Newest Member: Tylerted

Latest Threads
- by alykat
- by Bugula
- by Bugula

Old March 9th, 2014, 09:12 PM   #226
JiI
Forum Member

Location: Mokena, IL Yep, that's me falling down a sand dune in Michigan...
Member Photo Albums
Default Re: Things that make you say.... WTF?

Okay, what is it with people asking $12,000 for cars only worth one less zero? Everybody thinks they have struck platinum with their "rare" 73' super beetle that only needs a driver. (plus all new metal all the way around the bottom 6" of the car.) I've been seeing some ads lately and its kind of scary what people are asking!
Jeff
JiI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2014, 06:00 AM   #227
alykat
Site Supporter

I don't know Jeff, but I'm seeing a lot of that here in Colorado lately. Mostly on the front range (that would be Denver and the areas along the East side of the Continental divide) but bleeding over a bit to this area. A car that I would ask $2500 for after getting it all fixed up is advertised at"$12,000 firm " !! Assholes have spent to much time watching the Barrett Jackson auctions and Car Chasers on TV. I sold this one with new brakes, brake lines and fuel lines for $900 and felt like I might have asked to much.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blu vw 032213 003.jpg (88.4 KB, 5 views)
Old March 10th, 2014, 10:43 AM   #228
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Try this. Check out the engine. The chrome adds at least 50HP, don't you think?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifie...php?id=1610089
Jeff
Old March 10th, 2014, 10:59 AM   #229
alykat
Site Supporter

OK, lets just hit a few high points. Has a 65hp 1300, brakes and clutch inop, no windshield, no title, is unfinished (notice no pics or mention of interior) but it does sort of look like an old TV car. Yup, gotta be worth at least 12K.
Old March 10th, 2014, 11:19 AM   #230
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Have the same car with windshield 1776 motor interior 1965 pan tranny and lp and shipped from cali for around 2500.
Jeff
Old March 10th, 2014, 12:42 PM   #231
Dakota Dave
Forum Member

I'll tell ya whats going on. I have 6 motorcycles. 4 are Harley 1 honda, and 1 indian. I'm sure none of them were ever cool at the right time but I love them. The last few years the prices for them have finally become realistic. One example is I have two 1957 Panheads. One is worth about 9k and has 4800 miles on it. The other is worth about 12k. Those same bikes just two years ago would have fetched 15 and 12k easy if not more. But the so called bikers have moved on to "hotrods" and have lost their ass on selling their bikes after putting way too much money in them which makes them look at vw's thinking they can buy one for 2500 and flip it for 12k. And all they really do is drive up the cost for the folks who really love them and will be around after they arn't cool anymore. My 2 cents anyhow.
Dakota Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2014, 05:32 PM   #232
DrHax
Forum Member

Minnesota markets are a prime example. There's a few crazy "Project" cars that are just absurdly priced. The reason why is because they all went to fields and people who will sell you a field car for 3000k Hey you don't need to worry about floorboards because there's NONE Who needs air conditioning when you have critical automotive cancer in your 3k superbeetle.

Dude...you are sooo fucked!
DrHax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2014, 06:49 PM   #233
Ace of Shades
Forum Member

BJ has killed the market for vehicles. My 68 C10 is a solid $3,500 truck. If I were to follow the BJ style of pricing my truck is actually a solid $8K truck. The use auto market in general ( and new pricing aswell) makes me say WTF.
When I was in highschool I always wanted a "highboy" back then a good mid 70's ford would bring you $800; that same truck in todays market will fetch you around 3K. Most of that is just ignorance on peoples parts. "Oh it's a 'factory highboy', so its rare and worth a shit ton" ... No all it really is, is a Ford F250 4x4 made between 1967 and 1977 1/2.
The same thing goes for Toyotas. When I think of a yota pickup it's basically Marty's truck in back to the future. Go look at buying one today. In the late 80's the MSRP was about $10,000, a high retail on one is about $3,000. If you can find a clean, extra cab, 4x4 toyota you're looking at spending $5-6,000 in the market where I'm at. It is mind boggling, and yet people can get away with it because the market is there, and the market for that price is there because people will pay that much for it.
I found it in a shop in Raton New Mexico. I bought it for a quarter. Cracked me up it was called a Gay Camper. It must be old as hell. They would pull that shit off the shelf now days. Because some Homo would get offended.
If you don't chew big red then FUCK YOU
Ace of Shades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2014, 07:08 PM   #234
DrHax
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace of Shades View Post
BJ has killed the market for vehicles. My 68 C10 is a solid $3,500 truck. If I were to follow the BJ style of pricing my truck is actually a solid $8K truck. The use auto market in general ( and new pricing aswell) makes me say WTF.
When I was in highschool I always wanted a "highboy" back then a good mid 70's ford would bring you $800; that same truck in todays market will fetch you around 3K. Most of that is just ignorance on peoples parts. "Oh it's a 'factory highboy', so its rare and worth a shit ton" ... No all it really is, is a Ford F250 4x4 made between 1967 and 1977 1/2.
The same thing goes for Toyotas. When I think of a yota pickup it's basically Marty's truck in back to the future. Go look at buying one today. In the late 80's the MSRP was about $10,000, a high retail on one is about $3,000. If you can find a clean, extra cab, 4x4 toyota you're looking at spending $5-6,000 in the market where I'm at. It is mind boggling, and yet people can get away with it because the market is there, and the market for that price is there because people will pay that much for it.
Yeah when I paid for my bug it was 2k I got ripped off. It seemd like a clean bug, but it was all hidden.. UGH. Still compared to what i've been seeing for sale usually in the MN market.. .Its crazy. The markets are out of wack.

