Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > Members Intros and Project Updates!

Members Intros and Project Updates! New member introductions and project updates...
Your ongoing "journals"...

User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 17,564
Threads: 32,397
Total Online: 632

Newest Member: Tylerted

Latest Threads
- by DrHax
- by Bugula

Old July 12th, 2006, 09:31 AM   #26
RyanB
Forum Member

Arrow Re: My Projects

Update for my buggy...

Well here is my new "project"...

Larger Pic
Goodies I got with the car. Full set of Street tires/Rims and also Sand Paddles!

Larger Pic
Damage to the front of the car....

Larger Pic
Yanked most everything out...

Larger Pic

I am yanking the body off the pan at the moment. There is some fiberglass repair I want to do and also paint it Dark Blue with MetalFlake. I may try to get enough of the small things fixed to get it out on the sand for the 22nd.
It has a built up type1 transmission for Sand and a 1836cc motor. Had dual carbs which I am not fond of. Will see if I can get them dialed in.
I have to redo the turning brake somewhat as one of the brake lines snapped... Bit project but I've always wanted a Manx Style buggy!
~Ryan B
RyanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2006, 08:29 AM   #27
RyanB
Forum Member

Default Re: My Projects

So, I've been hell bent on working on my buggy... so I dont have much to update. However I've run into a problem...

I apparently measured things up wrong when I 1st looked into this and my engine sits at a minimum 3 inches too far back. However to be more comfortable, it really should be 6 inches further in then it is. No clue how I managed to get that far off.

In the following pics, you can see where the end of the wheel wells and decklid ends(sides?) are hitting the sides of my motor…

There really isn’t a whole lot I can do about moving the motor forward. I ‘may’ be able to get another inch. Possibly 2 with some really creative work near the torsion. However that wont be enough obviously. So, my thought is to go with a smaller motor.

The current motor is a DOHC EJ25 motor. I really don’t want to deal with a turbo setup for my 1st swap. Which is why I chose the EJ25. Would going with a single cam motor give me the clearance I need? What about a smaller motor like the EJ20? Do they make a non-turbo EJ20? What about something smaller? I keep hearing about a 1.8 liter Subie.

These are questions I posed to a yahoo group. If anyone actually reads this intro and has suggestions feel free to PM me.

Last edited by RyanB; May 16th, 2007 at 08:48 AM.
Old May 16th, 2007, 08:53 AM   #28
RyanB
Forum Member

Wow... Sept 5th since I updated this?

Well It is finally time I think to get back to this project. After further consideration I am going to have to turn this car into a VolksTruck. I just dont see a way to make it turn out the way I would like. I'll post up some pictures soon as I pull this thing out of the back of my shop and get back to work on it.

1st order of buisness is to find a truck bed. I am also considering making one out of bug doors.

The plan now is to so something similair to others. Use bug doors for the rear of the cab. It has a Tinbeater extension on the front and also will have a 2" drop beam which I have already.

I'll still need to fabricate up a support frame for the heavier subaru motor.
Old September 12th, 2007, 08:06 AM   #29
RyanB
Forum Member

I keep Waffling on this project. Lately I have been thinking of scrapping most of it and usign the torsion work I did with the engine and transmission in a Sand Rail.

It would help if I wasnt working on my Wifes Manx buggy and my Sand Rail so much. I keep braking things when I go out to Sand Lake.

At this point I will be well back into winter before I get back to this. I still have to get the Baja in my Avatar going! In fact, I'll probably post up some pictures of doing just that soon...
Old September 14th, 2007, 12:43 PM   #30
RyanB
Forum Member

OK! Here's the plan...

1) Get the wifes buggy going again. I update that info on STF.
2) Get the Baja going and registered to drive!
3) Pull my old project out and get started making it a Volkstruck.

I should be finishing #1 this weekend. It's close to being ready to go back out to Sand Lake.

As far as the Baja goes. A while back I did a bunch of work to get the Baja Kit on and havent done much since. Well I intend to turn this car into my DD.
Here's my thread on it over at STF: http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewto...r=asc&start=60

Anyhow, I have purchased the lights and whatnot from CIP1. The stuff is OTW! Once I get that taken care of I can begin once again on #3...

EDIT: I realize many of my pictures are borked... I'll be trying to fix that. I've got my domain back up with another server but there are still a number of issues to work through.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 03:04 PM   #31
RyanB
Forum Member

Last update in Sept... Wow...

Well, from above... I got the wifes buggy setup and then promply had an electrical problem that I've decided to yank all the electrical for and start over. So, I need to bring it back inside to do. I cleaned a bunch of the garage last night in anticipation for this.

