Newest Member: Tylerted

Latest Threads
- by RichG
- by 1slo3
- by 1slo3

Old May 10th, 2005, 02:19 PM   #1
kaiser
Forum Member

but i can't find a good "how to" on lowering the rear suspension on my 74 std bug.
i know the torsion bars need to be turned, but in which direction ?
all the how to's i've found talk about swing axles and mine is irs.

i have an adjustable beam and 2.5" drop spindles up front, so i can get really low, but the ass looks like crap (no pun intended).

i know that the rearend is under intense tension so i want to be 100% clear before i try to do this, i don't want to lose an arm. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]

adjustable spring plates are a good idea, but they don't lower it much and are uber expensive.

i want to do it the right way, once.

can any of you steer me in the right direction ?

tia
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2005, 02:34 PM   #2
cdubvdub
Forum Member

all you have to do is pretty much raise the rear end and support it take the tire off, mark the pos. of the plate with some white out or something for refrence take the spring plate cover off and pry the spring plate off the bottom little stop thing.I think you have to unbolt the spring plate from the diagnal arm thing too i cant remember its like 3 19 mm bolts i tihnk but i havnt done it for a while Be carefull when pryinf the plate off the stop too cuz thats where it will shoot down. then pop it off the torsion bar and move it up however many notches that you want to. ide suggest about 2 if you want to be low it think its like a 3 inch drop 1.5" per spline or something like that. And if you want a little more you can go a couple iner splines but downt worry to much about that. then just put everything back together.
Old May 10th, 2005, 02:41 PM   #3
kaiser
Forum Member

thank you.

i know this must be a very newb question. i have done most of the work to my car myself, but i haven't taken the rear apart yet and i just wanted to be sure.

so let me get this straight:
the torsion bars do not have to come out.
i just need to remove everything in my way to get to the t-bars.
then just take off the spring plates and moove them up a spline or two.

i think i got it. thanks alot. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/bowdown.gif[/img]
Old May 10th, 2005, 03:30 PM   #4
cdubvdub
Forum Member

yep pretty much. When you take the spring plate off the bar might stay attached on the outside and come off on the inside tho so you can just stick it back in and adjust the outside
Old May 10th, 2005, 04:22 PM   #5
notched
Forum Member

A word of caution, be very carefull with that spring plate, it's under a lot of torque, and can rip fingers off. When you pry the spring plate to get it past the stop, it will pop down quite a bit. I don't know if this makes any sense.

A friend of mine made a tool from a stock VW jack for setting the spring plate (pulling it back up is the tough part), makes it easier to get back up. I'll see if I can take some pics.

--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkl Ian View Post
You will make a good wife, some day, John.
notched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2005, 04:39 PM   #6
notched
Forum Member

Here's a diagram for you:

It's a swing, but both swing and IRS have the spring plate and torsion bars set up very similar.

And a good link to lowering the rear on The Samba.

--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkl Ian View Post
You will make a good wife, some day, John.
notched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2005, 05:01 PM   #7
pistolpete76
Pinstriper Extraordinaire

the $20 torsion tool makes it a breeze too, nothing to be scared of when you got it clamped on
pistolpete76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2005, 07:35 PM   #8
cdubvdub
Forum Member

when i did mine i just was real carefull and pay attention to when it is almost about to pop off and you should be fine
Old May 11th, 2005, 03:00 AM   #9
kaiser
Forum Member

do you think it's a good idea to put a jack under the spring plate to slowly lower it down?

can i just remove the bolts that hold the spring plate to the trailing arm or do i have to take apart the brakes/trailing arm/remove axle ?
Old May 11th, 2005, 07:32 AM   #10
cybernotchback
Forum Member

Notched Wrote

A friend of mine made a tool from a stock VW jack for setting the spring plate (pulling it back up is the tough part), makes it easier to get back up. I'll see if I can take some pics.

I've see those, they work well. But there is another alternative that's ready made. I've done two rear lowering jobs, (both were on swing axels, but the procedure works the same for IRS). I used a McPhearson Strut spring compressor, (well half of one, they come as a pair). You know the kind that is like a long bolt, with a hook on the top part, and a double hook on the bottom. The small hook goes into a hole in the shock tower, and the double hook goes under the spring plate. Then just tighten down.