Old March 11th, 2014, 12:07 PM   #235
EVOlyn
Forum Member

Check out the radial engine powered VW on Stacey David's Gearz website. I saw it on my facebook, so I don't have a link, sorry.

The link...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGeSIM_8BHY

Last edited by EVOlyn; March 11th, 2014 at 05:04 PM.
EVOlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2014, 06:16 PM   #236
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I remember when I was buying 2 VW Bugs a year for $50 & less, most were all basket cases that someone got in over their head, I buy them, pull them home, put it back together, then put the engine I rebuilt in them & drive them until they couldn't be driven anymore, then the mid 90's cam & everybody thought that all the VW's completely rusted out with no engine or transmission started going for $500 or more, it just got flippin crazy & it's only getting worse, now the completely rusted out Bug with no engine, no tranny, no interior or glass & they want $1000 or more for it

That's exactly why I wish I could have kept every Bug I have ever owned to this day, I'd be sitting on a gold mine

Ron

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2014, 07:26 PM   #237
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I still have all my VWs but I need to sell the 356 speedster and the Spatz buggy.
Jeff
Old March 15th, 2014, 08:36 PM   #238
V8Transporter
Forum Member

My first bug was a '62 fifty buck job I Baja'd and dropped a Corvair drivetrain into. I sold the VW transaxle for $75. The 2nd was a damaged '71 (driver drove over an 8" center divider) bought in '72 from a local repair shop that paid $200 for the complete car, pulled the engine and sold it to me for $100. I sold the transaxle for $100, and dropped in another Corvair powertrain (100 bucks for a complete '65 Corvair with a badly damaged nose. ) Those were the days.

I bought my SC before the bugs a couple of weeks out of Vietnam and Army for $295.00 ...Found the sales receipt last month. Funny, but I'd planned on buying a new Sportster. I asked the 'salesman' at San Jose Harley if the dealer offered a GI discount. He replied that If I "was stupid enough to have been in the Army, I didn't deserve a break." Things were a little different back then...and yet I'm not bitter... Anyway a friend had dropped me off at the HD dealer and I was walking back to my folks place (about eight miles) when I spotted the Single Cab in a dealer lot. According the receipt that was Jan 20th '72. I took her for a short drive, paid cash and she's still with me, though changed a bit.
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2014, 09:05 PM   #239
d3ghia
Rabble Rouser

Member Photo Albums

Stupid doctors make me say what the F! So do stupid coworkers.

No - I am not in a good mood. No - I don't think that I will take a chill pill. I think I am done being nice for awhile - it seems to do no good. It seems to be a license to just screw with the nice people.

So WTF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkl Ian View Post
Don't be Fucking stupid.

The bolt is Fucked, it won't fix it's self,
the Bolt Fairy won't fix it, and you can't fix it.

I know there is a Full Moon, but quit Fucking around.
d3ghia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2014, 10:34 PM   #240
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I think we have all dealt with stupid people. Had one boss who was really out of touch with what his business was doing as far as technology went. He retired and died the next week. Karma? Had 3 other bosses who all fought because they all thought they were God. Ran a ship like it had screen doors on the portholes.
And then there are some students. Damn I have stories!
Jeff
Old March 20th, 2014, 07:09 AM   #241
Dakota Dave
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3ghia View Post
Stupid doctors make me say what the F! So do stupid coworkers.

No - I am not in a good mood. No - I don't think that I will take a chill pill. I think I am done being nice for awhile - it seems to do no good. It seems to be a license to just screw with the nice people.

