Latest Threads
- by Ozrod
- by Timbo

Old September 6th, 2013, 09:04 PM   #1
v8bugrod
Forum Member

Default V8 Bugrod Build
Re:: V8 Beetle Hotrod   

My name is Dan, and I live in Lakeville Minnesota (recently relocated from Williamsburg Virginia). My first car was a 1970 classic bug, and I have owned several air cooled and water-cooled VW's over the years. The past several years I have been into muscle cars and pro-touring builds, but I have wanted to do a hotrod build to take to Goodguy's events. At the Columbus Nationals this summer, I saw this car:

At first I thought it was a hot-rodded, chopped Super Beetle, but its actually a chopped 1963 Volvo PV544. This gave me the inspiration for my new build, a V8 powered, chopped, channeled, and stretched Beetle hotrod. Within a week, I whipped up this sketch of what I am calling the V8 Bugrod:

My goals for this build are as follows:

Have a car to take to Goodguy's - none of my rides are old enough, and will be able to go to VW events too. Double Duty.
Be unique - a V8 Beetle/Hotrod definitely qualifies.
Do some autocross and drag racing - just for fun, never had a suitable car before.
The car needs to be comfortable, practical and reliable enough to take a long trip - think PowerTour.
Be budget conscience - this isn't going to be a show car, but it is going to be done well.
A project that will expand/push my fabrication skills. - lots of welding and metalwork, my first chop top.

Here are some of the major elements I am thinking about:

Start with late 60's or early 70's Classic or Super Beetle shell - want the big rear window, has to be 1972 or older for GoodGuys.
Requisition the 350 SBC/4L60E from my 1986 Olds 442, rear end from salvage yard.
Fabricate custom chassis using 2 x 3 tubing, using weld in Mustang II IFS and Triangulated 4-Link kits from one of the name brand chassis vendors.
Ground clearance around 4 inches, wheelbase around 105"
Engine to be forward enough to keep firewall located where front of stock foot wells are located, won't have to re-engineer pedal, dash, steering, seating positions.
4 inch chop, channel the chassis and possibly relocate B pillar back 4 inches.
Install minimum roll cage/harnesses for autocross/drag racing, may be removable.

I have been refining the original sketch I did in July, and transferring into a 2D drawing package so that I can get closer to reality with a buildable design. I hope to have the next design iteration done in a couple weeks, and will include some reasonable detail on the body lines, chassis, driveline, suspension, wheels/tires, exhaust.

The engine is a 1972, 4 bolt main 350 SBC that I will be removing from my 1986 Olds 442. It has 1995 vintage TBI EFI, and the ECM controls both the engine and 1995 4L60E transmission also from the 442. I have been planning to reuse the existing 442 power train in a hotrod project and replace it with a 5.3 liter LS engine/4L80E combo. So these are the first hard constraints for the project.

I have begun searching for a clean Beetle shell, and have found a couple in the mid-Atlantic area that are promising. I am not in a big hurry to pick one up, as I won't be able to start working on this until later this fall, but am keeping my eyes open for a deal. I don't want to rush out and buy a rust bucket, time not spent fixing rust is more time doing the fun stuff.

Thats all for now, more details to come. Please let me know what you think and share any suggestions you may have.

Last edited by v8bugrod; March 1st, 2014 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Moved to new location
v8bugrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2013, 04:46 AM   #2
TJM
Forum Member

Default Re: V8 Bugrod Build

Ah yes, another V8 Volkswagen builder. Welcome. My Project V8Square, has a 2" x 3" tube chassis, Mustang II front suspension, new sbc 350/330 horse, 700R4 transmission and narrowed 9" Ford, triangulated rear end. Wheelbase is 94.5" - Hmmmmm..... wait a minute, that kind of sounds like what your plans are.

TJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2013, 10:04 AM   #3
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Maybe this thread will inspire me to clean out my garage so I can get back to work on my V8 Bug

I haven't touched it since 2009, oh wait, I did touch it a few days ago, it's been on jack stands for 2 years, I needed the stands back to do work on my daily driver V-Rod

Ron

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2013, 10:36 PM   #4
Boes
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

damn thats cool!
Old September 22nd, 2013, 06:23 PM   #5
Constantine
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Looks cool
Old September 23rd, 2013, 05:27 PM   #6
Jon
Forum Member

I like it, great job.
Glad you didn't use the original bumper design and I love the wheel choice. Those are cool wheels and fit the look of the car.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2014, 04:59 PM   #7
v8bugrod
Forum Member

01/01/2014 - Happy New year everyone. I haven't posted on this thread recently because all the activity has been on the design (see V8 BugRod Design Evolution thread). It hasn't helped that we have been moving half way across the country (to Minnesota), and I am changing jobs. Bottom line is that I haven't done any actual building yet. That is going to change.

