Latest Threads
- by RichG
- by 1slo3
- by 1slo3

Old September 16th, 2010, 12:17 PM   #1
don-vee
Forum Member

Default My Rusto paint job...

Hey, I figured I'd do a quick write-up about my Rust-Oleum job, since I see lots of threads on lots of boards with different methods. Here's mine...
I set up a makeshift spray booth in one corner of my garage using plastic sheeting. I had 10 clip-on work lights in various spots all around the car at different angles, each with 100-watt bulbs in them. Also, I scored 4 box fans from the thrift store and put them under the partially-open garage door facing out. Seal up the space to the sides of the fans as well, so you don't have any open spaces.
I'm not going to get into the bodywork here. There's plenty of other info about bodywork everywhere. So, after all the bodywork, patching and such, and masking, I sanded everything with 180 grit, tack-ragged it, then wiped everything down with acetone...

I used Rust-Oleum clean metal white primer (2 qts), thinned only about 5-10% with acetone. I discovered acetone dries quicker than mineral spirits, so that was what I used for the primer. I sanded the primer with 400 grit, tack-ragged it, and wiped it down again, then repeated the spray-sand-tack-wipe process...

Right before paint, I got everything ready, and my brandy-new spray gun I got off ebay (bad move, I know) would absolutely not spray! I took it apart, made sure it was clean, popped it back together, and nothing. I am still clueless.
So, I scooted off to Harbor Freight for a new gun. Yeah, I know, there's way better guns out there than HF krap, but hey, I'm using Rust-Oleum, this is supposed to be a BUDGET job! Besides, I didn't have 150-200 bones to drop on a semi-decent gun. I got a good deal on a 2-gun gravity-feed HVLP set, one big gun and one detail gun, with extra nozzles and a cleaning set for 50 bucks. What the hell, I grabbed it. They were actually pretty decent. But, by the time I got back home, it was dark and the cold night air was going to hamper any thought of spraying until the next day.
So, after letting everything sit overnight, I tacked and wiped it down one more time before doing the deed.

I used Rust-Oleum Professional gloss white in a gallon can, thinned with about 10% mineral spirits. I used mineral spirits instead of acetone this time, because I wanted any orange peel that might occur to settle down before flash-drying. Worked like a charm. I had 2 water separators inline, one is 20 feet from the compressor, and one last-chance inline filter right by the gun. I also have a mini-regulator and gauge at the gun. I set it to 30psi. Set up my gun, and went to town...

Now, I have done my fair share of paint jobs. I used to work in a body shop doing prep, and they'd let me use the booth after hours when I needed to paint. I gotta say, the Rusto is not bad to work with. It's comparable to any basic single-stage enamel I have ever used. Laid on nice, great coverage, and not much of the orange-peel I hear about everyone else having. As it sits, it's nice and glossy, and I have heard it holds up extremely well over the years.
Some tips I have from my experience...
LIGHTING! Have as many lights as possible going on, spread out all over around the car and at different angles. The different reflections help you see how the paint is laying on, and if you missed any spots. Not easy to see white paint going over white primer!
If you're going to spend big bucks on anything, spend it on a good respirator. Those little throwaway dust masks do not cut it! You'll be hacking up phlegm chunks the color of your car for 3 days afterwards. Oh, and that whole cancer thing.
Before doing any of the final steps after the mess of the bodywork, some people blow off the car and garage floor with the air hose. I found that a leaf blower does a way better job! Everything shoots right out the exhaust fans! Oh, and remember to not park any cars or anything important right by the exhaust fans for obvious reasons.
I'll let this sit at least a few days, maybe longer since I did not use a hardener. Once this is cured, I plan on hitting it with some 400-grit and doing a second coat, then color-sanding if necessary and buffing. But, you get the idea. Overall I couldn't be happier with the job.

Last edited by don-vee; January 17th, 2015 at 06:02 AM.
don-vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2010, 12:39 PM   #2
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Forum Member

Default Re: My Rusto paint job...

Looks sweet so far!

I've seen quite a few things painted with Rustoleum that come out very well. You pointed out its in the prep and application. I get very good results from Rustoleum with spray cans IF I use a spray handle. The #1 problem I think most people run into with rustoleum is they slop it on thick, and they expect enamel to dry hard in 20 minutes. Even some of the roller jobs turn out ok, they just require a WHOLE LOT more sanding.

If you're not taking the car to Barrett-Jackson, who cares what kind of paint you used. You'll generate a hell of a lot more comments when you tell someone you painted it with Rustoleum and got that kind of result than spending $1K on a crappy spray job.

I do have a question, I don't see any fender welting. Did you just leave the fenders loose or did you space them out with washers or something?I hate seeing a bug painted and they were too lazy to remove the fenders or at least the welting and just spray over the welting.