So WTF?
I'm a really laid back guy. Usually I will literally give a guy my last buck if I know they need it. But I HATE people who try to bs me or screw me or my family or friends over. When that happens I think you are perfectly within your rights to be as nasty as you need to be. Sadly sometimes its the only way to get the message across. Just resist the urge to use the sawsall on someone. That never turns out well for either party And honestly if you don't vent once in a while you will end up stressed and doing stupid things; like buying a mini cooper
Dakota Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2014, 07:28 AM   #242
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Ever driven a mini? Those things are wicked fun! We test drove one and went crazy in an industrial park. It's like a bike with 4 wheels!
Jeff
Old April 7th, 2014, 09:01 PM   #243
V8Transporter
Forum Member

How 'bout this one? Our propane supplier filled our shop's tank with 217 gallons at $5.89 per, and billed us $1278.13. Sherrie called to verify the amount and the woman told her, that the cost was a billing mistake and it's actually $3.46 per gallon, or a total of $750.82 ($527.31 less !!) And now I bring you the WTF moment. Sherrie then asks, "Why didn't you send us a revised bill with the proper amount?." The woman replies that the billing error was in every bill they sent out and they didn't plan to send revised bills. Sherrie then says "So if I hadn't called and just had sent the check for $1278.13, what would have happened?" The woman answers that only people who call and question their bill will pay the proper amount. Isn't this theft, or at least just fraud? If they sent out say 100 bills at an average of 200 gallons, that means an extra $48,600 in their pockets. WTF?

Oddly enough, last year another gas supplier sent us a bill for gas for our home. The odd part is that we hadn't used them. I called and was told that this was a billing error and to ignore it. WTF x 2
Tomorrow, I call the PUC
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2014, 07:37 AM   #244
DrHax
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiI View Post
Ever driven a mini? Those things are wicked fun! We test drove one and went crazy in an industrial park. It's like a bike with 4 wheels!
Jeff
The rear seat isn't.. its bowel rattling. I swear the rear seat is bolted to the shocks.each bump goes right up your ass into your spine painfully. Up front WHEEEE.. in back not so much.

Sent from my Z665C using Tapatalk

Old April 8th, 2014, 09:09 AM   #245
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Who the hell drives from the back seat? Why would you want back seats in the first place? The serve no purpose other than excess weight.
Jeff
Old April 8th, 2014, 01:05 PM   #246
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

Coffee?

Memoirs?

Bieber tattoos?

This thread makes me say WTF..... This isn't social media. #fuck you!!

Where are all the really good WTF's? Like who the fuck thought that left handed lug nuts were necessary? Who was the brain trust behind a three link rear suspension? Why is there an abundance of shows about crab fishing? How many "real" people spend elevendy million dollars to go to some other country (or Alaska) to dig for gold or jewels, and why do we need multiple shows dedicated to them? Why is chicken good for you, but eggs aren't? If everyone dumped their pork belly stocks, would the price of bacon really be effected? If a double quarter pounder is really equal to 1/2 pound, why is it so much smaller than an 8 oz. steak? If you really want people to purchase you macaroni and cheese, why in the Hell would you tell them it'll give them the blues? Why do we gripe about lazy cops who don't catch people speeding, yet bitch and complain when we get pulled over?

And one last one just so the religious sect doesn't feel left out...

If God is all powerful, can he create an object so massive he himself cannot lift it?

You may think I'm going to Hell for the last one, but I know where I stand and I'm willing to take my chances.
Old April 8th, 2014, 01:39 PM   #247
amrcnbadaz
Forum Member

Who was the first person to put their name on their uniform, and why? Did they have a problem remembering their own name, or did they just want to put the word Dick on their shirt?
QUOTE(Steve @ Apr 1 2006, 06:05 PM)

That bike makes my scrotum cry...
Quote:
QUOTE Steve Jan 26, 2008

If one of my buddies pulled into my driveway and got out of that, I'd punch him right in the colon.

That thing looks like a blue clitoris.
amrcnbadaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2014, 01:43 PM   #248
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

Why were there more American Motor Company vehicles sold/bought in Canada than the U.S.?
Old April 8th, 2014, 01:49 PM   #249
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

I don't believe in reincarnation, but if it's really real, in my former, dinosaur, life I must have been a Lick-a-lota-puss.
Old April 8th, 2014, 01:52 PM   #250
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

Ever wonder why the old, uncomfortable Levi's 501's with the copper rivet in the crotch are the ones worth a shit pot load of money?