First, I have found, purchased and transported to Williamsburg a super clean '72 Classic Beetle shell for $250. There is some surface rust on the front passenger fender/quarter panel/front apron from where it was blasted and not painted. Otherwise there is almost no rot. There is one spot on the passenger rear running board channel, and another spot on the engine lid seal.

I didn't notice the "DIP" sign until I downloaded the photo, my flash reflected off the sign and it looks almost photoshopped.

The heater channels are perfect! I also got 2 perfect doors and an engine lid. Its going to be a little while before I can start carving this up. I still need another roof and 2 doors for the chop. I will then strip all the little parts off and have the whole mess blasted and epoxy primed, and then transported to Minnesota.

Being able to get measurements off a real shell will help get the detail design work done in the meanwhile.

Last edited by v8bugrod; January 17th, 2014 at 07:17 PM.
Old January 1st, 2014, 06:20 PM   #8
d3ghia
Rabble Rouser

Member Photo Albums

Congrats on the new job and the move! That makes for a great start to a new year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkl Ian View Post
Don't be Fucking stupid.

The bolt is Fucked, it won't fix it's self,
the Bolt Fairy won't fix it, and you can't fix it.

I know there is a Full Moon, but quit Fucking around.
d3ghia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2014, 08:28 PM   #9
V8Transporter
Forum Member

You're off to a great start. I just love the DIP sign.
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2014, 04:11 AM   #10
psychopork
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Transporter View Post
You're off to a great start. I just love the DIP sign.
agreed!!

Still looking for that magical box of grid squares.-TSGT Lacy
psychopork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2014, 06:22 PM   #11
v8bugrod
Forum Member

02/16/2014 - I ended up staying in Minnesota for 2 weeks longer than originally planned, and got back to Williamsburg last weekend. I have actual, tangible build progress to report. Firstly, got the good shell cleaned up and rolled into the garage. Treated all the areas that I am going to keep with Extend and Sealer Primer to arrest the surface rust.

Then, I found a donor beetle near Raleigh:

Dos Beetoles:

So when you have a perfectly good donor, and you need some parts, break out the

Score two doors

Yes, I actually sat on the bar stool and made Varoom, Varoom noises.

Score A roof:

Score Two seats:

Score A hood, steering column and a bunch of little pieces that the good shell was missing:

I will the remaining body and keep the front and rear clips and the four quarter panel sections that the doors mount/latch to. These may come in handy during the build, and I can disect these for chassis design details.

I still havent built anything yet, but you got to before you can and . When I leave Williamsburg in two weeks, I will cram all this stuff in a U-Haul trailer allong with most of my tools, and cart it back to Minnesota. I already have an open garage stall lined up there that I can really start to build.
Old February 17th, 2014, 02:15 PM   #12
v8bugrod
Forum Member

02/17/2014 Not much different since yesterday, just more . God its been so long since I used my favorite tool, Id almost forgotten how much fun it is! Now almost two full days of it, I might go blind.

Last men standing - the bottom door fasteners would not unbolt from the A-pillars, so had to drill them out:

The final harvest all the Beetle parts I need for the project, plus some extra stuff to recover when I screw up:

Hey, I just noticed, it looks like my boat is jumping through a big wave of Beetle parts! Forget the build, Im just going to quit my job and start making art sculptures from junk cars and boats!
Old February 19th, 2014, 10:00 AM   #13
richie
Forum Member

Where in MN are ya coming home to???? Ill try ta have a warm beverage ready if yer close! Cool build man.....
Old February 20th, 2014, 09:05 AM   #14
v8bugrod
Forum Member

Thanks Richie. We are settling in Lakeville, its close to where our Daughter/Grandaughter live. Let me know of any car events you recommend in the area. I need to line up a whole new car show calendar for this season.
Old February 20th, 2014, 09:12 AM   #15
richie
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8bugrod View Post
Thanks Richie. We are settling in Lakeville, its close to where our Daughter/Grandaughter live. Let me know of any car events you recommend in the area. I need to line up a whole new car show calendar for this season.
I think 1st or second weekend in June is a great show at westside VW in minneapolis, Not sure of the date right off, but a good swap at northland collision right by you, then theres a bug in weekend in Eau Claire WI......We are hoping to hit them all this year. June is also Back to the 50,s at the state fairgrounds, and theres also the carcraft summer cruise at the fairgrounds.....ferget when. Its a pretty good scene up this way. Im in Buffalo, a ways from Lakeville.....I have all the tools and a decent garage if ya need anything.
Old September 16th, 2014, 08:54 PM   #16
v8bugrod
Forum Member

