- by 1slo3
- by Bugula

Old December 15th, 2020, 11:44 AM   #351
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums
Default Re: Effigy's history

I'm still alive! :P

Been a helluva a year right? But at least the time off of work (teleworking and whatnot..) has given me time to get off my ass about a couple of things.. the most recent of which is finally doing what I've been talking about for like 10 years.. got rid of my rear seat entirely and built a platform.

First things first, I made my front door panels FIVE years ago in Virginia, and then procrastinated about making the rear quarters.. So I finally got around to doing that!

Here's the fronts:

I only had one of the stock rears, so I used it as the stencil:

I forgot to take pics while making the first insert, but here it is mostly done.. I used rivnuts on the insert, so I could put small screws through the panel to hold it on..

Measuring out my fabric..

Marking lines about 1.5" apart from each other.

Sewing fucking 5 god damn million miles worth of straight(ish) lines on both panels..

Seriously it was boring and tedious...

used 3M spray adhesive to attach the fabric to 1/8" headliner foam prior to sewing, and then used more adhesive to attach those to the panels..

Lot of trimming and pie cutting to get around the corners and shit.. I could only find 7 of my clamps so I had to do a little bit at a time..

Remember those rivnuts I was talking about, here's the back side:

One finished panel

Passenger side installed:

Driver's side installed:

Now that I had the panels in, it was time to do the platform..

I don't have a table saw, or a band saw, so the cuts/measurements aren't perfect in anyway shape or form. I was using a handheld radial and a jig saw.. :/ but it functions, and i don't give a shit about looks so I'm good :P

Started by doing a quick and dirty rough drawing of what I hoped to accomplish.. got measurements using a tape measure, so there was a LOT of guesstimating..

First piece in was the "faceplate". also, the Optima red top I bought back in 2011 FINALLY stopped holding a charge (if i drove it less than once or twice a week, i'd have to trickle charge it back up or it couldn't start the car..) so I went and got a new Odyssey, from what I've seen, they are the new go to best AGM battery on the market.. Gonna connect that disconnect switch next time I feel like battling spiders and crawling under the car to run a new batter cable from the starter..

I was gonna screw that faceplate tot he pillars using little L brackets, but decided to make "wings" instead, they rest on the channel there.. still need to attach them to the channels, but it stays still on it's own pretty well..

Next was fitting the top board, there was a LOT of eyeballing and retrimming here.. I didn't want to take the time to measure everything absolutely correct, so I just drew out what I thought the curve would be, cut some, tried it, and did it again.. I did start with a cardboard stencil, but it only got me in the ballpark..

Then cutting and attaching hinges:

All in all, I gained a lot more vertical storage room, and maybe 3 or 4 inches from front to back.

Put the speakers back in, and used l brackets to hold the front box in position so none of em slide around. going to use a couple of "footman's" brackets and a web strap to hold my tool box on the driver's side, and mount my fire extinguisher on the passenger side, but for now, it's good!

"I never trust a fighting man who doesn't smoke or drink or at least cause a little trouble." -Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr.
===========
Feel free to stare and admire,
but kindly tell me if it's on fire!

1972 VolksRod "Effigy" Build Thread
1986 Honda Shadow VT1100 Work Thread
tattooed_pariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2020, 08:34 PM   #352
V8Transporter
Forum Member

Looking great! I love the pattern with the “5 million miles”of stitching. The red sections are a nice touch. Your hours upon hours of work have really paid off. A ‘boxed in section with a hinged lid is slick. What kind of covering do you plan on there? 👍👍
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2020, 04:36 AM   #353
Bugula
Forum Member

Looks great! But, you know what you can do with your nice weather, blue sky pics? Lol
Bugula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2020, 12:57 PM   #354
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Transporter View Post
Looking great! I love the pattern with the “5 million miles”of stitching. The red sections are a nice touch. Your hours upon hours of work have really paid off. A ‘boxed in section with a hinged lid is slick. What kind of covering do you plan on there? 👍👍
Thanks :) Not sure what I'm gonna cover the storage with.. for now it's just gonna be bare wood..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugula View Post
Looks great! But, you know what you can do with your nice weather, blue sky pics? Lol
thanks, haha, i actually kinda miss the snow already.. :P

