- by Bugula

Old November 4th, 2013, 07:15 PM   #1
shino166
Forum Member

Talking Project Jane
Re:: An extremely low budget '79 volksrod   

Hi all
As many of you might already know from my intro, I'm building a '79 volksrod

I started about 2 years ago, just doing a fix on the pan, but later changed to a full volksrod project.
The thing about my project in particular is that I have almost no budget to work with, I'm unemployed, and didn't have any welding or mechanic skills when I started (now I do)... Also my country sucks big time and stuff is hard/impossible to find and/or really expensive (also no dollars to import things which would make it easier).
But I didn't let that get me down because I wanted a cool car

Enough with the talking

Here she is on day 1, striping it down

Taking a break and thinking about the chop

Removing the body from the pan, had help from my best friend and made light work of it

5 seconds after posting and I realize the above pics are actually putting the body back on Epic face palm protocol is in effect....

It's off, and the new engine is in

Never thought I'd see a full Veedub power train like that (also I didn't think I would dare to do it)

Didn't want to chicken out later in the process, so I removed the front apron and made sealed the deal

And the rear

Skip a couple days forward aaand... Floor pans are gone

Found a tiny bit of rust, and a little crack

And some metal fatigue gone wild under the napoleon hat (dunno if it's called that)

Cleaning it up

Flip it around and guess what I found?

I was freaking out at this point, but something kept me going and we managed to fix it up thanks to my friend's uncle who can weld like a pro

Oh BTW, there's another pan under mine. I was gonna use it to fix my car but it turned out to be worse than the one I have so I just sold it.

Harder, better, faster, stronger

Thinking about rear tires

My best friend rust-hunting from inside

I found some big game on the outside

New pans measured and ready for welding

New floor pans in place

Assembled and ready to go to a body shop for chopping and rust elimination....
All of this happened between March the 3rd and May 22nd. I was doing my thesis to graduate as a Systems Engineer and didn't have much time.

Sorry for the lack of pics in the process, I didn't take many and some got lost

Stay tuned for more coming soon

Last edited by shino166; July 26th, 2017 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Photobucket took down my links
shino166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2013, 03:25 AM   #2
johnny27030
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums
Default Re: Project Jane

Looks like a great start you have.
johnny27030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2013, 07:22 AM   #3
hotrodheb
Forum Member

Looks like you have a great start on your project. The pan was scary looking, but you guys made it nice and solid again!

"READ more... post LESS." - Steve

"Girls who weld kick ass!" - Notched

"Grumpy, the new master of Anti-Donk." - TurboPunk

hotrodheb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2013, 08:09 AM   #4
V8Transporter
Forum Member

Good show. The pan fix is fantastic, a classic case of working with what you've got, and work first class. Can't wait for the chop.
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2013, 09:15 AM   #5
shino166
Forum Member

Thanks guys, I do what I can

It's chopping time!!!
I did a lot of research and planning and I went with a capella chop because it looked easier and doesn't require a donor roof.
It goes without saying that this was the most frightening thing I was gonna do to my car, so I studied a lot, measured everything 5357652395 times and made sure I didn't screw it up...

This a crappy photo
But the cutting has begun

Where did the roof go!

Making sure nothing is getting screwed up

Preview of things to come

Badass, just badass

And abracadabra it has been done, I know it's not the best work you've seen but it's the best work I've seen here and it's well within my budget (also he's 5 minutes from home). The chop took 2 days to cut and the welder guy grinded (literally and figuratively) through the weekend...

Also while at the metal shop some rust control was done and the body was welded to the heater channels, since mine disintegrated when the body left the pan. I used some "new" ones of the old pan I bought.

The good thing is that it starts and is driveable, so I made the short trip over to my house to work on it over there.
And I had a blast

My bro took some pictures of me since I was having so much fun

There you can see some the repairs made.
After the chop I didn't do much since Christmas came along

Next up is extension, rear drop, rear rims and tires and all the problem solving that implies so stay tuned for more of this low budget build

Last edited by shino166; July 26th, 2017 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Photobucket took down my links
Old November 6th, 2013, 10:03 AM   #6
mkparker
Forum Member

Awesome work shino!! Just goes to show that you don't have to spend a lot to have a cool ride!!

mkparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2013, 05:22 PM   #7
V8Transporter
Forum Member

Um, the chop took a couple of days, your ride didn't become a roadster, and now you're driving it...? And she looks great to boot...Are you trying to make most of us look bad?
Old November 6th, 2013, 05:47 PM   #8
shino166
Forum Member

Hahahaha no I'm not trying to make anyone feel bad, besides I'm unemployed so I have tons of time. You on the other hand are making me feel great
She was ride-able but only that short distance, not very legal with no windows, lights or seat belts...

