit with a grinder to remove about 1/4" when the suspension is fully unloaded.

I really haven't wanted to work on the chop top lately. I will get back on it soon.

the 64 - I have taken parts of the body down to bare metal and shot a quick coat of grey primer on them. It's off the rotisserie so I can put a new roof on it before replacing the heater channels.

I also started cleaning up the backing plates so I can get the chassis rolling again.

Quote:
Old November 21st, 2009, 05:36 PM   #131
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I bought a 69 westy last weekend

I know everyone hates on bay windows but this is a cool bus.
I have already started ripping out the old carpet, stick-on "parquet" flooring, plywood, etc. I've pressure-washed the exterior and cleaned a lot of the interior. It has the original child's cot 9no poles0 and a mint mosquito net. I've got the front wheel freed up and the front brakes look like new and the bearings were packed with clean blue grease. I pulled the engine so I can check the clutch (why the PO parked it) and go ahead and take it down to the shortblock so I can clean and check everything before sealing it back up.

I'll get some pics of the rust/body issues soon.

Quote:
Old January 16th, 2010, 07:26 PM   #132
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

OK, updates:

67 bug - no change, something is killing the battery, need to sort it out soon and drive the damn thing so my wife will stop bitching about paying insurance on a car that never moves. I drove it (to the store) last weekend so I don't know what she's talking about.

64 bug - cut off the old roof and started fitting a donor roof off a 59 body, still need to trim it a bit and weld it on

62 ragtop - GONE!! See below.

61 choptop volksrod - on hold at least, may be abandoned, not sure yet

59 body - cut up for parts

69 westy - engine out and disassembled, have to buy a few things and get a head, more to come soon

65 13 window - traded the 62 ragtop for a bus. I may make it a camper or I might just leave it as a family hauler. I'll know within a week or so if I'm going to just get it on the road as a rat or if I'm going to go ahead and paint it right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13 window 001.JPG (151.5 KB, 20 views)

Quote:
Old January 20th, 2010, 07:16 PM   #133
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Unfortunately I haven't had much time to work on my "new" bus but I have done a little to it. The plan is to start at the front and do whatever needs done until I get to the back.

I blasted around the windshields and a good portion of the nose. I took the DA to the rest of the nose. I have a pinhole by the right windshield to weld up, three holes in the lower nose and a spot on the left A-pillar that had a little filler in it. It will take less than 1/8" of body putty to make the nose look good.

Home

Front

It looks like the bus (originally blue & white) was repainted once in a different blue, then yellow, then green. I haven't decided what color it will end up but it will not be the stock colors.

Quote:
Old February 5th, 2010, 01:33 PM   #134
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I took my bus to a friend's house and he did a few things to it.

He put the engine in it. I think it's a 1776 from what I was told but it has ported/polished heads, solid rockers, swivel feet adjusters, etc. Runs strong. The bus also got new rear wheel cylinders, a lot of extra wiring removed, the stock wiring hooked up right (both dome lights even work), speedo put in, new m/c reservoir, battery, custom merged header turned into bus exhaust.

Now, I have two weeks (one weekend) to do everything else to it so I can drive it to the Daytona WinterJam.

Quote:
Old July 21st, 2010, 08:28 PM   #135
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

It's been a long time since I updated this.

67 bug - Gone! Traded for a 67 westy

64 bug - Gone! Traded for a 67 kombi

61 choptop volksrod - Gone! Traded for some parts

59 body - cut up for parts

69 westy - Gone! Sold for $600

65 13 window - soon to be for sale

67 westy - my daily driver right now. My wife has my truck because she had a tire come apart and I haven't got new ones put on yet.

Quote:
Old August 25th, 2010, 06:56 PM   #136
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I really want to build my volksrod again. But, I just don't feel like taking on another project right now. As soon as I get Zim's rpu out of the garage my '67 westy is going in for some major metal work...nose, floors, doglegs, inner/ outer rockers, outriggers, jack points, etc.

Quote:
Old October 20th, 2010, 05:50 PM   #137
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

You know, I just can't be left alone. I do bad things when I'm left alone.