"I never trust a fighting man who doesn't smoke or drink or at least cause a little trouble." -Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr.
===========

Old December 18th, 2020, 12:14 PM   #355
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Looks great

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattooed_pariah View Post

thanks, haha, i actually kinda miss the snow already.. :P
I could never miss snow, I prefer to see it on TV

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2020, 01:24 PM   #356
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmaster1766 View Post
Looks great

I could never miss snow, I prefer to see it on TV
yeah, we never got more than like 18 inches, so i never had to deal with anything too bad, but it kinda has it's charm..

===========

Old December 18th, 2020, 03:54 PM   #357
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Just got back from a welder.. the A-1 exhaust headers have a swivelling flange on the #1 cylinder to accommodate different engine widths.. seems like a great idea except it makes it so it's basically impossible to get a gasket to seat properly. I speculate that has been part of my tuning problems is that I'm sucking in fresh air from an exhaust leak and thereby not getting a good reading on my wideband..

Anyway, while he had it on his rack to fix that, he was looking around underneath... god only knows when it happened, but I've been driving around with my passenger rear trailing arm held on by the spring plate alone.. the god damn bolt that holds the front of the arm to the body is GONE..

Just ordered two new ones that come pre-drilled for safety wire, and two new bushings.. add that to the list of shit to do.. haha

===========

Old December 21st, 2020, 05:19 AM   #358
Bugula
Forum Member

Wow. That’s crazy!
Bugula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2020, 01:53 PM   #359
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

soo, i just fired up the bug for the first time since i got the exhaust fixed (well, i ran it long enough to go from the street to the driveway when I towed it home from the welder, but haven't started it since..)

yeah, i had a pretty bad exhaust leak on the 1/2 side caused by the swivel fitting i had the guy remove, and because the slip fit joint was too long so it wasn't snugging up properly on the head (the welder dude trimmed it for me to make it fit right..)

It runs totally different and sounds totally different now.. It runs different enough that now i'm confident my jetting is WAAAY off because I was jetting to fix a problem that shouldn't have been there, and now it's gone so nothing is right..

gonna need to tear into it and figure out what jets are in it and what i need to change to..

Gonna just throw money at a local shop to pull my rear trailing arms, install new bushings, and install the updated bolts with safety wire.. it's worth the hourly rate in my mind to make sure the brakes are pulled apart and put back together properly since from what i understand, in order to swap bushings, you basically have to disassemble the whole rear suspension.. and while they are there, they can install my 3/4" rear sway bar I bought like 9 months ago and have been procrastinating installing because I don't want to mess with the spring plates..

Only problem is they are booked solid, he told me to call back next month to try and schedule something..

===========

Old January 22nd, 2021, 02:00 PM   #360
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

yeah, had planned on having everything fixed by now...

Before I could schedule the bug, a check engine light popped on the wife's daily. It was just some part of the EGR system, totally covered by warranty, but while they were in there, they found that the crank pulley seal was starting to leak, the rubber coating on one of the pulleys was cracking and going to be a problem soon, and the serpentine belt probably had a little bit of time left in it, but it had to be removed to do the other shit, so might as well replace it now.. $800 later and as soon as we get it back, the radiator in my Durango popped.. >:(

Apparently, when you cram a 5.7l Hemi into a durango, you make it so that in order to replace the radiator, you have to remove the front bumper, grill, drain the AC system, disconnect those hoses, disconnect a bunch of other shit and THEN pull the radiator.. $1200 later and I got MY daily driver back...

Hopefully I'll be able to get the bug worked on soon.. I did try to put that diagonal arm bolt in myself, but in order to get the holes lined up, you have to loosen the spring plates, and I just don't trust myself to put them back exactly how they need to go, and since installing the sway bar involves completely disconnecting the spring plates, I'm just gonna let the shop do it all..

===========