And now she's throwing a tantrum and threw a spark plug against the side of the engine bay. Sounded like gunshot. So more work and learning to do
Old November 26th, 2013, 04:34 AM   #9
shino166
Forum Member

Ok time for an update. I started a new job so I haven't had much time to work on the car.
Lucky for you all my progress 'till now has yet to be posted

So like I said before this is gonna be ll about the extension. Now this is something I've been thinking about ever since I started, not only thinking about dimension and drop or style, but thinking where the frack I'm gonna get it... As I might have said before, there are no hot rod shops in Venezuela, also getting an extension over seas is impossible for me for various reasons (one being the money, the other the economic mess of my country). So I opted for plan b: make some drawings by looking at tons of pics online and go to the best metal shop I could find and have it fabed up. Although the best metal shop in the area is actually pretty awesome and have tons of machines to cut and bend all kinds of metal, they told me they couldn't do it because they had no 6mm plate (that's 1/4" for you crazy people), also even if they had the plate they said they can't cut curvy things ... So I panicked and went around every metal shop near by and called others not so near and the result is I learned that to get that thickness metal I would have to import a whole sheet just for me

Well enough with the blah blah blah, time for plan C: making it myself... I know, I know, you don't like it and you're gonna have a lot of criticism but I really don't have a choice, and also I'll be employing the aid of my dad who is a metallurgical engineer and can tell me if my welds are good and how to reinforce everything.

The first thing you can yell to me about is that I'll be using 3mm plate, which according to everyone I've talked to will support the forces it's submitted to with proper reinforcing...

First piece cut. I used an angle grinder with a thin cutting wheel

Second piece cut and set. Making good progress

Another half mocked up

you can see the other pieces in the back

And now put the 2 halves together and tack weld them (yes I'm using a stick welder)

Welded some more on the next day

It actually looks pretty good

And that's it for part 1 of my extension making process. Stay tuned for part 2 where I attempt to reinforce it and put it on my car...(And also some pics of my frame head brace)
Oh forgot to mention, going for a 10" extension and a 2.5" drop (yes I know I'm using inches now, it's your fault)

Last edited by shino166; July 26th, 2017 at 09:51 PM.
Old November 26th, 2013, 06:12 AM   #10
Bugula
Forum Member

Looks great, moving along nicely. How many inches did you cut out of the "A" pillars?
Bugula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2013, 06:19 AM   #11
shino166
Forum Member

Hi Bugula, If I remember correctly it was 5... was gonna do 6 but it seemed a bit to much
Old November 26th, 2013, 07:04 AM   #12
hotrodheb
Forum Member

Quote:
Well enough with the blah blah blah, time for plan C: making it myself... I know, I know, you don't like it and you're gonna have a lot of criticism but I really don't have a choice, and also I'll be employing the aid of my dad who is a metallurgical engineer and can tell me if my welds are good and how to reinforce everything.
No need for criticism! You've done your homework, you are getting some good advice from your dad. Hell, they make jumbo jets out of aluminum and other light metals and look at the stresses they are subject to.

Keep up the killer work!

"READ more... post LESS." - Steve

"Girls who weld kick ass!" - Notched

"Grumpy, the new master of Anti-Donk." - TurboPunk

hotrodheb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2013, 10:02 AM   #13
V8Transporter
Forum Member

What you are doing is stepping back to the do-it-yourself hot rodding days of yore, which is pretty much what this site is based on. Really, really, nice work.
Old November 26th, 2013, 12:56 PM   #14
shino166
Forum Member

Wow, thanks guys. I thought I was gonna get at least some ifs and buts but it seems I'm doing a better job than I thought...
Old November 27th, 2013, 02:17 AM   #15
sandman
Forum Member

Just went through your thread from the beginning and had to chime in on the great job! There are many, but I will only speak for myself, that do a lot less with a lot more.
It's inspiring to see how you have attacked your volksrod and just "make it happen." As was just mentioned, you have a true Hot-Rodding attitude and ethos.
Keep up the good work and keep the pictures coming!

Deadlines. I love them. Especially that whooshing sound as they pass by.
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2013, 04:21 AM   #16
shino166
Forum Member

Thank you Sandman, I'm doing the best I can

Ok time for more pics.
I'm gonna side track a bit from the extension and show you some stuff I did before that....

