Total Online: 626

Newest Member: Tylerted

Latest Threads
- by DrHax
- by Bugula

Old May 1st, 2005, 10:25 AM   #1
works2hard
Forum Member

Anyone here built or own one of the BGW Spectre/Wizard Rods conversions? I'd like to know some details as to their construction, design, etc. Generally, I like the Rod/Hebmuller look it has but don't see why they chose to make the engine lid so short. I also think that it rises too much in the rear cowl area and would like to keep the body line that the stock VW has that runs just below the window channel down to the fender/engine lid line.
works2hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2005, 10:48 AM   #2
John Kelly
Forum Member

Location: Gullwing Inn, Moclips WA... the very edge of the civilized world

I agree about those. They look out of proportion because of what you mentioned. The hebs look a lot better.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
Old May 1st, 2005, 11:12 AM   #3
NICKSTER

I have one!

A BGW Spectre California Speedster!

I agree, the rear section is too high looking. The rear deck lid is small and does use the original hinges, but I mounted mine with hood pins. The stock hinges hit the dual Webbers. I promissed everone I'd post some pictures and I will (when I get back from Mexico! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Dancing.gif[/img] ) The kit is very well made and the figerglass is nice and thick. It's also very straight! It wouldn't look right fenderless because the rear is actually wider than stock and the rear apron cover goes sticks over the fenders by about 2 inches per side. It will look good with the rear at stock height and the front slammed! I WILL drive it by summer! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Dancing.gif[/img]
Old May 1st, 2005, 11:57 AM   #4
works2hard
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NICKSTER@May 1 2005, 12:12 PM
I have one!

A BGW Spectre California Speedster!

I agree, the rear section is too high looking. The rear deck lid is small and does use the original hinges, but I mounted mine with hood pins. The stock hinges hit the dual Webbers. I promissed everone I'd post some pictures and I will (when I get back from Mexico! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Dancing.gif[/img] ) The kit is very well made and the figerglass is nice and thick. It's also very straight! It wouldn't look right fenderless because the rear is actually wider than stock and the rear apron cover goes sticks over the fenders by about 2 inches per side. It will look good with the rear at stock height and the front slammed! I WILL drive it by summer! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Dancing.gif[/img]
<div align="right">Quoted post</div>
Nickster -

Do you have any construction shots? Would it be too difficult to do the following:

1) extend the rear deck lid cut further up on the rear body (or are there support/inner structure issues to deal with?)

2) cut the cowl area back some to get rid of the rise, enlarges the cockpit area. I picture the windshield cut down about 3" with a Carson top.

VERY rough picture:
works2hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2005, 12:28 PM   #5
Nick
Forum Member

Modifying fiberglass will vary depening on who does it. Some may find it easy as others may have no idea where to even begin. But basically making the rear lid further up will be a semi-typical fiberglassing customizing job. Cut higher, mate the lid + the cut piece, reshape the lip, etc etc... Is it a hard job?, yes and no, depending on who does it.

Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2005, 12:57 PM   #6
FONZY
Forum Member

AAAaaayyy... WORKS2HARD

sounds like yer tryin to do just that...

I would recomend just build a hebmuller - ish roadster..
the simpler ones like splitster mark has here would be super simple..
or something like mine is going to be moderately more difficult .. I am basically doing a real hebmuller lineage on the decklid but with some small modifications to suit my own taste. I will probobly go with a carson style removable top, unless or untill i can get my hands on a vert roof to modifiy to fit.

theres lots and lots of ideas out there... those wizard rod kits are best left as close to the way they are intended as possible due to high difficulty levels in altering them things;(

there are some good links to alternate 'roadster' ideas in this post here

http://volksrods.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=9515

good luck!
Old May 2nd, 2005, 12:28 PM   #7
Hebster52
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FONZY@May 1 2005, 10:57 PM
I would recomend just build a hebmuller - ish roadster..
the simpler ones like splitster mark has here would be super simple..
or something like mine is going to be moderately more difficult .. I am basically doing a real hebmuller lineage on the decklid but with some small modifications to suit my own taste. I will probobly go with a carson style removable top, unless or untill i can get my hands on a vert roof to modifiy to fit.

theres lots and lots of ideas out there... those wizard rod kits are best left as close to the way they are intended as possible due to high difficulty levels in altering them things;(

there are some good links to alternate 'roadster' ideas in this post here

http://volksrods.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=9515

good luck!
<div align="right">Quoted post</div>
First of all I wouldn't say Splitster Marks is very simple. There was the same amount of work to it as on yours (and mine) considering the metalwork...

Secondly yours and my Hebster projects are very similar. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Dancing.gif[/img]

Keep up the work FONZY! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Dancing.gif[/img]

I'm also getting some speed into my work now. (Finally... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dry.gif[/img] )

HebsterWerks The secret workshop..
Hebster's projects in the introsection.
Cuttin' them splits up!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
"What stripping?... all I see is bare metal!"

Hebster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2005, 12:39 PM   #8
hotrodheb
Forum Member

The kits definately have potential!!!

I really like how the RatStew was finished off!

"READ more... post LESS." - Steve

"Girls who weld kick ass!" - Notched

"Grumpy, the new master of Anti-Donk." - TurboPunk

hotrodheb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2005, 05:18 PM   #9
FONZY
Forum Member

dood! that ratstew is PHAT! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]