- by Bugula
- by alykat
- by Zee
- by horshak

Old November 13th, 2018, 11:50 AM   #1
Zee
Forum Member

Default Hello again!

Hello all, after many years of infrequent lurking I have finally picked up a project. Found a '69 beetle that had been used as a pharmacy delivery car in Portland. It has changed hands a couple times but it was pretty well maintained. Newish pans, lots of fresh parts.
Unfortunately I already likely blew the 1500 single port. Towing it home on a U-haul dolly a bump knocked it into gear and I didn't notice until a huge cloud of oily smoke emerged. I'll try and turn it over by hand tonight but judging by the oil coating everything I think all the magic smoke is out now.
I had planned to update the motor/trans but would have been nice to still have a running motor to pull it in and out of the garage until I was ready for that part. So I will shuffle priorities and start with the engine and trans. Plan is to make it more of a sleeper right now - get it repainted the original color and have the graphics recreated after since it adds a nice quirk to it.
Old November 13th, 2018, 01:31 PM   #2
V8Transporter
Forum Member

Default Re: Hello again!

Well, that sucks. But the bug looks pretty cool. Hopefully, you'll find that the damage isn't as bad as you think.
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2018, 10:21 AM   #3
Square
Forum Member

good looking project, What's the damage??
Square is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2018, 09:17 AM   #4
Zee
Forum Member

Unfortunately I won't get a core out of the engine. #1/2 rods threw and #1 piston jug is melted to the case. Engine came out of an autostick (funky oil pump on it) but would have been nice for the case core. Transaxle is a maybe, going to spray it down with engine cleaner tonight and try to pull it and see if the core is rebuildable. Going to need to replace the passenger heater channel and maybe the front apron since it is bashed a bit but usable. Plan to roll it inside the garage soon and get to removing the body.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2018, 01:32 PM   #5
V8Transporter
Forum Member

Sounds like you have a plan in the works. As you mentioned a "sleeper," what size engine are you considering?
Old November 30th, 2018, 12:36 PM   #6
Zee
Forum Member

I'm leaning towards mild 1835/1914, part of me really wants to do an under-the-deck turbo. I have a co-worker who keeps trying to convince me to go Subaru powered but that is more than I want to deal with. I'll probably scour CL or facebook marketplace for a usable core.
Had a sun break yesterday and got 3 of 4 CV joints undone, next dryish day I'll pull the last and yoink the transaxle. Gave it a good power washing already.
Old December 5th, 2018, 07:21 PM   #7
bug-ugly
Forum Member

I remember seeing that car on Portland craigslist a while back. If it were me, I'd just cut and polish the body paint and save the logo. I've had pretty good luck getting paint matched at the NAPA paint store. It's actual automotive paint and they can put it in spray cans. I did all four fenders, deck lid, hood, and a front quarter panel with 4 or 5 cans at about $15 each. Turned out pretty nice.

Last edited by bug-ugly; December 5th, 2018 at 07:24 PM.
bug-ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2018, 11:26 AM   #8
V8Transporter
Forum Member

Nice looking machine. The paint looks great! That might be a cool way to finish the paint work on my Singe Cab. Is that an air scoop under the nose?
Old December 6th, 2018, 02:07 PM   #9
bug-ugly
Forum Member

Thanks and, yeah, it's a scoop. Don't want to hijack Zee's thread, so to keep it on topic... YES, I think it is a great way to match/blend paint on a budget. Just keep in mind that you will want to bring them a panel with the paint you want to match. If you need to do any cut/polishing, do it before you bring it in.

This is my little brother's ghia when I was doing his beam. I forget what cut/polish he used (Mother's, I think), but this thing was musty and dusty. It looked like flat orange before.

In that picture, Zee's bug doesn't look bad at all. you could bring the car down and get it matched or just the glove box door or anything that's the same color/condition paint.

Last edited by bug-ugly; December 6th, 2018 at 03:04 PM.
bug-ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2018, 11:25 AM   #10
Zee
Forum Member

Very nice! The orange isn't the original color, it was a half-ass job on it and there's been an attempt to remove the logo on one side. Original was red and the owner prior to the guy I bought it from painted the fenders/hood black right over the orange - easy enough to take off but I'll probably go for the red original paint and get either a vinyl cut of the logo or find a good sign person to do it.