Last edited by HeidelbergJohn4.0; September 16th, 2010 at 12:42 PM.
HeidelbergJohn4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2010, 12:41 PM   #3
V8Transporter
Forum Member

Damn, that's neat. What does Rusto paint go for a gallon thses days?
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2010, 01:27 PM   #4
garlos
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

That's cool man, thanks for the write up.
garlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2010, 01:31 PM   #5
vidiot
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Like $26 a gallon here. Here is my half ass in progress rusto paint job. After the fenders get 4 more coats I am painting the blue red.
vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2010, 01:40 PM   #6
don-vee
Forum Member

I got mine for $19.92 a gallon. I took the welting out and loose-bolted the fenders on. I had the fenders off and had already had done the fenderwells rusto black prior to putting the fenders back on. I was going to paint the fenders off the car, but I put them on for 2 reasons, 1. I didn't want a lot of white overspray in the wells, and 2. I didn't have enough room in my cluttered garage to put the fenders. I am buying white welting to install after the job is done.
Old September 16th, 2010, 01:44 PM   #7
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Forum Member

or you could just paint it

I don't think its as hard as white window rubber to find, but if you get i na pinch, I've used quite a lot of the Krylon for plastic and I have to say, it works well!
Old September 16th, 2010, 01:50 PM   #8
don-vee
Forum Member

I found a roll of it for 15 bucks, wasn't too hard to find at all.
Old September 16th, 2010, 02:54 PM   #9
Hapster
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I just looked on the Rustoleum site. I didn't know it was lacquer based paint. Or is there another line I didn't see.

Not that it makes a big difference except that Rustoleum has better creds for stopping rust with its primer.

You gotta love v-rodders. 40*, poor brakes, 1/4 suspension working, 3+ body colors...but I drove it dammit!

I totally feel at home here.

project pics
http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...ster/?newest=1
Hapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2010, 04:22 PM   #10
Ace of Shades
Forum Member

Quote:
I didn't have 150 bones to drop on a decent gun
150? I'm getting ready to drop 800 on a gun when shit starts to pick up - and I will still use my HF gun to prime with and shit. Looking damn good for a budget build paint job
I found it in a shop in Raton New Mexico. I bought it for a quarter. Cracked me up it was called a Gay Camper. It must be old as hell. They would pull that shit off the shelf now days. Because some Homo would get offended.
If you don't chew big red then FUCK YOU
Ace of Shades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2010, 05:23 PM   #11
Bama Bill
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Looks good. A freind painted a VW with Rusto about 5 yrs ago and people didn't believe it when he told them. It still looks ok but faded a few shades. It was some partial cans he mixed and got a dark seafoam sort of color.
Bama Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2010, 05:49 PM   #12
Flipper_1938
Forum Member

If the white rustoleum fades...what color will it be?

Its all fun and games .........until somebody calls the cops.

My wife is as mean as a snake as it is. I'm not saying I couldn't woop her in a fair fight, but she doesn't fight fair.

"gonna try the lube and beatin' on it tomorrow... " -Cutman
Flipper_1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2010, 06:01 PM   #13
Bama Bill
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Light white? Bwahahaha
Bama Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2010, 06:40 PM   #14
don-vee
Forum Member

clear!
Old September 16th, 2010, 07:57 PM   #15
theglassman
Forum Member

an old school tip from the grandpaw.....

thin it with gasoline and it will take the shine out of it...if thats what your lookin for........

i did this on my jeep and worked perfect.....
theglassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2010, 09:46 PM   #16
cdscowboy
Forum Member

I've heard that if you thin with gasoline, after a few years (sooner than normal, that is), the paint will start to discolor/do funny stuff.

Build

www.99westcustoms.com
cdscowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2010, 02:24 AM   #17
XISLED
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

i thinned mine out with some sort of thinning agent then added some hardener. it sprayed on nicely and no orange peel at all. i have a few cars over the years with rustoleum and what the heck it holds up, and looks good also.

nice job on the spray it looks great.
Old September 17th, 2010, 06:30 AM   #18
vidiot
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I thinned mine with paint thinner.
vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2010, 05:16 PM   #19
Scott76
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Sherwin Williams has their version of Rustoleum. PLUS they can color it any color you want. It is thinned with paint thinner.

Fleetwing Camper

Going to the Basement
Scott76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015, 06:51 AM   #20
don-vee
Forum Member

5 years later, still lookin' sharp...

Last edited by don-vee; July 14th, 2015 at 06:53 AM.
Old July 14th, 2015, 12:40 PM   #21
alykat
Site Supporter

^^^^^^^^Indeed it is ! Still looking sharp I mean.
Old August 12th, 2015, 06:41 AM   #22
Aubert1541
Forum Member

Did my 71 Super with Rustoleum Sun Burst Yellow and Alpine White has held up well for 16 years . Only draw back it chips easy . One tip to get a great paint job out of a spray can, put the can in a pan of boiling water for 1-3 minutes agitate can and spray on in even light coats. The heat makes the paint flow and increases pressure in the can. Disclaimer DO NOT
leave it on pan to long I remove it from stove before I do this, give it a try sometime. The other paint I like is Krylon it dries rapidly and gives good results.
Aubert1541 is offline   Reply With Quote