Notched is right, watch out for the tension on these bars, (it's enough to hold up a car +.... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img] ). If you are not careful, you are bound to loose a body part or two. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink.gif[/img]

If you have any questions PM me.
cybernotchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2005, 07:18 PM   #11
Scott H
Forum Member

If some pictures will help you, kaiser ... check out this page:
http://bugadventures.dyndns.org/vw/torsion/torsion.html
Click on the small pictures for a bigger pic and a description of what he's doing.
He's actually raising the rear on a Baja on that page but the procedure is the same .... just go the opposite direction. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]
Also, that page shows a swing axle but, like was said above, it's pretty much the same for swing or IRS.

You get different amounts of drop depending on whether you turn the inner or outer splines.
This page shows how many inner/outer splines to rotate for different amounts of drop:
http://bugbabe.co.uk/year_age.html#howlow
member #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-nor View Post
sliding volksrod discount, depending on how much i like you.
Scott H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2005, 12:54 AM   #12
Hebster52
Forum Member

To be really honest I have to say that the tension is not that though as it is told to be... atleast not on those I have done this on... Yes, it does kickdown slightly but not more than about an inch... Maybe the ones I've done have been worn out... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]

But off course dont sit under the springplate while pulling it out. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img]

HebsterWerks The secret workshop..
Hebster's projects in the introsection.
Cuttin' them splits up!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
"What stripping?... all I see is bare metal!"

Hebster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2005, 03:36 AM   #13
kaiser
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott H@May 11 2005, 10:18 PM
If some pictures will help you, kaiser ... check out this page:
http://bugadventures.dyndns.org/vw/torsion/torsion.html
Click on the small pictures for a bigger pic and a description of what he's doing.
He's actually raising the rear on a Baja on that page but the procedure is the same .... just go the opposite direction. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]
Also, that page shows a swing axle but, like was said above, it's pretty much the same for swing or IRS.

You get different amounts of drop depending on whether you turn the inner or outer splines.
This page shows how many inner/outer splines to rotate for different amounts of drop:
http://bugbabe.co.uk/year_age.html#howlow
<div align="right">Quoted post</div>

awesome link Scott H, thank you. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]

now i just need to set some time aside to get it done.
Old May 12th, 2005, 06:21 AM   #14
pistolpete76
Pinstriper Extraordinaire

loosen your handbrake cables way off, unbolt everything off the springplate. that was a good idea about the spring compressor, many things would work now that ive seen what it takes to get that plate off the perch, i liked the torsion tool for setting it back in, because you just screw the handle. i would think with caution a jack would work aswell. when you lower 2 outer notches you dont need anything to set the plate back on, because the plate now sits level with the ground roughly, theres no tension on it at all, only at stock setting or 1 outer notch max
pistolpete76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2005, 02:01 PM   #15
kaiser
Forum Member

i'll keep that in mind, thanks pete.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 09:41 PM   #16
RatRansom68
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums
Default Re: lowered rear suspension

how come no one has made a you tube video of this yet? i am going to attempt to do this on friday, but i will admit i am scared because who ever owned this car before me adjusted them to the max for lifting (it was a baja), so i know there is an assload of tension on em, wish me luck dudes!!
RatRansom68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2011, 09:43 PM   #17
RatRansom68
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

ya, i bumped an old ass thread, sorry
Old February 23rd, 2011, 06:59 AM   #18
Ace of Shades
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatRansom68 View Post
how come no one has made a you tube video of this yet? i am going to attempt to do this on friday, but i will admit i am scared because who ever owned this car before me adjusted them to the max for lifting (it was a baja), so i know there is an assload of tension on em, wish me luck dudes!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMxBo...eature=related

Its a vid of a square, but I'm sure its the same. I'm not sure what one of the 4 vids but he went through the math on what side moved how much.
I found it in a shop in Raton New Mexico. I bought it for a quarter. Cracked me up it was called a Gay Camper. It must be old as hell. They would pull that shit off the shelf now days. Because some Homo would get offended.
If you don't chew big red then FUCK YOU
Ace of Shades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011, 06:27 PM   #19
RatRansom68
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

sweet thanks shades!! that helps very much!