I was gonna finish cutting the rear apron because I had left it unfinished when I noticed something weird (not the best of pics but you get the idea)

Since I wasn't with the metal guy when he welded the roof I couldn't make sure the roof was straight. So after I freaked out a little, cried, and thought about it, I checked the roof all around and that's the only problem I could see with it. Even though it's not aligned in the rear, the front and b pillars are good to go.
So I spent an hour thinking how to fix it, where to cut, I even made a cardboard model of that part and practiced making cuts and moving it to see how I could do it without it warping anything or wrinkling.
And this is the result (sorry no progress pics, was in the welding-zone)

Note that it was my first time welding my car, and it's the thinnest metal I've ever welded. Also it's really hard with a stick welder but it is possible... I'm not completely happy with the result so maybe I'll fix it better later on since I've gotten better at welding.

Did some painting to prevent (more) rusting

Floor pans look nice

More welding practice. I'm gonna make a shifter with some chain

A lot of welding later, and I think I nailed it

It looks goooooooood!

(note the special wire coupling mechanism I made)

I made my very own quick shifter thing. Works ok for now

Aaaaaand I put some tires on the rims I had widened to 8"

It's not lowered yet so it looks like a baja

It's starting to take shape and looking awesome. I went ahead and fixed the rear apron. I'm gonna leave the original latch to close it so I'm leaving the edge.

I'm making some reinforcing with 1" square tubing

Close-up of my welds

The target

And boom! welded it, and looks awesome

That's all for now.
If you have any tips or comments about anything I'm all ears

Next update I'm test mounting the extension, moving my steering box to the center (since I don't want to notch the hood) and all the work comes with it... oh right and my frame- head brace also.

See you soon, and thanks all for your encouragement

Last edited by shino166; July 26th, 2017 at 09:53 PM.
Old December 2nd, 2013, 09:49 PM   #17
DrHax
Forum Member

You mate, are giving me inspiration. I'm a similar situation, No money, no access to parts, and a car that everybody and their mother has told me to scrap. If you can do this with what you have..Then damn... I'm a bleeding slacker.
DrHax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2013, 05:35 AM   #18
1jarhead2
Forum Member

That is awesome. It is looking really good.
1jarhead2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2013, 09:35 AM   #19
shino166
Forum Member

Dr. hax, you should get at it and do little by little... Even a glass will over flow drop by drop ;)

1jarhead2 Thanks
Old December 9th, 2013, 09:00 PM   #20
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Nice work

Ya know I don't work at all except for my V-Rod & a few other projects, so I have plenty of time, my V-Rod has been very low budget as well
I have been wanting to chop my top for quit some time now, but it's tough to chop it when I need to drive it every other week, usually every other Tuesday & Friday I need it
I suppose I can chop it in 10 days if I have the windshield ready & waiting to install, the rest of the glass can be done afterwards, so now that I see you did it in a few days I'm gonna save up & get my windshield cut, then chop the top

Keep up the nice work , & thanks, you have inspired me to get my top chopped this coming Spring of 2014 as long as I can gather at least $100 for the glass

Ron

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2013, 11:18 PM   #21
garlos
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Fun reading your build, I like your enthusiasm, great work
garlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2013, 05:05 AM   #22
psychopork
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

loving the chain shifter. good work man. keep it coming.

Still looking for that magical box of grid squares.-TSGT Lacy

Last edited by psychopork; December 10th, 2013 at 05:08 AM.
psychopork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2013, 05:45 AM   #23
Daddy o's 67
Forum Member

I'm enjoying reading your build and am so encouraged by your "go for it" attitude. Great cars are built by people like you that don't let things hold them back. Keep up the great work!
Daddy o's 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2013, 03:46 AM   #24
shino166
Forum Member

Hi everybody!
First of all Merry Christmas to all Volksrodders out there. Hope you had a good time.

Quick update here, not much been done since work has taken over my life :(
I've had my heads off for some time now, finally fix the thread but I'm looking for some good heat resistant adhesive (threadlocker) to glue in the insert. I can find red loctite here but it costs something like $100. So that's gonna be my last resort, unless I can get from the states.

On to some good news, my seats are reupholstered!!!!! they look amazing and the cost was on the fair side also

Here they look white and black, but they're green and black

If you didn't believe me, here they are in all their green glory

Crappy photos courtesy of my crappy phone

Also I have another prob, I went to get my windshield cut and nobody dared to do it. So I had one made... But maybe I measured wrong or they messed up and now it's too big. It fits in the frame but there is no room what so ever for the rubber. I was thinking I could use urethane to stick it in there new car style
What do youz guyz think? Is it viable? Or would it simply not work

Last edited by shino166; July 26th, 2017 at 01:41 PM.
Old December 27th, 2013, 04:58 AM   #25
johnny27030
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

It will work, thats how I mounted my windshield. I love your build, and those seats look pretty awesome!
johnny27030 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
79, beetle, budget, noob, volksrod