As for #2 from above, I am inching closer to haveing the Baja ready. A couple of weeks ago I finished mounting my tail lights. I am now working on getting the later model gas tank installed with the Jag filler I got from Grumpy. I've cut the hole for the filler. Now just need to install the tank, mount the filler and work out the hose from the filler to the tank. Once that is finished I can do the front electrical with the headlights and turn signals. It's getting close!

Sadly, I havent been able to do anything pertaining to #3 except to move the pan around! However, it looks like I should be able to get to it in a few months.

I'll try and post some pictures after this weekend of the filler and whatnot for the Baja.
Old January 15th, 2008, 11:40 AM   #32
RyanB
Forum Member

Well I have been working on my Baja quite a bit lately. I want to get it going for a Daily Driver.

Things I have done the past 2 weeks...

Figure out Wiring for rear Brakes, Stop lamp and running lights.
Install Rear tail lamp housings and connect wiring.
Install late model gas tank.
Install fuel filler and hose to tank.
Replace 6v wiper motor with 12v wiper motor
Install Headlights/Turn/Running light units.
Figure out front wiring
Spray on Rubber undercoat for new Baja Fiberglass.

I purchased the Halogen housings from CIP1. I loved the idea. However the implimentation isnt easy on a Baja. To properly fir the trim ring, you need a headlight bucket. However, there isnt anything I found that could be bolted in with flanges or anytthing. It's too cold to fiberglass and I really didnt want the headache of doing that anyhow. So I sent the replacement buckets they sent me. So, for now I dont have any trim rings on and the back of the lamp encloser is exposed. Not much I can do about it right now.

Here are some pics of the filler and the headlights.

Old January 16th, 2008, 07:47 AM   #33
RyanB
Forum Member

I forgot to mention... My wife thought this was Hilarious... So I put some gas into the car and I had been running it off and on. Tuning it up and whatnot. I finally got everything on and went to take it around the block and to the gas station for a fill up. well... I ran out of gas about 1/2 mile from home on it's maiden voyage for me. <sigh> I had to call her to bring my gas can.

I think she was laughing her ass off the whole way over to me.

I found out a couple troubleing issues. #1 is something I was planning on fixing anyhow which is the way I have the filler tubing setup, if you pump gas too quickly it will come shooting back out. I kinda expected that so I need to come up with a better design. #2 is the car will not stay in second. I have to hold it in second which is annoying as all hell.

<sigh>

However, it was great to finally really drive the car. i've had the darn thing for a year and a half or so.

Things to do:

Rear view mirror: Oooops! I dont have one! Ack!
Side Mirror: Ooops! I dont have one of those either!
Turn Signals: I burned up the 6volt flasher. Have to figure out what to do.
Running Lights: I have running/day lights in the halogen enclosures. When they are on with the halogen it makes them essentially brights. Have to work out a switch to turn them off when I turn the headlamps on.

Long term:

I still have a 1.8L Subaru motor that is supposed to go into this car. Funda have become super short after the Xmas spending spree. Still need to buy the adapter from Dan Hecker, then I can seriously get started on a swap. Till then looks like I will be using the 1200cc single port. Heh.
Old July 19th, 2010, 11:07 AM   #34
RyanB
Forum Member

2+ years since an update. Wow. how time flies. I took a strange turn in my hobbies that has had me sidetracked for a long time. I became a beekeeper. Now that I have that hobby up and running I can dedicate some time to this one again. hehe.

I've actually sold/traded much of my VW stuff but like a true packrat I still have a ton more. On my Baja, I have finally moved forward with stuffing a different motor into the car. I've put a Ford 2.3 Turbo Fuel Injected into it. Pretty Excited to see how she does. This will also give me the opportunity to have HEAT in the winter. And maybe even AC next year. Woo! I would still like to bring it to a Steve Meet too. Hopefully next year I suppose as I am running out of time this year.

What I have done recently to the Baja. I've put the 2.3 in, cut out the package tray. Built a cage for the radiator and am working on the cooling system now. The wiring harness was kind of a pain since I hadnt done something like that before. But its up and running. Just cant run it long because the coolant system isn't ready.
Old August 9th, 2010, 10:05 AM   #35
RyanB
Forum Member

So I spent all Sunday for the most part working on the Baja. Mostly it was cleaning up and routing the wiring. I did get the remote reservoir setup though. See 1st pic. Now working on the coolant lines to the radiator. Once the coolant lines are run I will be concentrating on the throttle cable. I have an idea for it just not sure how well it will work.

It seems Fastenal are not open on Weekends. how lame is that. I wanted to get a nut to weld in for my O2 sensor. Local hardware store didn't have the right thread.

Remote reserviour is installed there on the right.

A look at the package tray area. I've cleaned up the wiring.

The Radiator and support cage installed. Once I feel comfortable with how it all fits I'll box it in with sheet metal.

Just a look with the back seat up.