09/15/2014 Well, life has gotten in the way of my car projects again. This time, it is in a good way. Since my last post we have sold our Williamsburg, VA house, made the final move out of Virginia, bought a new house in Minnesota, and we are in the middle of remodeling and moving in. Our new house is in Prior Lake, MN, and I have a nice big, insulated, heated shop. We wont be done moving in until the end of October, and the remodeling work will go well into the winter. But there has been some good progress on the V8BugRod.

First, a couple shots from earlier in the year. Here is how I crammed the two beetles into one U-Haul trailer for the trip from Williamsburg, VA to Lakeville, MN.

After getting everything to Lakeville, the shop space I had was pretty cramped, had very poor power and lighting, and was un-insulated and un-heated. With the most brutal winter in the past 10 years, I didnt get nearly as much done as I hoped, but did get some clean up and prep work done.

Here are the cool VolksRods side emblems I got from the fundraising auction.

Due to the cold weather, I spent more time searching for parts needed for the project. Here is the 4.8 litre LSX engine and 4L60E transmission I got for $600.

I also found a nice Ford 9 rear end housing for $150 on eBay

After a lot of searching on eBay and tweaking of the design, I was able to settle on a tire brand and size combination which I could find reasonably priced items in good condition. I chose the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx line, with rear size of 315/35R20 and front size of 245/45R17. The rears are pictured below. Yeah, that's a one foot ruler sitting on the left tire, over 13" wide and will run on 11x20 rims. These babies are huge!

This week, I got all the parts out to the new shop, and the front tires arrived via UPS, so I had to drag everything out onto the driveway and see how they look together. This is about how high the body will sit off the ground, and approximate location of the wheels

Here is a side view, 109" wheelbase.

Those rear tires are just sick, I love it!

The front and rear track width will be 60" to the center of the tires.

The next items to pick up are the wheels, which will be the most expensive parts of the whole build. I already have a source and quotes for the pile of steel tubing I will need to build the chassis. I probably wont be able to really start building untill after Christmas. But I am gearing up for a big push in January through March to get as much time in on this as possible.
Old September 22nd, 2014, 05:30 PM   #17
OKpig
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Love the ideal that you have for the bug...... keep poking at it and I will be watching with great interest...... I like the ideal of a VW with POWER up front....

Pig is me
OKpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2014, 11:29 PM   #18
v8bugrod
Forum Member

Thanks OK, I appreciate the interest, and will keep plugging away.
Old September 23rd, 2014, 03:44 PM   #19
V8Transporter
Forum Member

Glad to hear you're keeping at it! IMHO the little 'training wheels' would look better with red or black centers rather than the, um, white....
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2014, 06:08 PM   #20
v8bugrod
Forum Member

Yeah, knew I was going to take some grief for that. They sure make it easy to move the body around by myself though.
Old September 23rd, 2014, 08:34 PM   #21
DrHax
Forum Member

Glad to see another MN volkrodder. Granted shame we live on oppposite sides of the twin cities. I'm up north you're down south.. Hey at least you have better access to all of the better deals on craigslist.

Dude...you are sooo fucked!
DrHax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2014, 04:10 PM   #22
v8bugrod
Forum Member

Yes, I had such high hopes of trying to connect with MN VR folk this summer, but it has been just nuts. I have only gone to one smallish car show all year, just pathetic. Next year is going to be jam packed, I have already warned my wife!
Old September 24th, 2014, 07:33 PM   #23
DrHax
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8bugrod View Post
Yes, I had such high hopes of trying to connect with MN VR folk this summer, but it has been just nuts. I have only gone to one smallish car show all year, just pathetic. Next year is going to be jam packed, I have already warned my wife!
If you ever feel like cruising they have a wednesday show in isanti every wednesday during the summer. Its ran by our local car club.. its pretty fun. Having another bug show up would be amazing. Especially if it was a volksrod. Freak them muscle car guys right out!

Dude...you are sooo fucked!
DrHax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2014, 09:45 PM   #24
v8bugrod
Forum Member

That's the plan, sort of a franken-rod. Part volks rod, part hot rod, part rat rod.