Here's a pic of the bus when the PO got it:

So, I figured the bus would look better in original paint (except the nose obviously). Well, it turns out it has been painted a few times...black, white, another white, some brown spots, primer, original pearl white. The bad part is that the og paint is gone in many areas. I've used about 6-7 cans of oven cleaner and a little bit of paint stripper. I've used a plastic bristled brush, a scotch-brite pad (brown one), a bondo spreader, a wide putty knife, rags, water, etc. of course, my pressure washer pull cord broke right when I needed it. Even the pop-top has 2-3 layers of paint on it.

One of my favorite PO "fixes" so far...bondo on top of 40 yr old rubber with silicone on top, then painted white. Nice.

Quote:
Old November 7th, 2010, 06:01 PM   #138
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

A few random pics. I haven't done any bodywork, just put a quick coat of rattle can paint on it so it doesn't rust while I save $$ to redo it.

Quote:
Old January 2nd, 2011, 09:24 PM   #139
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

No working on VWs for me for a little bit. Somehow I managed to tear the tendons in my left ankle and now I'm on crutches for the first time in my life.

Quote:
Old May 11th, 2011, 08:21 PM   #140
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Nothing to talk about...working on a 67 westy plus the other 67 westy that I drive semi-daily. I'm really itching for a <65 bug project but I have no time or money for the projects I have, much less another one (same as most other folks)

Quote:
Old October 15th, 2011, 07:35 PM   #141
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Been a while since I updated this thread. I onlu own two VWs right now, the same '67 westies I've owned for a year now. The primered one is all apart waiting on me to get to it.

The white bus has been sitting a little while. I pulled the safari windows out and redid them, fixed some rust and I'm touching up a few spots.

Quote:
Old May 25th, 2012, 06:11 PM   #142
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Been a while...

In a nutshell, I did a lot of work to the westy and then sold it to a guy in the UK.

I bought a vert to drive to shows while I work on the primered westy.

For the record, working on full-bodied bugs sucks...working on full-bodied bugs with dual carbs really sucks!

Quote:
Old January 21st, 2013, 09:48 AM   #143
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

The vert has been sold. I still have my westy. I have talked to a guy about buying a certain volksrod project. I'm going to try to get down there this weekend and pick it up if I decide to go that route. I'm not 100% sure I want to finish the build or not.

Quote:
Old March 20th, 2013, 08:52 PM   #144
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

The vert went to Norway. I picked up a 64 bug and bought the Zimrod. Updates as soon as I do something.

Quote:
Old March 29th, 2014, 09:29 PM   #145
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

The 64 bug sat behind my shop for a while then I sold it. I never touched the car.

I did some work on the Zimrod and then sold it.

See a pattern here?

My '67 bus is still taking up space in the shop. I do not plan on selling it...ever.

I'm headed south tomorrow to look at another bug. I need something to drive.

Quote:
Old October 12th, 2014, 09:32 AM   #146
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I bought a 67 bug and sold it. Seems to be a pattern. So, I bought a Jeep and have been playing in the mud. The bus is still sitting in the shop...untouched.

Quote:
Old June 21st, 2015, 01:16 PM   #147
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I have been working 3rd shift for the last 3 years. That comes to an end next week so I'm hoping too get back into some projects.

Quote:
Old September 13th, 2015, 03:09 PM   #148
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I am now working 1st shift again. I am currently working on numerous projects but none are volksrod related. When I changed to 1st shift, it was a promotion with a pay cut

Now, I'm considering leaving a company I have worked for for almost 18 years. Kind of scary and unsure what I'm doing but I will know soon.

Quote:
Old March 4th, 2016, 07:09 PM   #149
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I haven't checked in much lately. I left Caterpillar after almost 18 years. I now work more for less money...such is life.

I haven't done much with VWs in a long time...too many other projects. I still have the 67 westy...not touched in too long. I have a rusty 63 bug shell that I bought to start a volksrod...probably not in the cards right now. I just picked up yet another 67 bug...plan is to fix up a little and flip it.

I still have the Jeep, a few atv's and three Honda Odyssey FL350s. I've also been playing with a boat and a few firearms so not much time or money for VWs right now.

Quote:
Old August 25th, 2018, 02:16 PM   #150
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

For the first time in 17 years and the second time in 32 years I do not own a VW. I have sold off all my VWs, sold and given away all remaining parts. I have sold off all my atvs, my Jeep, my boat and sold my 32' travel trailer and bought a smaller one. I have a bunch of bikes and adult trikes to sell off before I move to Arkansas. I really miss coming on here every day and I kind of miss the VWs but not so much.

Quote: